*Get* a GAC!

i personally as a new comer have found the whole gac thing really difficult to understand (maybe i just bit thick) and this post has certainly made me think

when i went to disneyland paris i got a card which meant they could slow down the walk ways so i could get on the rides and i found it worked really well. (in fact when i walked through the doors at disney it was one of the member's of staff that told me about it)

this is our first trip to the usa and because i have ms, i am reluctanty going to us a scooter, reluctant becuse i dont like to admit i cant cope with things and like to pretent that perhaps i dotn have a disability. but i also know i have to be relaistic and if i want to enjoy my holiday with my kids then it is an evil necessity.

Now i also have balance issues (ok i walk like i am drunk at times) :cool1: honest i not in fact i walk better once i havea drink Go figure. I do use an elbow crutch but as i said before if they can slow down the walkways then i less likely to fall and squish some poor person.

so after i thought i wouldnt need a gac after i ready the help page, after reading this post maybe i will, i know others are maybe the same, we tend to maybe try not to think about the affects our condition has on you, maybe just being suborn, and also we dont always want to draw attention to ourselves, or ask for help, because i know i hate asking when it come to my health ect. But why does it make me feel so guilty even the thought of asking, maybe as i know others are far worse off than me. anyways just my thoughts.

My son is autistic and he has problems with lines. They can be a real "treat" I understand that he can get a GAC but what would that mean for us. He self talks and after a short time he has a problem standing still and "sharing" with people. When we went before people would look and stare and grumble. One man even told me to take my son and "make him behave" or go to the rear of the line. I told him that ds is autistic and if he wanted to give it to his son instead I would love to stand at the rear. (And I thought Winnie the Pooh was supposed to be a happy place.)

Any suggestions would be nice.

I didn't use a GAC last time I was at the parks and I've been doing a lot of reading about them for this next trip.

We have several issues in the family and I think that it could be a big help. At this point, I'll just ask about me and my dealing with my cancer.

I guess my question would be, how do you know what Disney can offer? What can they do?

I mean, do I just go in with a laundry list of my issues and side effects for my medications and see what they can do from there?

I didn't know that they could slow down the moving walkways. That is something that could have helped so much! I will make sure to mention that it will be helpful because of mobility and balance issues.

I am not really looking for a list of what is offered, I guess I just don't know what to ask for.

Is this making any sense?

Hopefully it is..

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

- Loss

:littleangel:

Everyone says to get GAC at Guest Services. Does that mean in a park or can you get one at the hotels? Thanks

Sue

I understand about getting a CM to slow down a moving walkway when you are getting on a ride. What do you do when it is time to get off?

Thanks
Sue

Everyone says to get GAC at Guest Services. Does that mean in a park or can you get one at the hotels? Thanks

Sue

They mean the Guest Services in the parks. You will only need to stop at one and the GAC will be good for the whole trip.

ShatteredbyLoss said:
I mean, do I just go in with a laundry list of my issues and side effects for my medications and see what they can do from there?
No. Neither will mean anything to anyone. Tell the CM what you need in relation to the attractions. You don't have to get a GAC the instant you enter a park; you can tour for a while, or a day, and see what your needs are.

If your needs are [primarily] mobility or stamina related, Walt Disney World's recommendation is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Do you, currently, foresee any need other than getting the moving walkways slowed? If you don't, then really it makes sense to wait until you try some attractions before getting a GAC unless you do choose to use a wheelchair or ECV; then you'd probably only need one if you have other needs. Slowing a moving walkway can be verbally requested if not automatically offered EXCEPT it CAN'T be done at Peter Pan or Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

sueernieb said:
I understand about getting a CM to slow down a moving walkway when you are getting on a ride. What do you do when it is time to get off?
The Cast Members "know" in which ride vehicle they placed a Guest who needed the attraction slowed/stopped. They then slow or stop the attraction when that same car or whatever gets to the exit area.

Okay, the ride vehicles are numbered.

Thanks
Sue
If you have a mobility device, you do not need a GAC to get the walkway slowed for you. Without a mobility device, you do need a GAC to go to the accessible area where the walkway can be slowed.
When you get to that spot, having a GAC or not having a GAC doesn't make a difference. It's up to the guest to let the CM know what you need. I have seen guests who have no use of their legs able to scoot into a ride car very quickly and just need to park their wheelchair next to the ride car on the moving walkway and have the CM move it our of the way.
I have also seen people who use walkers or crutches who need a full stop of the walkway. The CM doesn't know which you need unless you tell them.
No. Neither will mean anything to anyone. Tell the CM what you need in relation to the attractions. You don't have to get a GAC the instant you enter a park; you can tour for a while, or a day, and see what your needs are.

If your needs are [primarily] mobility or stamina related, Walt Disney World's recommendation is to rent a wheelchair or ECV. Do you, currently, foresee any need other than getting the moving walkways slowed? If you don't, then really it makes sense to wait until you try some attractions before getting a GAC unless you do choose to use a wheelchair or ECV; then you'd probably only need one if you have other needs. Slowing a moving walkway can be verbally requested if not automatically offered EXCEPT it CAN'T be done at Peter Pan or Tomorrowland Transit Authority.
::yes::
The Cast Members "know" in which ride vehicle they placed a Guest who needed the attraction slowed/stopped. They then slow or stop the attraction when that same car or whatever gets to the exit area.

Okay, the ride vehicles are numbered.
::yes::
The vehicles are numbered, in many attractions they only will stop the moving walkway for a specific numbered ride car when you board - that makes it easier to remember which one has someone with special needs in it.
Some ride cars also have other features, like a reflective dot that picks up light. You can see that on a picture I have of the Haunted Mansion transfer doombuggy (it is not wheelchair accessible, but the side of the car is cut down for extra space transferring in).

Just as a clarification to those of you who have never gotten a GAC-

As PPs have said, they base them off needs, not diagnosis.

In other words, don't bother with the Dr's note saying "This person has cancer" or "This child has autism", they do not help. You'll need to tell the CM issuing the GAC that you cannot walk up and down stairs therefore you NEED access the entrance that avoids them. You may NEED an area that is out of the sun (which most are). You may NEED a ride vehicle to come to a full stop to board.

Not everyone in a wheelchair, or every autistic person, or everyone with a service dog has the same NEEDS, and this is what you need to be able to explain to the CM.

Hopefully this will help some of you who are new to GAC understand it, so there's less stress when getting one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter