Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I heard they only didn't open it up because of how hectic having three lines for opening would be, so they were waiting for summer to be over and evaluate whether or not it was needed. Same wdwmagic thread said they do call for single riders quite a bit but also said about it being to hectic for it. Shame really because I love single rider lines and wish world used them more

Seven Dwarves would be such a good one for single riders. I mean, it'd increase actual through put on one of the most popular rides.

Seven Dwarves would be such a good one for single riders. I mean, it'd increase actual through put on one of the most popular rides.
I think that line moves pretty quickly with the way they have even/odd lines. Especially during the times when FP isn't available.

I loved GMR the last time I was there, but I think her time was fading fast, at least she gets to die with dignity this way.

Disney just can't win with some people, with EEA, people hated that attraction, but now everyone loves it as it goes away, sometimes people seem to be angry at Disney for no real reason.
That perfectly describes Maelstrom, both for me and the general consensus from what I remember. Great Movie Ride and Ellen's closing consensus both seem to match my thoughts: I liked them but it's time. Although the Great Movie Ride was one of my favorites it became a shell of itself once TCM stepped in. At least the best part (the montage at the end) will always live on in my heart. Gives me goose bumps every time when I rewatch it on YouTube

That perfectly describes Maelstrom, both for me and the general consensus from what I remember. Great Movie Ride and Ellen's closing consensus both seem to match my thoughts: I liked them but it's time. Although the Great Movie Ride was one of my favorites it became a shell of itself once TCM stepped in. At least the best part (the montage at the end) will always live on in my heart. Gives me goose bumps every time when I rewatch it on YouTube

I think with GMR most agree it needed to be updated but as it was that signature ride for the park that took you "into the movies" I think many preferred an update rather than a complete overhaul

I agree with you about Maelstrom and EEA though in that those seemed to get a lot more love when it was announced they were being closed (though I think the line for EEA died down pretty quick on the last day even)

God forbid Disney actually try and take care of their attractions. We'll just let them rot, then decide it's not worth the effort and close them. This is the kind of apathy and laziness that has brought them to the point of record low market share. The Great Movie Ride is a casualty of a failed era of park management.

While the Chinese theatre is staying the mickey ride isn't to be the focal point of the park. That's what Galaxies Edge is for

That happens every time something closes somewhere, no? Some are devastated, some don't care, most probably shrug it off and focus on what comes next. Internet is like that, I think. :)
I think more have been upset or sad about GMR than most things that have closed recently. GMR is one of those rides that just needed an update not to be shut down. Oh well onto Mickey and Minnie.

I think more have been upset or sad about GMR than most things that have closed recently. GMR is one of those rides that just needed an update not to be shut down. Oh well onto Mickey and Minnie.
Like I said, we'll miss it. Shelled out money to go to that WDWNT event to bid farewell.

If they had done a MAJOR re-work, we'd have been happy. But we're also personally ok with moving on.

Before FP+ there was NEVER a wait on GMR. I understand the nostalgia, but just don't believe that SO MANY PEOPLE out there are devastated. As always, those who are, are much louder. Human nature.

Thinking about it great movie ride needed an update but the problem was: update it with what? The movies featured are classics and represent some of the most famous of that respective genre at the time it opened. I think the fear was if they changed out a scene it would be changing out a classic for a fad

Edit: the thought just came to me and here it seemed relevant since we're talking about Ellen: is it true the final riders got evacuated?

Last edited:
Before FP+ there was NEVER a wait on GMR. I understand the nostalgia, but just don't believe that SO MANY PEOPLE out there are devastated. As always, those who are, are much louder. Human nature.

This is what I do not understand. Before FP+ the longest wait on this was what 30 minutes during busy season? I can't remember the last time we didn't make it straight into the Movie room before that time.

Disney is going away from Studios concept and felt like this didn't fit anymore.

A month or so after it opened we waited forever and people passed out in line waiting in the heat for it and even like just 10 years ago we waited through multiple preshows before boarding. I think the biggest reason though I'll miss it is the use of animatronics. Oh well...Mickey & Minnie I'm hoping you can wow me. Oh and I hope they leave a nod to Great Movie Ride somewhere in it.

I agree with this. I saw multiple multiple multiple viewings and streamings and recordings of GMR yesterday ... all day. Not so much with Ellen's Energy Adventure. I don't think I saw anything about it for the most part (I don't follow tons of Disney stuff, but that's sorta goes to show what was the most important).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!