GoPro... a wise choice?

psimon

Will travel for turkey legs!
Have a few trips coming up over the next year, including WDW, Disney Cruise and Disney Paris.

On the Disney Cruise there will be scuba diving.

Until a year ago, I used to take my Canon SX40 HS and my iPhone 6+. It has since been replaced with an iPhone 8+.

The last couple of trips I only used the iPhone for photos and left the Canon at home.

Debating whether a GoPro 6 is a wise choice at this time. I realize that without it there will be no scuba pictures. I also saw someone with the gimballed mount to make really smooth videos. A really neat toy.

So... am I foolish to consider a GoPro? Should I just use the iPhone? Use the Canon as well?

Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

---Paul in Southern NJ

We have one and love it for “fun” shots but I’m never really happy with the stills for high quality images. We play with it at the water parks, on the dashboard on road trips to make time lapse films, on the dash when we go through Bearizona, to take time lapse videos on Christmas mornings, and other random odd things. I wouldn’t use it to take all of our vacation photos. For one it is wide angle and not a flattering length for portraits of people. The battery also isn’t great, we always keep a couple of backups from amazon. I would use it together with the iPhone, it’s fun to play with but doesn’t replace a camera for us.

We have one and love it for “fun” shots but I’m never really happy with the stills for high quality images. We play with it at the water parks, on the dashboard on road trips to make time lapse films, on the dash when we go through Bearizona, to take time lapse videos on Christmas mornings, and other random odd things. I wouldn’t use it to take all of our vacation photos. For one it is wide angle and not a flattering length for portraits of people. The battery also isn’t great, we always keep a couple of backups from amazon. I would use it together with the iPhone, it’s fun to play with but doesn’t replace a camera for us.

Thanks. I have always wanted one but was having a hard time justifying its practicality. Sounds like a nice toy but not a serious camera for travel. Seems I will probably not get one and look elsewhere for something waterproof and maybe less expensive.

Many thanks for the insight...

---Paul in Southern NJ

We used one for our trip to WDW and our DCL. It was a great addition to our traveling gear. It was really nice to relive some of the adventures and to record on such a small item. My wife manned the GoPro usually and I had my Nikon DSLR. I was able to shove the gopro with a handle thingy into my pockets most of the time, just so small. I highly recommend one and also to use it before your trip. We bought ours like a week before we left and didnt have much time to figure out exactly how to get good videos. The prices have come down since we bought Hero6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter