Getting to Disneyland from the Hong Kong airport

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I am planning on taking a taxi from the airport to the Hollywood Hotel. But I know here in Beijing you queue up for the taxis at the airport is it the same at the Hong Kong airport? I know that there are certain color taxis for the area that you want to go to, but is it easy to get a taxi? Of course I wait until the last minute to think of these things.

Never mind, I was able to answer my own question, the area for the taxis was well marked and there was a queue line.
Cost from the airport the Hollywood Hotel was about 132 HKD.

You can also take the Airport Express train from HKG (only $20HKD) to Hong Kong Station and change there to the Disneyland Express Line. Much cheaper than a cab, although you do have to haul your luggage a ways when getting to the Disneyland Express, which is boarded at the Tung Chung Line.

Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Ticket-in-MTR-Station.jpg

gettingthere002.jpg

You can also take the Airport Express train from HKG (only $20HKD) to Hong Kong Station and change there to the Disneyland Express Line. Much cheaper than a cab, although you do have to haul your luggage a ways when getting to the Disneyland Express, which is boarded at the Tung Chung Line.

Hong-Kong-Disneyland-Ticket-in-MTR-Station.jpg

gettingthere002.jpg

Is it best to get an octopus card for this? Is the train easy to find at the airport and is it possible to get a card there? How long does it take?

Thanks! :)

Is it best to get an octopus card for this? Is the train easy to find at the airport and is it possible to get a card there? How long does it take?

What time will you be arriving in Hong Kong? If you're arriving later at night, I would probably recommend the taxi rather than the train.

You can get an Octopus Card from the Airport; and I believe you're better off to go look for a manned kiosk and talk to a person rather than buying it from the machines. There might be special deals available for tourists that the person can tell you about e.g., I believe that they do offer a 3-day special Airport Express Octopus card for people staying shorter periods.

What time will you be arriving in Hong Kong? If you're arriving later at night, I would probably recommend the taxi rather than the train.

You can get an Octopus Card from the Airport; and I believe you're better off to go look for a manned kiosk and talk to a person rather than buying it from the machines. There might be special deals available for tourists that the person can tell you about e.g., I believe that they do offer a 3-day special Airport Express Octopus card for people staying shorter periods.

I'll be arriving afternoon - but I may take a taxi anyway for the convenience of it - we'll see what kind of mood I am in when I arrive - :)

The Airport Express train is very easy to find, the ticket counter and entrance to the trains are right in the middle of Arrival Hall A. You can get an Octopus card that includes either one way or roundtrip train fare.

To me, the issue of cab vs. train has less to do with time of day of arrival and more to do with the amount of luggage you will have. If you are travelling "heavy" then the additional investment in a cab may be worth it. But if you have a smaller amount of baggage, the MTR approach is a real deal and may even get you there faster than a cab.

I agree with dinolounger. I took the train on my last trip, and while it was easy, cheap and efficient, we had to change trains twice, then either walk or get the shuttle bus from the train station at HKDL. By the time I got there, I was a little tired of lugging my big suitcase around (mind you, I had just gotten off an overnight flight from Europe). I would advise to only attempt this if you are travelling light and don't have any small children/prams etc.

On the other hand, the train is an awesome way to get around for day trips if you're planning to do that, totally easy and convenient. We never bothered to get Octopus cards, but may have missed out on a deal there. We just bought tickets for each journey as we went and it was so easy to do it at the ticket machine.

My daughter and I used the train for our trips during the day. We got a tourist card at the Train station right at the entrance to the park. It was good for 24 hours from the time you first used it and it was great for us, we used it to go into Hong Kong the first day, the next day we went to Ngong Ping. The cost was $55HKD each.

I agree with dinolounger. I took the train on my last trip, and while it was easy, cheap and efficient, we had to change trains twice, then either walk or get the shuttle bus from the train station at HKDL. By the time I got there, I was a little tired of lugging my big suitcase around (mind you, I had just gotten off an overnight flight from Europe). I would advise to only attempt this if you are travelling light and don't have any small children/prams etc.

On the other hand, the train is an awesome way to get around for day trips if you're planning to do that, totally easy and convenient. We never bothered to get Octopus cards, but may have missed out on a deal there. We just bought tickets for each journey as we went and it was so easy to do it at the ticket machine.

Hmmm - yeah I am wondering if I will just want to get a taxi - guess it depends on how I feel but it is a short flight and I am traveling light. I may take future trips so I m thinking an Octopus card would be helpful.

My daughter and I used the train for our trips during the day. We got a tourist card at the Train station right at the entrance to the park. It was good for 24 hours from the time you first used it and it was great for us, we used it to go into Hong Kong the first day, the next day we went to Ngong Ping. The cost was $55HKD each.

Good to know - was it unlimited travel for those 24 hours?

Hi,

We just returned from Hong Kong and Disneyland this weekend... i would definitely say get a cab on arrival. They Airport Express Train will take you a decent distance out of the way before even the first stop that you can change to a Disney bound train. You would still need to change trains twice anyway. We always found the trains to Disney from Sunny Bay were quite busy and i think having luggage with you in the afternoon would be a hassle.

The Octopus card can be bought at Disney Station or any other MTR station whenever you do want to travel by train, and like Princess said, it's much easier to buy and top up there rather than a machine.

Hope you have a great trip!

Hi,

We just returned from Hong Kong and Disneyland this weekend... i would definitely say get a cab on arrival. They Airport Express Train will take you a decent distance out of the way before even the first stop that you can change to a Disney bound train. You would still need to change trains twice anyway. We always found the trains to Disney from Sunny Bay were quite busy and i think having luggage with you in the afternoon would be a hassle.

The Octopus card can be bought at Disney Station or any other MTR station whenever you do want to travel by train, and like Princess said, it's much easier to buy and top up there rather than a machine.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks so much! I think I am leaning towards taking a cab but a tiny part of me wants to ride on the "Disney" train - lol - I imagine by the time I get there a taxi will be very attractive.::yes::

I look forward to hearing about your trip if you do a report!
popcorn::

The Disney train is a great ride :goodvibes

You should do it return to Sunny Bay - you can literally just stay on it and come straight back if nothing else during your stay ;)

I think I am leaning towards taking a cab but a tiny part of me wants to ride on the "Disney" train - lol - I imagine by the time I get there a taxi will be very attractive.::yes::

If you are doing any day trip from HKDL (Ngong Ping perhaps?), you will have to go on the Disney train anyway :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter