Grand Californian Super Thread

Just checked out and am headed back to the airport :sad:

We had a wonderful stay at the Grand. We were in two connecting standard view rooms which had not been renovated yet (rooms 3201 & 3203). They were however the most conveniently located rooms we've ever had staying there and having connecting rooms was more important to us.
do u have any room pictures?

can a standard room have a monorail view??

It CAN but no guarantees.

They sell way more "standard" rooms than just the inventory available facing the parking lot so it is not uncommon to get something else. I have had the Courtyard view with a standard room reservation many times, but if you WANT something else you gotta pony up for that room level.

It CAN but no guarantees.

They sell way more "standard" rooms than just the inventory available facing the parking lot so it is not uncommon to get something else. I have had the Courtyard view with a standard room reservation many times, but if you WANT something else you gotta pony up for that room level.

i know requests do not guarantee anything, it was just a question since i didn't know standards could have views of the monorail.
wish i could "pony' up and pay for a full park view room (i'd love it) but coming from Canada I have to add 30% to everything so a $400 room for you is $520 for me!
we are going to be thrilled to staying at the grand, i've make my room request and now i am going to just wait and see what we get when we arrive -- it will be a magical vacation for us, not matter what room we get.

We've had a "standard view" room at the Grand before and it overlooked Goofy's sky school in DCA. It was a nice surprise as we were expecting a parking lot view. I don't think making requests ahead of time hurts and you can always chat with the CM when you're checking in, too.

You have selected the best room category for a view of the monorail :thumbsup2
The monorail passes through the courtyard, approximately at the 2nd floor.

You might try a simple request: View of the monorail, top floor (or high floor)

Path of monorail (RED line)
Courtyard view, all floors (GREEN, YELLOW)
Woods view, lower floors (ORANGE)

5th floor is the top floor in the Green area.
6th floor is the top floor in the Yellow area, often assigned to Club Level.
The Orange area is likely a mix of Woods and Park view.

View attachment 261565

Thank you so much for the information and map. This really helps me figure out exactly where the woods/courtyard view is. DH and I are so excited for this view, we have often said it would be so cool to have one of those rooms just so we can sit and watch the monorail (DH is a huge monorail fan too). The last 2 times we have stayed at GCH we have stayed in the DVC section and both times we have had a gorgeous view of PP. Even though we absolutely loved the park views that we had, this view will be such a wonderful change and we are so excited by it :goodvibes

We just stayed at GCH on the 15th & 16th. We booked a Premium View room with the AP special. I had requested connecting rooms and near the elevator by Napa Rose, due to having arthritis in my knees, hips and lower back. My family that I was traveling with are "open to close" type people & I wanted to be able to get back to my room as quickly as possible when the pain flared up.

When we checked in, we were assigned 5250 and 5248 - about as far from those elevators as you can be. The CM told me the rooms near that elevator are currently being renovated and he couldn't find me any rooms any closer than where we were put. No rooms at all. But I would love the rooms they gave us! He also told us they would be testing the fire alarms both days of our stay. We did hear them the second afternoon as we were heading back into the park, but otherwise, not a problem.

They were nice rooms - renovated - and 5248 has a bathtub. The view was of Goofy's Sky School. They were clean and comfy and we got chocolates on our pillows each night. But it was a very long walk after being in the parks all day. And late on our second night (after midnight), both our rooms smelled like sewer or sulfur. My niece opened the patio door and it was much stronger out there, so at least we knew it wasn't something in the room.

We ate breakfast at White Water Snacks both days. On Wednesday, it was before EMH and the line for the DCA entrance wrapped around WWS and doubled back. When we finished eating, people were still getting in that line but we went to the front gates. :)

ETA: The FPs for the AP rate were supposed to be added digitally to our tickets but my sister and niece's tickets were picked up at guest services by their friend (they were complimentary Club 33 tickets) so they just printed out the FPs for all of us.

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments on this thread. We three adults are staying at GCH Sept 6-10 in a standard room. I've seen some talk about making requests for certain rooms. What kind of options do we have? We've obviously never stayed there before. We have no special needs. TIA!

...We three adults are staying at GCH Sept 6-10 in a standard room. I've seen some talk about making requests for certain rooms. What kind of options do we have? ...
You might want to request bed types. If 2 queen beds works for you, there should be no problem (that is the most common configuration). If 3 beds are needed, 2 queens and a daybed (convertible sofa) are available (more common post-renovation, but unconfirmed exactly how common).

I wanted to update the thread with room info. Room 3131 is a standard view, refurbished with 2 queens and a day bed. The bathroom has been done but it still has a bath tub. Keurig but the k-cups are not Mickey ones.

The one downside of the new rooms is that the outlets with the USB ports have a high pitched noise that can be heard by some people. (I can hear it, DH and DS can only hear it if they put their ears really close.) Seems to be an odd issue with the inverter.

My wife has very sensitive hearing and never said a word which I am sure she would have had

Jack

You have selected the best room category for a view of the monorail :thumbsup2
The monorail passes through the courtyard, approximately at the 2nd floor.

You might try a simple request: View of the monorail, top floor (or high floor)

Path of monorail (RED line)
Courtyard view, all floors (GREEN, YELLOW)
Woods view, lower floors (ORANGE)

5th floor is the top floor in the Green area.
6th floor is the top floor in the Yellow area, often assigned to Club Level.
The Orange area is likely a mix of Woods and Park view.

View attachment 261565

Does anyone know if the green courtyard rooms are renovated? We have a tpv but would be willing to do courtyard if there's a possibility of getting into room quicker. Also can you hear downtown Disney from green courtyard rooms?

My wife has very sensitive hearing and never said a word which I am sure she would have had

Jack

It's not so much sensitive, it's more the range. I apparently can hear a very high range so can hear this. (Lucky for him, DH resisted the urge to make a joke about dogs and their ability to hear high pitch noises!)

Does anyone know if the green courtyard rooms are renovated? We have a tpv but would be willing to do courtyard if there's a possibility of getting into room quicker. Also can you hear downtown Disney from green courtyard rooms?
The "green" rooms should be already renovated, work was in progress in May.
You will not be able to hear DTD.

map_gch-monorail-jpg.261565

The "green" rooms should be already renovated, work was in progress in May.
You will not be able to hear DTD.

map_gch-monorail-jpg.261565

Can I piggy-back on your post since the map is right here? Do you happen to know whether the 300-324 section has been renovated yet? Thanks.

Is there a map of the Grand Californian that can be printed showing the room numbers? I want to have a visual when I dream plan. (I am planning to win the lottery!). I've looked through this thread and a lot of the pictures are blocked. If so, could you please direct me to where? Thank you very much.

Seriously,
I would love to spend our 35th wedding anniversary (2018) at Disneyland Grand Californian. So, if I can start planning now, maybe it could happen.

...Do you happen to know whether the 300-324 section has been renovated yet?
Those rooms (above Storytellers) were not being worked on in late July (my last visit), but the carpet was protected by plastic and there were contractors walking through that area. Some rooms were marked as "construction restrooms".
If renovation has not started, it might start in mid September along with the Club Lounge (which was delayed from August).

The x300 rooms (above Storytellers and Napa Rose) are the last large blocks of rooms left for renovation.

Is there a map of the Grand Californian that can be printed showing the room numbers? I want to have a visual when I dream plan...
This is the best quality map I have found.
A few minor details have changed, although I just downloaded it from the DVC member site.
map_gch_full_web.jpg

We are also visiting for Dapper Day, so I hope that information is correct.

My guess at renovation progress:
Most of the front of the hotel is complete, which includes the majority of Standard View rooms (GREEN).
Some rooms surround the lobby are done, but perhaps not all (no color).
(Hallway carpet has not been replaced in some areas)
The rooms above World of Disney are actively being renovated (RED).
(I think this part only recently started, so perhaps a month to complete)
Rooms above Storytellers and near Grizzly Peak have not been done (YELLOW).

Rooms near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose, will also likely be near construction.

View attachment 258364

I booked a DD rate room for November 2-5 with my usual request of a room above the Napa Rose--in the 300's. I am not as picky about my view as much as liking this area for easy access. After reading though this thread, and really appreciating Nonsuch's great updates on the renovation, I am wondering if my request is going to put me in the construction zone or if that area will be completed by then. Also, I really really like taking a bath and am curious if most renovated rooms do not have baths and if I should revise my request.

I booked a DD rate room for November 2-5 with my usual request of a room above the Napa Rose--in the 300's. I am not as picky about my view as much as liking this area for easy access. After reading though this thread, and really appreciating Nonsuch's great updates on the renovation, I am wondering if my request is going to put me in the construction zone or if that area will be completed by then. Also, I really really like taking a bath and am curious if most renovated rooms do not have baths and if I should revise my request.

Room 3131 has been renovated and has a bath. It is not above Napa Rose though.

Room 3131 has been renovated and has a bath. It is not above Napa Rose though.

Thanks Aladora-- as I look at the map above, am I seeing correctly that this is a standard room north of the entry on the 3rd floor overlooking the parking lot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter