GLuten free recipes

crz4mm2

<font color=teal>Most of the time I just sit and s
We went gluten free in nov.
Anyone have excellent tried and true gluten free recipes.
I know you can find all kinds on the web, but I want tried and true.
:worship:

What type of recipes? Sweets or baked goods or bread, etc?

King Arthur flour has great gluten free recipes.they have never led me wrong yet!!

Gluten free on a shoestring has some good and quick n easy ones.

A few hints, which you may already know, but were very helpful to me:
1) do NOT try to sub gluten free flour for regular flour. Sounds like you already know that since you are asking this question but it bears repeating.

2) Gf doughs behave differently. They will not look as solid and cohesive, but maybe more like spackling or batter, even when making bread. The pizza dough recipe we use (king Arthur flour) looks exactly like spackling, you have to spread it out with a spatula on the pan. But it bakes up great.

3) you will need xanthan gum. It's expensive, but you will only use like 1 t per recipe so it lasts forever. We keep ours in a Tupperware screw top container in the freezer.

4) for thickeners, you can usually just use cornstarch (check to see if its contaminated) instead of using your expensive gf flour. Alternately, you can use white rice flour if you don't like the taste of cornstarch.

5) if you buy a gluten free all purpose flour, check the ingredients. We have found a few things - one, if the mix contains fava bean flour, it will taste disgusting. Second, if the first ingredient is cornstarch, skip it. You want something with brown rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca in that order for a good all purpose mix. There may be some other ingredients but those are pretty reliable.

6) you can mix your own flour blend if you have a food scale. 32 oz brown rice flour, 10 oz potato starch (not potato flour) and 4 oz tapioca flour. This has worked quite well for us.

We use the KAF sandwich bread recipe, the pizza crust recipe, and all the muffin recipes regularly and they work really well.

Good luck and be willing to experiment and make some mistakes :) you can certainly pm me if you want some more info.

I have had good luck using Bloomfield Farms g-f flour mix and subbing it one for one. It is designed to be subbed one for one. Not all g-f flours are. There is also a brand at Wholefoods--Better Batter--which I haven't tried yet that is supposed to work well. Again designed to be used in regular recipes subbed cup for cup.

I have not tried pizza crust subbing one for one. I have not been happy with any of the g-f pizza crusts (frozen or mixes) that are out there and I have tried a ton.

My favorite g-f pasta--tinkyada. Be careful not to overcook it, but all in all it's pretty tasty.

I have been g-f for about 2 years. It is a big adjustment, but worth it. :goodvibes

Also be really careful about all the products out there that are also "produced in a factory that also processes wheat" but claim that they are gluten free. I have found that I can't tolerate several well known brands for this reason. I guess a little bit of gluten here and there just adds up.

I don't know how I missed your replies!

I bought all kinds of flours including all purpose, rice, almond, coconut... I did also buy xanthan gum.
I have only baked two things so far. An oatmeal cake (used my tried and true recipe, but substituted gf flour for reg 1-1) and corn bread. They were both "good" but did notice the oatmeal cake was very "solid" didn't raise much.

We did buy a frozen pizza crust that was "ok".
but I don't remember the kind it was.

Thanks for all the advise. It has been an adjustment, but we are doing ok.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? I've been GF for 10 years :). Celiac disease here. Disney is very GF friendly, its one of the reason I'm getting married by the mouse.

What kind of recipes are you looking for? I've been GF for 10 years :). Celiac disease here. Disney is very GF friendly, its one of the reason I'm getting married by the mouse.

Really looking for tried and true baked stuff.
Bread, crusts etc.

Thanks.
I have heard that Disney is very GF friendly!

Do you have pinterest? I have a small board of TNT recipes there. I really like the pamelas baking mix. I make the scones and muffins with them all the time modifying them as necessary. I also really like making dump cakes.

Do you have pinterest? I have a small board of TNT recipes there. I really like the pamelas baking mix. I make the scones and muffins with them all the time modifying them as necessary. I also really like making dump cakes.

I am on pinterest. Are you dewingedpixie on there?

I've made some yummy oatmeal cookies (and that's saying something. Not a huge oatmeal fan). Super easy and no complicated flour blends or xantham gum. Used gf oats from Trader Joes. I can't post a link yet but I have it pinned on my gluten free board on Pinterest. I'm rachel865 on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!