Grand Californian Super Thread

I have mentioned the plumbing issues and the "gurgling" sinks that we have had on a couple of visits. I did a search for "gurgling sinks" and Grand Californian and found that in a couple of reviews on travel websites (TripAdvisor maybe?). I also mentioned this in a survey that Disney sent me. The sinks have been loud enough to wake me up...and when you are in Disney, you need all the sleep you can get, lol. I think they are aware of plumbing issues and it must be too expensive or complicated to fix....Of course the issues brought up by a PP sound like maybe just clogged drains. I did call maintenance and they knew right away what I was talking about, but the issue continued.

They need a MUCH better drainage system. If they can't do that.. then they NEED to be on top of removing the hair so that the next person is not standing in ankle deep water. SO .. SO.. GROSS! With all the money that one spends to stay there that should not happen.

They need a MUCH better drainage system. If they can't do that.. then they NEED to be on top of removing the hair so that the next person is not standing in ankle deep water. SO .. SO.. GROSS! With all the money that one spends to stay there that should not happen.

ITA. The fact that they have had plumbing issues for years is ridiculous....I do LOVE the hotel, don't get me wrong. Heck, I wish I were there NOW. But I don't understand why they don't fix the plumbing/drainage. As far as I know, the other two DLR hotels don't have this issue.

ITA. The fact that they have had plumbing issues for years is ridiculous....I do LOVE the hotel, don't get me wrong. Heck, I wish I were there NOW. But I don't understand why they don't fix the plumbing/drainage. As far as I know, the other two DLR hotels don't have this issue.

Me too! The hotel is AMAZING and the new rooms are gorgeous..I'd stay there any day! We have exclusively stayed at the grand for the last few years and this by far was the worst plumbing issue we encountered. We have never had excellent drainage..but this was a mini foot bath. We stayed at the paradise pier in 2013 and I don't remember any issues...?? I just hope they can fix it or add cleaning the drains on the list of things to do before renting a room out. It was just a little but of a bummer since it was a new room and I was hoping for "perfection" ..:)

I currently have reservations for a standard room, but I'm reconsidering.

When I made my reservation, I had asked for a room with a bunk bed and trundle. I hear the bunks are kind of small, would a 5'4" kid be uncomfortable in one of the bunks or trundle? I assume our 4' and 4'6" kids will easily fit.

I'm wondering how much nicer the renovated room are though and if I should definitely request one of them instead. The DTD view and a premium park view room sound intriguing, trying to decide if I want to spend the extra money.

Thanks for any input! :)

I'm thinking of upgrading to theme park view/premium and am going to listen to nonsuch and ask for room near the elevator adjacent to napa rose but I really want a new room. Does anyone know if the theme park rooms that face park near napa rose, have those rooms been renovated yet? Does anyone have any updates? Thanks!

I'm thinking of upgrading to theme park view/premium and am going to listen to nonsuch and ask for room near the elevator adjacent to napa rose but I really want a new room. Does anyone know if the theme park rooms that face park near napa rose, have those rooms been renovated yet? Does anyone have any updates? Thanks!

I don't think so. As of last week looks like the wing from the lobby to DTD was done at least on the upper floors...rooms on the south side of Courtyard view near the main elevator were very much under construction and the rooms towards Napa Rose had not yet begun.

Not a huge percentage of rooms are complete...the whole renovation is still scheduled to last through November.

Ok thanks. There's no reason for me to upgrade then. Maybe it's could upgrade for pool view room as some of them have been renovated!

I'm also recently returned; had a renovated room (requested and received). Loved the room! Everything worked perfectly. The only "funny" thing was they apparently couldn't decide which side to put the shower seal on, as it changed each day! We had a standard view, 6th floor.

I don't think so. As of last week looks like the wing from the lobby to DTD was done at least on the upper floors...rooms on the south side of Courtyard view near the main elevator were very much under construction and the rooms towards Napa Rose had not yet begun.

Not a huge percentage of rooms are complete...the whole renovation is still scheduled to last through November.
I just booked theme park view also and am trying to get a sense of the rooms. Are all pool room views done? Where is main elevator. Do they only do the top floors or do they do all floors when they revamp? Does anyone know how long each section takes?

Hopefully someone at the Grand since MaxPass started will be able to answer this (or someone who's booked a package yesterday or today); There was a brief period of time a month or so ago when people were booking packages and a message 'Your package includes MaxPass' popped up. Is MaxPass being offered as a perk to onsite guests?

Hopefully someone at the Grand since MaxPass started will be able to answer this (or someone who's booked a package yesterday or today); There was a brief period of time a month or so ago when people were booking packages and a message 'Your package includes MaxPass' popped up. Is MaxPass being offered as a perk to onsite guests?

I totally remember that! It had appeared for a brief moment that max pass will be given to onsite guests but I think they changed their mind!

I really agree with this. Paying the premium to stay onsite should have more perks than they do currently. The costs are getting crazy! I looked at October and GCH was like $632 or something. That's crazy high.

Yep. And that's for a room without a view, too. :(

Is there a best time to make a room request? My DW suggested I should call them the day before we check in, because they usually assign the exact rooms a day ahead of time. I have Downtown Disney view reservations and want to get 5th floor - Napa Rose elevator side based on suggestions I read earlier in this thread.

Thanks!

Is anyone having luck getting a room w/ the daybed? I thought I heard they weren't adding too many of them?

ETA- can you even book for 5 there anymore?

Last edited:
just booked standard room for 3rd week in august, looking at making room requests - renovated & high floor! any point in asking for a room near the elevators by napa rose?
or other suggestions?

just booked standard room for 3rd week in august, looking at making room requests - renovated & high floor! any point in asking for a room near the elevators by napa rose?
or other suggestions?

I would call just to confirm what kind of beds you need, just to be sure, since the hotel is in transition.

Is there a best time to make a room request? My DW suggested I should call them the day before we check in, because they usually assign the exact rooms a day ahead of time. I have Downtown Disney view reservations and want to get 5th floor - Napa Rose elevator side based on suggestions I read earlier in this thread.
That would put you above World of Disney. A nice view of fireworks, but a rather long walk to the room (when DCA is closed).
I make requests at least a week in advance.
Is anyone having luck getting a room w/ the daybed? I thought I heard they weren't adding too many of them?
ETA- can you even book for 5 there anymore?
A post from last month said there will be 300 convertible sofas (aka daybeds), previously there were only 39.
5 is still the occupancy limit for regular hotel rooms. 4 is the limit when booked with a convention rate (Gay Days, Dapper Day...).
or other suggestions?
It does not hurt to ask to be near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose, although the majority of Standard View rooms are at the front of the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!