Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Pandora, the detail is there, but it's more in the queues and landscape than the attractions it seems.
This supports my fear. The rides seem to be relying more on screens and less on detail. On GMR you could ignore the plot and still be immersed in the ride. I do think it needed to go but I sincerely hope that they don't abandon the old approach to attractions entirely.

In Pandora, the detail is there, but it's more in the queues and landscape than the attractions it seems.

This supports my fear. The rides seem to be relying more on screens and less on detail. On GMR you could ignore the plot and still be immersed in the ride. I do think it needed to go but I sincerely hope that they don't abandon the old approach to attractions entirely.

The Na'vi River ride is choking with detail. One could argue it's short at about 5 minutes, but every bit of that ride through had detail in it. I'd argue slowing down the water current once wait times fall would be a good idea. FOP is detailed in every part--queue, pre-ride video, and ride. Lack of detail is not something I'd use to describe anything in Pandora.

GMR's animatronics were looking their age, save perhaps the Wicked Witch. It was a ride that either needed a long, expensive refurb or a replacement.

The Na'vi River ride is choking with detail. One could argue it's short at about 5 minutes, but every bit of that ride through had detail in it. I'd argue slowing down the water current once wait times fall would be a good idea. FOP is detailed in every part--queue, pre-ride video, and ride. Lack of detail is not something I'd use to describe anything in Pandora.

GMR's animatronics were looking their age, save perhaps the Wicked Witch. It was a ride that either needed a long, expensive refurb or a replacement.
Completely agree. I wish NRJ was just a bit longer.

That's good to hear. I have yet to experience Pandora. My comments on the GMR really had nothing to do with the animatronics. In fact most of them were pretty lame. It's more about the stage setting

I think the Great Movie Ride fits so well as the central attraction because of it's content; a journey into the greatest films of all time. There is something so special to be put into the magic of the movies and losing that so an attraction that doesn't touch on those same feelings is a loss in my book. Even the Great Mickey Ride I was ok with because movies was at it's core; the Runaway Railway does far less to celebrate great cinema.

100%. I didn't hate it but I don't think I'd ever use a fastpass for it again. I'd rather double up on FoP during the course of the two AK visits
I'm really hoping flight of passage has the single rider line open when I get to see it. Speculation is they won't need it which upsets me

GMR will be missed. Always enjoyed riding it. Understand the reasoning behind it but it still a classic.
6n3i32O.jpg

kV23Cgi.jpg

kUDIYNr.jpg

Especially the Wizard of OZ part. Always cool.

I'm really hoping flight of passage has the single rider line open when I get to see it. Speculation is they won't need it which upsets me
I didn't even know it was supposed to offer it. Tbh I'm a big proponent for single riders and think other rides like tower of terror could use it

I didn't even know it was supposed to offer it. Tbh I'm a big proponent for single riders and think other rides like tower of terror could use it
I don't know if FoP will ever offer single rider. The capacity issues make me believe not. They even covered up the single rider sign.

Disney could have chosen to refurbish The Great Movie Ride. They could have changed it in many ways but kept the idea the same. However they are clearly veering off into a different direction at DHS (whatever that is) and I believe that is what killed the ride. I don't buy that it was too expensive to operate. Disney can afford it and assuming such things just makes Disney look cheap. The standard bearer among theme parks? I wonder sometimes how long that will last. We'll see.

I don't know if FoP will ever offer single rider. The capacity issues make me believe not. They even covered up the single rider sign.
From what I heard they only didn't open it up because of how hectic having three lines for opening would be, so they were waiting for summer to be over and evaluate whether or not it was needed. Same wdwmagic thread said they do call for single riders quite a bit but also said about it being to hectic for it. Shame really because I love single rider lines and wish world used them more

From what I heard they only didn't open it up because of how hectic having three lines for opening would be, so they were waiting for summer to be over and evaluate whether or not it was needed. Same wdwmagic thread said they do call for single riders quite a bit but also said about it being to hectic for it. Shame really because I love single rider lines and wish world used them more
At this point I'm not sure if they will ever use it.

Sad to see GMR go -- we even attended the WDWNT walk-through event the other night, which was great.

That said, we're also looking forward to what comes next.

We're in DHS right now (since before 8am), and longest GMR wait we saw so far was 110min... for a ride CLOSING FOREVER today. At times RnR line was longer.

Every ride is beloved by a certain contingent. And EVERY change Disney makes is dissed here -- no matter what. But maybe it's time for this one to changeover.

Sad to see GMR go -- we even attended the WDWNT walk-through event the other night, which was great.

That said, we're also looking forward to what comes next.

We're in DHS right now (since before 8am), and longest GMR wait we saw so far was 110min... for a ride CLOSING FOREVER today. At times RnR line was longer.

Every ride is beloved by a certain contingent. And EVERY change Disney makes is dissed here -- no matter what. But maybe it's time for this one to changeover.

I loved GMR the last time I was there, but I think her time was fading fast, at least she gets to die with dignity this way.

Disney just can't win with some people, with EEA, people hated that attraction, but now everyone loves it as it goes away, sometimes people seem to be angry at Disney for no real reason.

I loved GMR the last time I was there, but I think her time was fading fast, at least she gets to die with dignity this way.

Disney just can't win with some people, with EEA, people hated that attraction, but now everyone loves it as it goes away, sometimes people seem to be angry at Disney for no real reason.

It's just different people with different opinions. Everyone has a voice these days. People tend to use their voices more to complain. Too add to that, we humans tend to focus more on the negative. It doubles up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter