• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good, Bad, & Ugly of 10/17 - 10/24

goodeats

DIS Veteran
Just got back last night after a great week in The World! I know I found these reviews helpful while I was planning:

The Good
  • The parks and resorts looked beautiful and we didn't notice any attractions working less than their best. In the early 2000's I don't think you could always say that.
  • We had great experiences with transportation. Staying at the Beach Club we took buses to/from MK and AK. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus. We once went from the Beach Club to Fort Wilderness in under an hour. I thought that was pretty good. We also waited for a bus to the Poly from AK around 9:00 for breakfast and a van took us directly there.
  • As a DL regular the MK never had blown me away, but this trip I LOVED it. The new Fantasyland was amazing and I especially appreciate the spacious hub. The entertainment at MK seems to be a higher quality than DL - at least the dancers and parades. The Hocus Pocus show and Halloween parade was a highlight!
  • For the most part CMs were great
  • Food was very good and we enjoyed our Food & Wine events (culinary demo and French luncheon)
  • Since I booked our FP+ at exactly 60 days out we got to ride all our headliner must-dos. Using early ADRs, MNSSHP, EMHs, and FP+ we got to ride a lot of rides.
The Bad
  • I don't think I would travel in October again. The weather was fine, but I was constantly saying "I can't believe how many people are here!" Not just attraction queues, but in the resorts, the restaurants, the walkways. None of our park days I would describe as "light" attendance.
  • I had no luck changing my FP+ times while I was there. If I had a morning FP+ for a headliner than I had to use it or risk not getting to ride. There was zero flexibility. 4th and 5th FPs are for things like Figment, Living Seas, or Stitch - um, no thanks! I understand they are spreading the "wealth" but I still don't like it.
  • I was not impressed with the F&W booths - $15 for greasy food and a tiny glass of wine. The wines were not super high quality either. The Festival Chardonay was not good at all. See my comments on "ugly"
  • Service and quality at the restaurants seemed to decline since last visit, probably due to dining plan. I used TIW and rarely felt compelled to add to the 18% tip. Menus seemed very repetitive from restaurant to restaurant
The UGLY
  • At least on Friday and Saturday - the reports on Epcot being a frat party were right! Big crowds, long lines, drinking teams, etc. If I'm ever back for the festival I will stick to the events. I didn't see any BAD behavior, but it wasn't exactly family friendly.

Another bad-I was there the exact same dates as you and yet we never got to meet! Otherwise I think your assessment of the time is spot on. And like you, after 7 years of October visits, I'm reconsidering that time.

The Bad
  • I don't think I would travel in October again. The weather was fine, but I was constantly saying "I can't believe how many people are here!" Not just attraction queues, but in the resorts, the restaurants, the walkways. None of our park days I would describe as "light" attendance.

Another bad-I was there the exact same dates as you and yet we never got to meet! Otherwise I think your assessment of the time is spot on. And like you, after 7 years of October visits, I'm reconsidering that time.

The good 'ol days of low crowds are gone unfortunately. At least with the current, pretty good, state of the economy. We were there the last week of Sept, historically in THE slowest time of the year. This was our 5th visit that same week within the last 6 years, and the crowds were the heaviest of any previous year. Not enough to be "bad", but if you don't go in October, when else would you go? Not sure any other options would be any better crowd wise. I sometimes think about going at a different time just to see a change of decorations. A little too used to the Halloween decorations at MK.

Dan

I usually go the week after Thanksgiving and I've had pretty good luck so far. But as someone said, slow times are pretty much a thing of the past. I love the Christmas decorations and the overall festive feel of the parks and the resorts.

I went once in October during F&W and said never again. It was really hot and Epcot was crazy crowded. It was really difficult to walk around the WS. I didn't see any bad behavior, but I did follow a girl whose friends were practically carrying her through the park. Given how hot it was, and how badly I felt because of the heat, she may have been having the same or worse issues with the heat as I was. But given the guilty looks her friends kept giving us, I suspect it was a little too much to drink. I felt pretty sorry for her no matter what was wrong with her. She had to be miserable and so were her friends.

Our only trip to WDW was the first 2 weeks of May and we loved it.

The weather was beautiful and the crowds we thought were very manageable.

We will definetly go back at that time again.

I was there for a week last October and found for food and wine do it for lunch and stay away from The weekend. I don't believe there is slow times anymore. I do enjoy going in May flower and garden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter