Grand Californian Super Thread

I'm also frustrated that Pool and Park views are combined.

I can see why they did that though...unless you are in one of the few rooms on the 5th or 6th floor in the DVC wing and overlooking Paradise Bay, the rest of what they were calling "theme park" views were VERY cruddy views of the the park IMO. I have stayed in a few rooms that overlook areas like Condor Flats and Grizzly Peaks from just shear dumb luck on Standard Room reservations and always said to myself ..."man if I was paying top dollar for a Theme Park view I would be pretty ticked!"

The rooms that overlook WOC are awesome theme park views, but there are only a few of those with a great view.

Personally I love the Courtyard View with the Monorail running through it.

I assume the "Convertible Sofa" is what has been described (perhaps inaccurately) as a daybed.
300 of these beds is much better than the 39 daybeds prior to the renovation.
gch_daybed-jpg.241227

I can't 'see' the scale. Are these long enough to sleep an adult up to, say, 6 ft tall?

We just checked in today for 6 days. We are in a refurbed room, 5014. I like the shower, the couch/extra bed is not bad. I do like the space under the beds for luggage, very nice.

The scaffolding is up in the corner by the lobby store but it isn't huge. I do have to say that it was a little disconcerting to walk in, see the scaffolding and then a fire alarm testing. They warned us that they are doing them today and tomorrow but only from 11:00-3:00.

Do they still do the Grand Quest? If so what does it entail and what it he 'prize' at the end? Anyone know if they still have rooms with the bunk beds, I know they're getting rid of them but would love to have one this trip.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the old rooms with bunk beds or new rooms with sofa bed would be a better option for family of 4 which includes 13yo and 15yo.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the old rooms with bunk beds or new rooms with sofa bed would be a better option for family of 4 which includes 13yo and 15yo.

The new rooms. The bunk beds were small. Although, as a party of only 4, you can request a daybed but it won't be guaranteed.

Hi, not sure if this has been recently covered, I did read several pages trying to find my answer. So far which areas/rooms have been renovated? From what I have read here, standard rooms (x100) and some a courtyard view (x000) only? Any other new visit updates about this? Coming in August and have booked woods/courtyard but am up to standard as I'm more interested in trying the new rooms. Thanks!

This was an impromptu stay! DD and bf had a long vaca planned after college graduation. I knew the ending was at DLR. Somehow I convinced dh we NEEDED to be there too.

Dh really wanted DLH but I booked PV cl at GCh instead. He raved over and over and he doesn't usually get so impressed. We only had Friday, Saturday and 2 hours Sunday morning before heading to the airport.

The new rooms really made for a better overall experience. The lobby wasn't any inconvenience because only small sections are getting done at a time. The pool was nice and we enjoyed a meal at Napa Rose too!

We loved that side entrance into DCA. Line got long but it moved really fast!

CL for breakfast and lunch at 11 worked because our jetlag really confused our tummies! Light meals worked great!

Food was always fresh and well stocked. Lots of good mornings and welcoming feeling. We felt comfortable there. The outside was really our favorite spot.

For checkout day they were firm on lounge access ending at 11am. However you can still use the pool. They said go to lobby for a key to access pool if needed.

We got free valet. I don't know if that is all guests or cl. I didnt know until I got the receipt on Sunday. The kids used it a lot so that saved me $$$.

Kids were supposed to arrive Sat am. Then dd calls and said bf will bring her to us Friday night instead. As a treat I booked them their own room std at GCH(they had marriott sat-tues). I requested a new room for them and they got a nice room on the 4th floor facing entrance from the end where dvc is.

They needed to add a day to hoppers. At cl desk they said either do in lounge or main lobby any time on last day. This was nice at wdw you have to do BEFORE use last day. Only $20 to add a day!

DH said I did a great job planning and he had a great time! Phew!

He insisted that the resort location was the only way to go and cl just made it so easy.

Any q's I will try to answer. Usually I get more pix but boy I walked 11 miles a day even with pool and nap time!
Question, you had a premium view and it was renovated? Do you know the room number/location if your room? I'm coming in August and thought to date, only standard and some woods views were renovated. Thanks!

@AlaskaMomof2

Yes look at the maps from nonsuch . I had 6218 . That wing has new rooms. They have pool view but I spent so much time in lounge it didn't matter. However dh loves being up high he loved it.

If you go back and read form may 1 forward you will see where I asked many times about this. If you follow from there you will see all the suggestions I got. It should help because I got just what I wanted .

Also I called the regular number (someone posted for me ) and made my request.

Good luck!

I am planning a first time trip to Disneyland from Sept 30-Oct. 4. We have reserved a Woodland/Courtyard view room at GCH. Is there a specific room number or wing of rooms that you suggest I request? Also, how do you request those at Disneyland?? I am a WDW veteran but the whole Disneyland reservation system has me baffled. (I am used to being able to make changes, requests, and cancellations all on the WDW site.) Someone mentioned a direct number to call... can I get that number from someone?? Thanks for you help!!

...So far which areas/rooms have been renovated?...
Nothing official from Disney, but progress seems to be about 10% per month of 2017 -- so about 60% renovated. There are likely renovated rooms of all view types, but most of the standard view rooms at the front of the hotel are done.

The area in green has been renovated.
The area in yellow was being renovated in late May, and likely complete.
Some rooms around the lobby, and other areas are likely also renovated.
map_gch_reno_guess.jpg

...We have reserved a Woodland/Courtyard view room at GCH. Is there a specific room number or wing of rooms that you suggest I request?...
Try the main number: (714) 635-2300

Courtyard view are shown in brown.
Woods view are often the green (park view) rooms on lower floors or obstructed by trees (woods).
Booked in the woods/courtyard category, I would simply request a "woods" view -- of course I dislike rooms that face other rooms (most courtyard rooms).
My usual requests (no matter the view type) is: "Located near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose".
(which is near the entrance to DCA)
map_gch_views_web.jpg

Hi, all! Would appreciate some input.

We are booked for late august in a standard view room for 5 of us.

Would the only location of a standard view only face Disneyland drive or are there other location possibilities?

Since we are 5, does that mean the room would be 2 beds and the couch/day bed?

Where is the area to view Disneyland fireworks?

TIA! :thanks:

Hi, all! Would appreciate some input.

We are booked for late august in a standard view room for 5 of us.

Would the only location of a standard view only face Disneyland drive or are there other location possibilities?

Since we are 5, does that mean the room would be 2 beds and the couch/day bed?

Where is the area to view Disneyland fireworks?

TIA! :thanks:
Hate to break it to you but Disneyland fireworks can only be viewed from the esplanade between the parks (idk if security even allows that anymore) or in Disneyland, no GCH viewing option unless you are staying club level & even then you only see the top half of the show.

Hate to break it to you but Disneyland fireworks can only be viewed from the esplanade between the parks (idk if security even allows that anymore) or in Disneyland, no GCH viewing option unless you are staying club level & even then you only see the top half of the show.
Thanks! :thumbsup2

I thought I had seen many comments from people who could see them from their DTD view rooms?

I thought I had seen many comments from people who could see them from their DTD view rooms?
That would make sense to me because I had a very obstructed limited view while dining at Catal once, many years ago. It would seem like the top floor would also have a minimal obstructed view. Actually, now that I think about it, I had a partial view on the tram last week which makes even more sense that the top floor of the Grand on that side would have a partial view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter