Grand Californian Super Thread

Thanks Aladora-- as I look at the map above, am I seeing correctly that this is a standard room north of the entry on the 3rd floor overlooking the parking lot?

You are mostly correct. The view is actually not the parking lot but instead over a small roof just below the balcony. To be honest, we really loved this because it made the balcony very private. It is at the end of the first hallway but the walk was very easy, in fact we took the stairs almost every time!

We have a standard room reserved for a short trip this November. This will be our first time staying at the Grand. If we want to minimize walking distance between the rooms and the parks, where should we try to request for a room location?

I booked a DD rate room for November 2-5 with my usual request of a room above the Napa Rose--in the 300's. I am not as picky about my view as much as liking this area for easy access. After reading though this thread, and really appreciating Nonsuch's great updates on the renovation, I am wondering if my request is going to put me in the construction zone or if that area will be completed by then. Also, I really really like taking a bath and am curious if most renovated rooms do not have baths and if I should revise my request.
Here's how I'd do it: It's really a matter of what is most important to you. If the bathtub is make that your first request, area the 2nd. If it's super-duper-really important to you, make it your only request. (I'd roll the dice and make it request #1, area #2 because renovations should be pretty close to done by Nov...)

Here's how I'd do it: It's really a matter of what is most important to you. If the bathtub is make that your first request, area the 2nd. If it's super-duper-really important to you, make it your only request. (I'd roll the dice and make it request #1, area #2 because renovations should be pretty close to done by Nov...)

Thank you--that makes sense. I'm going to follow your suggestion and roll those dice :).

I just completed a chat with a rep as we have a reservation at GC for the week of Thanksgiving, she informed me everything will be completed by then. I'm sooo excited to see the renovated rooms as I thought they were always just a tad too dark. This will be our 4th stay and I can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations. :banana:

We had a deluxe partial view room (3254 I think). It was amazing. With two teens we were a little concerned about the reports of small rooms but it was fine for us. We had a view of Goofy's Sky School (down for renovations), the big wheel and could even see quite a bit of WOC! Having a balcony was a great treat too. It was a renovated room but we hadn't been there before so I had nothing to compare it to. We were very happy with it!
Thanks for all the help and advice here.

Those rooms (above Storytellers) were not being worked on in late July (my last visit), but the carpet was protected by plastic and there were contractors walking through that area. Some rooms were marked as "construction restrooms".
If renovation has not started, it might start in mid September along with the Club Lounge (which was delayed from August).

The x300 rooms (above Storytellers and Napa Rose) are the last large blocks of rooms left for renovation.

Ok thanks. We're staying in 3 weeks so our favorite room in the x300s wouldn't be ready. I guess we'll stick with the X234 rooms that we had back in April and August.

Interested to know, too. I have CL booked in December and I hope it's back where it's always been and not in a temporary location!
I asked about the temporary location in late-July, since the lounge remodel was announced to start in August. The lounge CM said the remodel was delayed to mid-September (16th, if I recall correctly), and still did not know the temporary location. I hope the lounge is done in early November, for our Dapper Day visit -- certainly expect it will be done by December.

Some rumors about lounge changes:
  • more windows, or perhaps glass wall
  • larger food counter along long wall
  • counter style seating on patio.

I asked about the temporary location in late-July, since the lounge remodel was announced to start in August. The lounge CM said the remodel was delayed to mid-September (16th, if I recall correctly), and still did not know the temporary location. I hope the lounge is done in early November, for our Dapper Day visit -- certainly expect it will be done by December.

What they should do is have it open earlier and later. It's useless for breakfast if you are trying to do EMH.

OOOOh. That sounds really nice!! I hope they hurry up so people can go and take lots of pics!!

We're non-residents planning to purchase AP's for trips in December this year and October next. Question: Does the AP need to be activated at the park in order to qualify for the AP discount for the GCH? This is assuming they have one like they currently do through September (30% off).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!