• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Glazing cabinets

DawnM

DIS Veteran
Our oak cabinets are still in good condition, but will either need some refinishing in spots OR some glazing. Glazing will update them a bit I think.

Anyway, how hard is this process?

A few friends suggested I either paint them an off-white and glaze them in brown (seems to be quite popular around here but not my first choice) or just put a black glaze directly over the wood.

Thoughts????

We are trying to get this done before choosing countertops.

Dawn

Here's a photo (I think) of the off-white with brown glaze that you mentioned.
wdc208_2ca_e.jpg

I think it looks nice, and I LOVE the granite that they chose for the countertop. But I think that a black stain over your existing oak would make it look less "rustic country" and more "rustic modern" (if that makes sense). And you could go with a darker countertop too.

I've never actually done the glazing myself. But from what I've read, it's a really easy, relatively inexpensive way to spruce up your kitchen. But I've read that it's messy. So just be prepared to cover your floors and appliances while you're glazing. :thumbsup2

My suggestion would be to check out DIY online (diynetwork.com). That's where I got the pic above! :) Or, just google "glazing kitchen cabinets". You should be able to find all of the instructions/tips/materials you need to get your project done. :thumbsup2 You could also check your local Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have any free workshops going on that demonstrate how to do it.

Hope that helps!! Be sure to show us pics of your project!! I LOVE to see others' DIY projects!!

Thanks. My guests will be here tomorrow so after they leave I am heading to home depot to get some trial sizes and start on the cabinets we may be throwing away as my trial runs! :thumbsup2

Dawn

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter