Grateful, Thankful, Blessed: our 25th Anniversary SeaWorld Celebration (Spring ’18 TR)

Since you had your butter tart fix - did you get your Shreddie fix as well? I know that you love those and you can't buy them in the States.

I read about butter tarts in a cozy mystery series!! That’s cool that they are real!!

Glad u joyed so, family time

They are real, and they are the best thing since mother's milk, sliced bread and the wheel ::yes::. If you've never had one, you need to plan a trip to Canada so you can see for yourself what all the fuss is about!

Since you had your butter tart fix - did you get your Shreddie fix as well? I know that you love those and you can't buy them in the States.

Would you believe that we made a special trip to Walmart for Shreddies and they didn't have a SINGLE BOX?? :sad: I ended up coming home empty handed. I a seriously a little broken hearted over that.

Glad you had a nice trip home! Loved getting to "meet" the family :)

They are real, and they are the best thing since mother's milk, sliced bread and the wheel ::yes::. If you've never had one, you need to plan a trip to Canada so you can see for yourself what all the fuss is about!

Funny enough, we lived about 3 hrs fromCanada in WA state about 6 yrs ago and never went!!

Glad you had a great weekend with your family. I've got some Shreddies in my cupboard and shredded wheat which I've just had for breakfast :thumbsup2

Hi thanks for sharing the pics of your family. Everyone looks so happy to be together. It is so nice to have a great visit when you miss people. We also visited family on our trip and it was so nice. We hadn't seen one family in 6 years and the other in 3. I can't wait to go back. Thanks I would love to share my report. We did have a great trip it was mostly weather issues which I haven't really encountered there before. It was new for us. We navigated it and still had a great time.

Here is a link to my trip report in progress.https://www.disboards.com/threads/another-great-trip-to-report-yay-june-july-2018.3693961/

Monday, May 7th: SeaWorld, continued :fish:

As we headed up to Wild Arctic, I reminded Steve that this exhibit was home to two new walrus babies, born right around a year prior. While the two babes were of such similar age that many would think they were twins, their entrances into the world were vastly different: Aku was an orphan calf from Alaska, while Ginger was born at SeaWorld Orlando to mom Kaboodle. Since we had only yet seen photos and videos of the adorable pair, I had my fingers crossed that they might be out in the exhibit that day so we could catch a glimpse of them in person.

The queue was completely empty as we approached. There was, quite literally, not a soul in sight :eek:.

31961382_10156731540181416_3553559484334866432_n.jpg

We had both had poor experiences on the motion side on previous visits, so we opted to do the “walking tour”……pretty sure it’s the same video clip without all the herky jerky, headache inducing movement of the motion simulator. We took our seats on the benches with maybe a dozen other guests (if that), the Team Member closed the door, and we enjoyed a helicopter expedition to the Arctic (brrrrr :cold:).

32169817_10156731539616416_6247062255955869696_n.jpg

After the ride, park goers pass through Base Station Wild Arctic and get to spend time with the animals that call the exhibit home.

32072720_10156731539571416_5947075287299653632_n.jpg

There are actually some pretty neat little tidbits of information in the displays, if you take the time to poke around a bit.

31956702_10156731539881416_2943986174856790016_n.jpg

Let me assure you, there’s enough cool (pun intended ;)) details to make me realize this girl is, and will NEVER be, tough enough to endure those conditions for ANY period of time. What can I say? Call me soft :o. Perhaps I lack the explorer spirit, but I can’t imagine living in that climate, under those circumstances, for more than a minute. I don’t like camping when its warm outside, can you imagine what it would be like in one of those Arctic base camps? :crazy2:

31959269_10156731539741416_4499857946351501312_n.jpg

31961305_10156731539796416_5572524284770779136_n.jpg

While the camp displays are intriguing and worth exploring, the real gems of this attraction are the animals. While it was oddly serene in there with almost no one else around (save for a wonderful Team Member who we enjoyed chatting it up with for a spell), it certainly was nice to have a great view of the stars of Wild Artic. We stood for the longest time and watched the beluga whale swim back and forth in the pool…..she didn’t pop up out of the water at any point for us to get a good look at that beautiful face, but her gracefulness was evident nonetheless.

32073080_10156731540106416_2958282879739625472_n.jpg

While Ginger and Aku were sadly not on exhibit that day :sad1:, we DID get to watch them play on the walrus cam that was stationed inside Wild Artic. My word, they are so stinking cute its almost criminal. Those little faces!!! :love: And while we didn’t get a chance to see the babies in person, we did get to see this handsome devil……..and oh, was he happy to indulge us in front of the massive windows of the tank.

32169209_10156731539671416_2448123992851087360_n.jpg

@chiamarie, correct me if I’m wrong, but this big dude is Garfield…yes?

We were standing at the walrus tank when a little girl and her mom came up and joined us. The little one was maybe 5 or 6 … perhaps kindergarten age or 1st grade at most. We were all quite fascinated for the longest time, watching that HUGE body move so gracefully in the water. As he bobbed around and turned toward the glass, his (ahem! :rolleyes1) anatomy came into full view…..at which point that sweet little child, in all of her innocence, said to her mother “Momma, he has the biggest belly button I’ve ever seen”. I swear Steve almost peed himself laughing, and that poor mother couldn’t beat a path to the exit fast enough :rotfl:. Oh, the innocence of youth.

After a tour through the gift shop as we exited (where I was sorely tempted to buy myself a stuffed polar bear or walrus to satisfy my inner child…..but somehow managed to find the strength to resist) we decided to stop at Mango Joe’s and have something to eat. Steve had specifically noted that he wanted to check out Mango Joe’s on this trip, and it made sense to do so then since we were literally right there. I had a feeling we would more than get our money’s worth on the dining plan that day ::yes::.

After a quick perusal of the menu (though this pic is just a partial)…..

37206047_10156894085546416_557776068312825856_n.jpg

…..we placed our order. Steve had “Joe’s ½ pound bacon burger” with a side of fries (though this photo shows much more detail on the fries than it does on the burger….d’oh! :headache:):

35847145_10156832569826416_9078852529147609088_n.jpg

I opted for the chicken parmesan sub with fries, which was on the second side of the menu board which I somehow missed snapping a photo of. Pretty sure it was around the $11.99 price point, or thereabouts.

35834404_10156832569816416_4180246868392935424_n.jpg

While we were both entitled to an additional side item, we opted to share some grapes: there was still much day ahead of us and we didn’t want to be too full, too early in the day. We also both had a beverage. Our out of pocket cost, had we not been on the dining plan, would have been between $35-40……so pretty much the price of one of our all day dining plans. Between our breakfast earlier in the day and this early lunch, we were almost at the break even point and it wasn’t even noon yet.

We easily found a table in their outdoor dining area, and enjoyed the fresh, warm spring air as we ate. A host of very adorable, and very persistent ducks meandered through the tables and worked hard at charming scraps from those who were dining. Steve may have fed a French fry or two to Mr. Duck ……

32089351_10156731514516416_8379921686341877760_n.jpg

…..for which he received a stern scolding from @chiamarie after the fact :guilty:. French fries are apparently even worse for ducks than they are for people. So as much as Mr. Duck gave us a very convincing story (and in our defense, he really did look famished), we know we should have sent him packing and have promised to refrain from sharing our lunches with the animal beggars in the future.

Public service announcement: DON'T FEED THE DUCKS.

I took a peek at the SeaWorld app as we finished off the last of our food (which was great, by the way…..Steve enjoyed his burger, and my chicken parm sub was tastier than I expected it to be!) and noticed that One Ocean was going to be starting in just over half an hour. Since we were literally right across from Shamu Stadium…..and feeling a tad full from lunch…..we figured it would be a great time to take in a show. We had a quick restroom break, took our grapes and the balance of our beverages to go, and headed into the stadium to select our seats.

31543274_10156731514181416_506385547665604608_n.jpg

Pre-show selfie! :teeth:

The park was quiet enough, and we arrived at the stadium early enough, that we managed to snag literally PERFECT seats: almost dead center of the stage and the first row outside of the splash zone. The only people to have better seats than us were those with reserved seating, and even then, their vantage point was only marginally better than ours. This was most certainly the best general seating we had ever scored for this show…..which explains the happy faces above.

32105559_10156731513491416_2406230903320739840_n.jpg

One Ocean isn’t my favorite show at the park (that honor goes to Dolphin Days), but it’s still pretty darn awesome and a “Do Not Miss” attraction at SeaWorld. The killer whales are such beautiful, strong, amazing creatures, and the show highlights their majestic personalities quite wonderfully.

31964160_10156731513576416_760614664894676992_n.jpg

32078354_10156731513646416_785096734396121088_n.jpg

32169596_10156731513691416_5035113512561541120_n.jpg

There were lots of big jumps, big waves, and big splashes to delight young and old. Those sitting in the soak zone and hoping for a cooling splash down were certainly not disappointed :umbrella:.

31961644_10156731513946416_7607602221953318912_n.jpg

32158780_10156731514096416_2370052731634188288_n.jpg

32163453_10156731514131416_2500450588735569920_n.jpg

31964127_10156731513816416_3547149511933558784_n.jpg

And as I sit here typing this entry, I’m listening to the One Ocean song on Youtube and counting the days until I’m back at the park:

Which reminds me….I must see if I can download the park soundtrack somewhere :scratchin. Is it weird that I especially love the Journey to Atlantis song, too?

32073909_10156731513746416_8535520337066983424_n.jpg

One song for a brand new day,
HEY A NA NA NA,
HEY A NA NA NA,
HEY A NA NA NA,
OH OH OH OH...

OH, HEY A NA NA NA,
HEY A NA NA NA,
HEY A NA NA NA,
OH OH OH OH...

OH, Ocean to ocean,
We stand by the shore,
All that comes after,
And what came before.

More to come!

Glad you had a nice trip home! Loved getting to "meet" the family :)

Thanks Joanna :goodvibes. I think the parents might be a little embarrassed to know I'm chatting about them on the internet, so we'll keep that our little secret ;).

Funny enough, we lived about 3 hrs fromCanada in WA state about 6 yrs ago and never went!!

Definitely keep them on your Canadian bucket list ::yes::. They are THAT GOOD!

Glad you had a great weekend with your family. I've got some Shreddies in my cupboard and shredded wheat which I've just had for breakfast :thumbsup2

I'm jealous!! Shreddies are my favorite cereal in the whole world! I should have stopped at a grocery store in Windsor before we crossed the border :headache:. We were so focused on getting home, it never even crossed our minds.

Hi thanks for sharing the pics of your family. Everyone looks so happy to be together. It is so nice to have a great visit when you miss people. We also visited family on our trip and it was so nice. We hadn't seen one family in 6 years and the other in 3. I can't wait to go back. Thanks I would love to share my report. We did have a great trip it was mostly weather issues which I haven't really encountered there before. It was new for us. We navigated it and still had a great time.

Here is a link to my trip report in progress.https://www.disboards.com/threads/another-great-trip-to-report-yay-june-july-2018.3693961/

Thanks for that link! :thumbsup2 I'll be definitely popping over to check it out. Relieved to know that you managed to enjoy your trip despite the crappy weather. Mother Nature can be a real brat sometimes!

I found your trip report in the midst of researching all things Discovery Cove. My husband finally agreed on a Discovery Cove/Sea World/Busch Gardens-focused week in 2019.
Really appreciate all of the details!

Is Troy home permanently in August? Or just for a visit before he heads back to Orlando?

He has one more year of college. He'd like to return to Orlando after graduation in May- and will look for a job in his field of study- graphic design/art. That will mean frequent Orlando trips or as we discussed here more mental health necessity trips!!:D

I'm absolutely going to look for these when we go to Ft. Erie!

I love your Sea World pictures! We're definitely planning to get AP's again!! Your pictures have convinced me how much I miss the park- and all the animals!!

Hi glad you will be popping over. I am enjoying your report as always.

I was bummed today about the new Discovery Cove pricing add on packages. I was so looking forward to what I had last time for next summer. It is going to be so much more money. I may have to rethink the plan. I feel bad though because it is her graduation gift. I didn't expect to have to pay so much more this time. The new pricing is so extreme from what it was. She deserves a great gift so we will figure it out. She is the kind of daughter who would not let me do it if she knew about the finances. I tell her not to worry about them it is our responsibility.

I thought of you this week. When we got home Charlie was starting some confused feelings about his life and future. Of course Olivia being who she is jumped on it and decided they should be just best friends for a bit. She really didn't want to but she wants him to be happy and be with her for the right reasons. They still love and care for each other and are so good to each other. I feel bad for her she has been sad, so I have had double time with talking with her. He has been in our lives for 3 and a half years. He considers us his family. He doesn't have a good one. I am glad that it is working out that nothing of his time with us has changed. They both would be so lost without each other. I know it will all work out but the mom in me feels sad to see them like that.

I love hearing how peoples fur babies respond when they get home. Ours were all over us, we had never been gone that long. It is what made coming home the easiest. Even after just a few days your babies were so glad to see you.:hug:

If I lived in Florida I think I could just wander into Seaworld each week, just to take in a show and enjoy the park. Wouldn't that be great??

Ha, that walrus. I would have laughed at loud. Great pictures and I always enjoy that Once Ocean show.

Your pictures always make me wonder why we haven’t done Seaworld yet! If our next trip wasn’t already planned for me to do the Wine and Dine 5k, Seaworld would be in my plans.

If I lived in Florida I think I could just wander into Seaworld each week, just to take in a show and enjoy the park. Wouldn't that be great??

I live 15 minutes away from SeaWorld. And believe me- I *do* go every week. It is one of my most favorite places in the world!

Love One Ocean!

You're not the only ones who feed the ducks/sea gulls. But I'm glad you won't be doing it anymore. It not only harms the animals but makes them a nuisance for others trying to peacefully eat their food. Those sea gulls can get very mean!

1- Yes, that's precious Garfield. I love him so much!
ETA: Pretty sure that's Nalulark in the photo of the beluga photo.

2-. It's my job as an ambassador of all animals, to teach about them. For ANY wild animal it's.always important to keep your distance, never touch, interact with, or feed them! Feeding them can be espically dangerous for several reasons. Like not giving proper food can cause them to get sick. But also, you're teaching that animal where to find food (from humans), and teaching them to get agressive with people when they don't give them food (we've had cases of squirrels jumping on people in wheelchairs and strollers with small children), I'm sure someone here can relate to being attacked by birds when the humans are eating and birds are around. They do this because their past experience tells them this is how to get food (rather than doing it the natural way). And thus how we get aggressive wild animals begging for food.

Okay, okay. I'm off my soapbox.

I live 15 minutes away from SeaWorld. And believe me- I *do* go every week. It is one of my most favorite places in the world!

Lucky you :goodvibes

I love sitting on the water front, especially that terrace outside the place where you used to be able to get free beer. The name escapes me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!