going at it alone

Alicnwondrln

DIS Veteran
Ok so I was thinking of squeezing in a trip alone. When is the best time to go and place to stay. My Dh and 2 DS 5 and 3 months will be with me when we go this xmas, but my DH said I should go down for a trip alone I could use some time. So any suggestions?

thanks

Well, my <I>favorite</I> time is perhaps too close to your family Christmas trip - October - because of <I>Epcot's Food & Wine Festival</I> (although I am not a drinker) and MNSSHP at MK, and because of the slightly cooler weather and reasonable crowds.

But being a local, I am there throughout the year. For me, even a hot, humid, packed-crowd, unpredictably sudden thunderstorm and downpour day at WDW is better than a non-Disney day somewhere else. :teeth:

So just visit whenever you are in the mood for it!

As for where to stay - That depends on your personal preferences and budget. Staying on property is always more convenient though, when finances allow.

Shari

Thanks
I was thinking September or Oct for 4 days. I was thinking a monorail resort just for ease. I starting to llok around now but have never gone alone and was alittle nervous wanted to get some ideas and suggestions. I have also heard great things lately about POR that has reopened and would be open to staying at a mod.
thanks again

You lucky woman! I have 4 kids ages 19,13,9, and 6 and have only been away from them 4 times.
aunt's funeral.
uncle's funeral.
visit my dying mother.
visit my dying mother - really died this time.

I would so love a trip "alone". Not even with girlfriends. Just alone.
My DH travels on business "alone" a few times annually and keeps telling me it's not all that it's cracked up to be but I sure would like to try it for myself! lol

Whatever time you choose will be just the right time.
Have a blast on behalf of all your fellow mom's that may never get to experience this opportunity!
Best wishes to you honey!
stacilee

I've had a few solo trips, staying on and off property. A few weeks ago I stayed at the Sheraton Safari - a great hotel, felt very safe and a short drive to the parks. But I definitely prefer onsite - have always felt safe whether it was a value (ASMu), moderate (CSR) or deluxe (Dolphin). But if you can get it, I highly recommend the Dolphin. The boat transportation was great to MGM and Epcot, although most mornings I walked to the Int'l Gateway at Epcot. Also you have the Boardwalk right there which is great for food and entertainment (Jellyrolls!!). There are also many types of discount rates (teacher, gov't, AP, AAA, etc.)

Good luck with your choice!! :teeth:

thanks everyone!
I need a couple of days. I was bedrest for 8 months with teh new baby and Shawn whose stays home with me. Chris said i need a few days to recharge. I dont wana go in the summer so I figured september. I just found flights for 175 downon jetble and southwerst had the same prices. I just dont know what hotel to stay in thats the big question I dont wanna go crazy so i was thinking a moderate. We laso have timeshare with II interval international but then id have to use a whole week and I dont wanna be gone that long. i know Chris would go crazy.

thanks for all the advice

Hi Kelly

I think POFQ would be ideal for you. It's the smallest of all the mods but was recently refubished. Also you have access to POR. :teeth:

I was looking at them online today. It looks nice. I sent out for some quotes from small world travel and dreams unlimited to see if they can get me a better deal than I can get myself. I dont believe there is any codes for September yet

I just got back last night from a 4 night solo trip. It was so wonderful! I stayed at POFQ in room 6128, ground floor, river view. Completely new bedspreads, chair coverings, curtains, the works. I am a DVC member, but I booked this trip on extremely short notice and could not get a DVC accomodation. I was thrilled with POFQ and highly recommend it!

I think you'll love a solo trip especially someplace like POFQ. It's easy and convenient to get to the parks, quiet place to rest and relax. There is a great boat to take you to DTD for some shopping or Cirque or just a show if you want to take it easy.

If there is a day where you sleep in a bit late, think about making it a waterpark day. It really is relaxing to just float down the lazy river raft ride and relax.

Have a great time and enjoy.

Ok well I have my quotes back and I just need to decide what to do
I looked into POFQ and got a quote for alittle over 500
animal lodge 665
wilderness lodge 667
Contemporary for 790

So what to you think?

My husband said stay deluxe since theres not that much difference. I heard bad stuff about the bus service for AKL so I wasnt sure I plan on spending most of my time at the magic kingdom and epcot so I thought the WL or Contempoorary would be best.
Also is the AAA discount worth getting AAA?
or should i wait for ap codes for September?
thanks

I did WL solo in March & loved it. As much as I love PO (R & FQ both) I think WL is now my favorite. If the price difference isn't that much I'd highly recommend it. I did have to ask to change my room though - the first one was too noisy & too secluded, so I felt nervous being by myself. However they changed me w/out any problems and I had a great room (I think 436?) that gave a view of the castle (slightly obscured by trees but still very pretty.) And it was very close to the elevators so I didn't have to walk down any long corridors alone. It was so relaxing to take the boat from WL to MK, or just to go to one of the monorail resorts for meals. I did the spa at GF too, which I'd also recommend. They do a great pedicure there, treat yourself!

If the price you were quoted is good, you can book it now and still check for rate changes. If you see a better deal you can cancel your first ressie, as long as it's within cancellation terms.

Thank You so much for your input. I called disney yesterday and was quoted a priceof 566 for a stay at teh WL with AAA. I went and signed up for AAA yesterday. The contemporary drops to 668 I think both great prices. How did you find the bus service at the WL and I would agree with you about walking around alone down long hall ways and would probably say that when I book. What else can you tell about WL?
Thanks again :D

I always stay at the WL and most of the time it is solo, I have never been afraid there and I actually walk the nature trail in the mornings after coffee. To me it is a cozy like resort, they have little nooks and crannys where you can get away and read with windows with great views. The pool is nice and looking out over the lake is very relaxing. You can take the boat to the Contempory or to MK or you can take the buses to the other parks and DD. The nature trail will take you down to the campground and the petting zoo, I have actually seen deer on the trails. The Roaring Forks snack bar has some pretty good food just in case you don't like eating alone you can get something and go back to your balcony. All in all I think the WL is a great choice...........can't wait til Oct and then again in Dec to spend a few more days there.:cat: :cat: :cat: :fish:

Hi Alicnwondrln.......

You are gonna have a great time....don't worry about anything. I have met some solo travelers that spent most of there trip worrying about things and then when they got back they realized how much fun it is.

To sit and have a meal is allot of fun.....the workers will treat you so nice.

I've enjoyed Disney solo trips so much that I just booked by 9th solo trip......Sept 14-22.....I just can't wait...

Many times you will meet other Solo travelers and swap your days stories with them over a nice cold drink.....

Enjoy your trip

Your husband wants to give your 4 days of peace and quiet in Disney World AND thinks you should stay in a deluxe resort? What a wonderful man. You are truly blessed.

Have a wonderful time. I would stay wherever had the best spa.:teeth:

I'm actually going to go for 3 days, 2 nights the end of August alone. I went in March with a male friend and had the worst time of my life! I decided then that going alone was so much better. I wish some of my girl friends could go with me but traveling with friends (& family) end up being the "test of one's mettle!" Go and enjoy your trip - it's so relaxing knowing you only have to do what YOU WANT! Ely

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter