"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying" - A Running Journal

LSUlakes

DIS Veteran
Hello and thank you for checking out this journal! I am starting this journal in hopes that it will help keep me motivated and accountable for all things as it relates to running. If you are wondering about the title it comes from the movie The Shawshank Redemption. I started to think to myself, when I am a old man, do I want to look back on my life and think of what could have been. Or to look back and say I gave it my all and I am very happy with what I have done.

To help determine how I am progressing I am listing some common race distances and my current PR's. My goal is according to McMillan Running website. The list below is in the following format: Distance - Current PR - Next race date (Goal) - Long Term Goal

5k 21:18 - 8/24/19 (22:30) - 18:59
10k 45:15 - N/A - 39:29
10 Mi 1:12:43 - N/A - 1:05:54
13.1 1:39:28 - N/A - 1:27:54
26.2 3:43:37 - 1/19/20 (3:40:00) - 3:04:59 (BQ)

No one said it was going to be easy, and I have a long road to travel. At the start of each month I will post my running plan and update a few times a week on how things are going and whatever random thoughts I will probably have to go with it. If you see me slacking, I give you permission to call me out on it.

Weight Tracking:From 4/23/19 to 5/22/19
(Start/Current/Goal)
(240/231.4/195)

Last edited:
Following along! Glad to see you start a training journal again. It was your first one that convinced me to start one as well. Excited to see you hit those goals.

Thanks! I come and read some here and there on peoples, but not nearly enough to make a difference. Time to get some reading in lol. Glad you decided to start one, I imagine you have inspired many folks on this forum and helped plenty as well. Keep up the good work!

Since today is the last day of the month, I will go ahead and post my monthly mileage plan for February:
1 - 7 Mi GA - 7 Mi GA
2 - Rest - Rest
3 - 11 Mi LR - 13.1 Mi LR
4 - 5 Mi - 5.15 Mi Stroller R
5 - Rest - Rest
(Week Total = 34.66 / 32) Includes two runs from January
6 - 6 Mi GA - 0
7 - 8 Mi E - 8 Mi E
8 - 4 Mi SW - 5 Mi E
9 - Rest - 4.36 Mi SW kinda
10 - 4 Mi GA - 3.2 Mi GA
11 - 13 Mi LR - 15 Mi LR
12 - Rest - Rest
(Week Total = 35.58 / 35)
13 - 7 Mi GA - 7 Mi GA
14 - Rest - Rest (URD)
15 - 7 Mi GA - 3 Mi
16 - 6 Mi SW - 0
17 - 4 Mi E - 0
18 - 14 Mi LR - 0
19 - Rest - Rest
(Week Total = 10 / 38)
20 - 7 Mi GA - 5 Mi GA
21 - 4 Mi E - 5 Mi E (Forgot to turn on watch)
22 - 7 Mi SW
23 - 5 Mi E
24 - 4 Mi GA
25 - 16 Mi LR
26 - Rest
(Week Total = 10 / 43)
27 - 7 Mi GA
28 - 6 Mi SW
(Month Total = 80.85 / 152)

I will come back from time to time to this post and put the actual miles completed to compare.

* Running plan revised 2/15/17

Last edited:

Following along...I am intrigued by the Fat Boy 5k.

Its a fun little race and delivers as advertised. Below is from their website,

"Often imitated, but never duplicated. The Fat Boy 5k is now in cities across America (Las Vegas, New Orleans and more!), but the original started right here in Baton Rouge, LA! With the Fat Boy growing (pun intended) the Original Fat Boy Running Club has real reason to celebrate! And THE Fat Boy knows how to celebrate! Join us early Saturday morning for some pre-race donuts and chocolate milk, and after the race for Manda Sausage Po-boys, Mockler beverages, Moon Pies, and Coca-Cola products. Chocolate Easter bunnies for the winners! Enter as a skinny runner, or man up to the Clydesdale division, or bring your friends and compete in the team competition. Clydesdale team divisions must collectively weigh in at 650 lbs.... or more.
Register early! There are only 1000 spots available! Awards given five deep in five year age groups. Awards for weight divisions: Athena, Clydesdale, Super Clydesdale, Ultra Clydesdale, and Clydesdale Teams. Finisher awards to first 150 male finishers and first 150 female finishers!"

I never actually eat much before or after this race because I end up running it hard and just dont have much of an appetite after running hard. Since my weight is on the high side I may be able to get involved in the Clydesdale division this year. Still need a 21 minute or better 5k to have a chance to podium with the 200+ group.

Your monthly plan is impressive! Excited to follow along! And I'm not sure about pre-race milk... that makes my stomach hurt thinking about it. The race I ran in Nov had cake and coke at the end, and surprisingly the chocolate cake and diet coke tasted amazing...

Since today is the last day of the month, I will go ahead and post my monthly mileage plan for February:
1 - 7 Mi
2 - Rest
3 - 11 Mi
4 - 5 Mi (Week Total = 32) Includes two runs from January
5 - Rest
6 - 6 Mi
7 - 8 Mi
8 - 4 Mi
9 - Rest
10 - 4 Mi
11 - 13 Mi
12 - Rest (Week Total = 35)
13 - 8 Mi
14 - 5 Mi
15 - 7 Mi
16 - Rest
17 - 5 Mi
18 - 14 Mi
19 - Rest (Week Total = 39)
20 - 5 Mi
21 - 9 Mi
22 - 5 Mi
23 - Rest
24 - 4 Mi
25 - 12 Mi
26 - Rest (Week Total = 35)
27 - 7 Mi
28 - 6 Mi (Month Total = 145)

At the end of the month I will come back to this post and put the actual miles completed to compare.

You Got This!
giphy.gif

I'm not sure if you should channel Hercules or Pegasus here...seems like Peg is doing most of the work.

If you don't mind I am going to steal this idea for my journal for February. Especially since this month will be the first one since October that I have a plan for the entire month before it starts!

You Got This!
giphy.gif

I'm not sure if you should channel Hercules or Pegasus here...seems like Peg is doing most of the work.

If you don't mind I am going to steal this idea for my journal for February. Especially since this month will be the first one since October that I have a plan for the entire month before it starts!

I have no problem with you using the idea, odds are there are more creative ways of putting the info on display, but I am only so creative. Glad you have a plan! I have to tell myself that sometimes life happens and not beat myself for a workout not going to plan, but at the same time not use that as a excuse to skip one. Its a fine line.

Thanks for posting!

"Often imitated, but never duplicated. The Fat Boy 5k is now in cities across America (Las Vegas, New Orleans and more!), but the original started right here in Baton Rouge, LA! With the Fat Boy growing (pun intended) the Original Fat Boy Running Club has real reason to celebrate! And THE Fat Boy knows how to celebrate! Join us early Saturday morning for some pre-race donuts and chocolate milk, and after the race for Manda Sausage Po-boys, Mockler beverages, Moon Pies, and Coca-Cola products. Chocolate Easter bunnies for the winners! Enter as a skinny runner, or man up to the Clydesdale division, or bring your friends and compete in the team competition. Clydesdale team divisions must collectively weigh in at 650 lbs.... or more.
Register early! There are only 1000 spots available! Awards given five deep in five year age groups. Awards for weight divisions: Athena, Clydesdale, Super Clydesdale, Ultra Clydesdale, and Clydesdale Teams. Finisher awards to first 150 male finishers and first 150 female finishers!"

Sounds like a great race, and really fun. I did a race last year where the were handing out chocolate milk pre-race and I couldn't fathom drinking it before the race. Just the thought of drinking chocolate milk and then trying to run sounds horrible. Good luck with your plan. You've totally got it.

Join us early Saturday morning for some pre-race donuts and chocolate milk, and after the race for Manda Sausage Po-boys, Mockler beverages, Moon Pies, and Coca-Cola products.

OH MY GOODNESS. I don't know what Mockler beverages are (off to Google I go) but I'm so down for the rest of that spread.

And you're going to do great in February!

Oh man I could get behind that Fat Boy race...nice! Very impressive having your entire month planned out too, nice to know what you have ahead of you.

Sounds like a great race, and really fun. I did a race last year where the were handing out chocolate milk pre-race and I couldn't fathom drinking it before the race. Just the thought of drinking chocolate milk and then trying to run sounds horrible. Good luck with your plan. You've totally got it.

Milk before a run would not work out very well at all. I can almost promise something will go wrong. Thanks!

OH MY GOODNESS. I don't know what Mockler beverages are (off to Google I go) but I'm so down for the rest of that spread.
Mockler beverages is a distributor of common beer/booze products in Louisiana. I think under our laws after sometime in the early 80's if you are going to distribute booze, you had to use a middle man. Louisiana politics at its finest! Amoung many things I dislike about this practice (which may be common) is it makes it difficult for a small local brewery to make it.

Oh man I could get behind that Fat Boy race...nice! Very impressive having your entire month planned out too, nice to know what you have ahead of you.

So, what you are saying everyone doesnt do this? I thought this was the norm?

Joining in with your journal. Great job on the plans so far and excited to follow along.

Thanks for following along!

Joining in as well. I may not comment often, but I'll certainly follow. Best of luck in your journey. I love quoting the book Born to Run and I'm a big fan of setting goals so here's one of my favorites:

"If I really wanted to understand the Raramuri, I should have been there when this nine-five-year-old man came hiking twenty-five miles over the mountain. Know why he could do it? Because no one ever told him he couldn’t. No one ever told him he oughta be off dying somewhere in an old age home. You live up to your own expectations."

You got this!

Todays workout 5 miles easy
1 - 8:38
2 - 8:34
3 - 8:38
4 - 8:42
5 - 8:38
Total 43:13 - 8:38 average

Scale this morning reveled a 3 lb loss, which is obviously water weight. Tonights run was on the TM, and I find it odd that pace changes on the watch despite the speed being the same the whole time. The average however is near the speed i set it on. So not that big of a deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!