• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

golf cart vs. rental car?

texmom

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and I have a question about the golf carts. We will be at Disney from Dec 7-15th, splitting our stay between Fort Wilderness Cabins and the Polynesian (four nights each). We currently have rental car ressies but I am considering switching to a town car so I can afford to rent a golf cart while at FW. The cost should be about the same for either option.

Which option would you all choose? We have three kids ages 9, 6, and 5 who are not big on endurance for walking. We are planning on park hopping but not doing too much resort to resort travel. There will be one day that DD and I will be apart from the guys all day as we are doing a "mommy-daughter day" to celebrate DD's birthday.

Do the golf carts really make it a ton easier if you're in the cabins? We have never stayed at FW before and have heard varying things about the transportation there.

I posted this on the transportation board also but thought there would be more people with FW experience here. Any help would be greatly appreciated...THANKS!!!

I think having a golf cart is great! If you're not going resort to resort much, then you probably wouldn't use the car much anyway. You can't drive it around inside the campground. And the bus/boat system is great to the parks! The golf cart will save you one bus ride (internal) - you can drive it to the main bus stops and park it there for the day while you're at the parks! It's also great to have to get to the campfire program, the pools, and the trading posts!

I think different families would have different preferences. We just returned from 4 nights at a FW cabin, had a rental car, and sprung for a golf cart for 3 days. If I had to choose one, it would be the rental car.That eliminates the expenses of transportation to and from the airport. You can park your car right at your cabin, which means go out your door, into the car and right to the parks.We also like having a rental car for park hopping (although having the AAA parking pass does make this alot easier-you can get one by purchasing a WDW ticket from AAA-you have to be sure to ask for the pass). We also like to keep a cooler of drinks and snacks in the car for between and after the parks.Sometimes the buses are very crowded depending on when you leave the parks, especially after Fantasmic at MGM. I've also read that many people don't mind the buses at all, so again, I thnk you've got to decide which suits your needs best.

By the way, our location at Loop 2500 was right next to the pool, so we didn't have to catch a bus or have a golf cart to get to the pool, which was really nice, were able to pop over for a quick cool-off between park-hopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter