Geesh,Enterprise Car Rental puts a $300 hold on my $60 car rental!!

Ok... perhaps I'm clueless here (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) but how would you even know if there's a hold on CC funds anyhow? I'll assume a hold involves no actual posted charges, so how can you possibly tell?

I wouldn't have any idea if there were a hold placed on funds from my CC... how does a person tell?

A person who is at or near their credit limit would find out when a later charge got declined. They would also find out if their credit card company charged a fee for going over their credit limit. Years ago credit card companies might just temporarily increase a customers credit limit. Now they look for an excuse to charge extra fees.

Hotels will also sometimes put a hold. Take a $300 hold for a car rental, add another $500 for the hotel and $100 for a gas purchase and a customer that's somewhat close to their limit could have a problem not because of purchases made but of "holds".

Around here there are gas stations that have signs up saying they dont put holds, but some financial institutions do.. I dont know if that's a possibility or not, maybe something like that happening?

Ok... perhaps I'm clueless here (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) but how would you even know if there's a hold on CC funds anyhow? I'll assume a hold involves no actual posted charges, so how can you possibly tell?

I wouldn't have any idea if there were a hold placed on funds from my CC... how does a person tell?
I have my CC through my bank, and do online banking. When I log in, it tells me my available credit line, and what my balance is. That's how I knew.

The OP, and others, have a problem with the practice of putting a "hold" on the customers credit card.

Your situation is completely different. You were told there wouldn't be a hold and Enterprise didn't want to release the hold after you returned the car.

I remember getting a rental as a free loaner and didn't even have to supply a credit card. Of course the dealer had my new car which was worth more then any depoist or credit hold.

Some of the dealers by me offer a coupon that offers a free loaner/rental. Of course you can only use one coupon and the same promotion usually also has a coupon that's worth at least $50 on the service.

It's the amount of the 'hold' that I think is outrageous.Hertz puts a hold on your credit card for the rental amount plus $100.Now that sounds reasonable.
I wouldn't mind that and by the time I found this out it was too late to switch.
Thanks for all the input.I still think $300 is an outrageous amount reguardless.
I guess I got spoiled by Alamo.
Debbie

It's the amount of the 'hold' that I think is outrageous.Hertz puts a hold on your credit card for the rental amount plus $100.Now that sounds reasonable.
I wouldn't mind that and by the time I found this out it was too late to switch.
Thanks for all the input.I still think $300 is an outrageous amount reguardless.
Debbie

You can probably blame some customers that rented before you. Assume you drop off the car after the office closes. More then 2 hours and you owe a full day. Now assume the gas tank is empty. Maybe a crack in the windshield. $300 might not even be enough. Hertz market is business customers and the $100 hold may just be a token hold.

I thought most rental car companies do that. Read the fine print and they will tell you. I rented from Thrifty last week and their policy was a hold of $350 or 15% whichever was the greater amount. Checked Hertz and they wanted 25%. I always add that hold into the total amount of my rental so there is enough room on my low limit credit card.

Yes I went yesterday afternoon to pick my rental up at the Enterprise in our area.He upgraded me from economy to Intermediate.No charge.I got a red brand new 2007 Chevy Cobalt with 1,100 miles on it.So just for my piece of mind I also purchased the Insurance that covers the vehicle up to total loss.
That was an extra $11.49 day but well worth it in my mind in case something happens.
Hey you never know.And yes they did put the $300 hold on my cc.
Debbie

Personally I don't think the level of hold is fair, or commensurate with the risk in the average case. I almost always have my travel booked via some site like tr@vel0c1ty, etc, so the entire rental is already paid for. Yet a 200-300 dollar hold is always placed on my credit card, even after customer service stating explicitly that no hold would be placed in several cases. So are they just trying to cover the potential loss of rental revenue there? Even more interesting, I have had rentals booked on corporate travel cards, and still had to pony up my own cc, which a large hold was placed on. So in both cases they are abusing the consumer by having two forms of security, and who cares if the business traveller or vacationer gets the shaft since 50%+ of their balance is now on hold(again, remember hotels, etc. also want to do this, even when the room is pre-paid). Many consumers are unaware of these holds, since credit was given much more freely in the past, however, some consumers feel that pinch desperately and the rest should be aware, and asking why.

This is an industry wide practice, and consumers with 'low' credit balances are shamed by others into not speaking out. I have a low credit card balance, but this is only relative to the insane amount of uncharged holds placed by various companies. If I burn the car and leave it in a ditch a) I will be arrested since they have taken my identification, and potentially know what plane I left on, and b) there is an insurance industry to offer coverage for business losses, which is also posting profits despite all the masses of people burning cars and leaving them in a ditch, you've heard about them all on the news, right?

No, you haven't, because it just doesn't happen that often. Remember, you are looking at a picture of large scale with these companies, so a company may have this happen 200 times per year, which a whopping lot of money;however, how many total cars are in the fleet and profitable, what percentage of total losses are there, and how much is covered by their insurance, and accepted as a normal risk level for their policy? You will never begin to get answers to these types of questions, only expressions of a portion of the picture that serves someone's current purposes.

Do not be fooled, these are large corporations with no concern for consumers, beyond keeping them buying. They will charge whatever they can get away with(look at the definition of a corporation, it is an entity to make money, not get into heaven or do good deeds!). They are pushing their cost of doing business back onto the consumer in an ever spiraling attempt to increase the bottom line(each generation of upper management has to make their mark right?). They will continue to do this until there is push back to the bottom line through lost revenue, that's just the nature of the beast.

Until consumers find an alternative, or our country in general gets reasonable and safe mass transit(I am not holding my breath there at all), they will continue to increase those margins on the backs of the consumer, and hide behind 'policy', smoke, and mirrors.

The real question is what is the opportunity cost of the hold for the consumer, and that is inversely proportional to their available balance.

Personally, I have had to opt for taxis on several trips due to the excessive holds. To be honest, I really don't mind it that way, no 30 minute drive after an 8 hour flight, just off in a cab and you're at the hotel.

I still think $300 is an outrageous amount reguardless.

Jeez, if you think $300 is outrageous you don't even want to know the credit authorization Sixt required on my rental in Munich. Think double your hold, then add a zero :eek:

Debbie

$300 compared to a $20k+ car isn't anything. Its a "deposit". Each location is different as well.

And if you have full coverage insurance (which you should have anyway to rent) then you shouldn't need any supplemental insurance- its a ripoff.

Gas Stations around here when you pay at the pump put a 1.00 hold then the next day the full amount comes out. Now if they were to hold 100.00 dollars of my money for 20.00 worth of gas I would be very angry..You can get overdrawn unless you keep all your money in one account. I do not extra goes into my savings account.

Personally I don't think the level of hold is fair, or commensurate with the risk in the average case. I almost always have my travel booked via some site like tr@vel0c1ty, etc, so the entire rental is already paid for. Yet a 200-300 dollar hold is always placed on my credit card, even after customer service stating explicitly that no hold would be placed in several cases. So are they just trying to cover the potential loss of rental revenue there? Even more interesting, I have had rentals booked on corporate travel cards, and still had to pony up my own cc, which a large hold was placed on. So in both cases they are abusing the consumer by having two forms of security, and who cares if the business traveller or vacationer gets the shaft since 50%+ of their balance is now on hold(again, remember hotels, etc. also want to do this, even when the room is pre-paid). Many consumers are unaware of these holds, since credit was given much more freely in the past, however, some consumers feel that pinch desperately and the rest should be aware, and asking why.

This is an industry wide practice, and consumers with 'low' credit balances are shamed by others into not speaking out. I have a low credit card balance, but this is only relative to the insane amount of uncharged holds placed by various companies. If I burn the car and leave it in a ditch a) I will be arrested since they have taken my identification, and potentially know what plane I left on, and b) there is an insurance industry to offer coverage for business losses, which is also posting profits despite all the masses of people burning cars and leaving them in a ditch, you've heard about them all on the news, right?

No, you haven't, because it just doesn't happen that often. Remember, you are looking at a picture of large scale with these companies, so a company may have this happen 200 times per year, which a whopping lot of money;however, how many total cars are in the fleet and profitable, what percentage of total losses are there, and how much is covered by their insurance, and accepted as a normal risk level for their policy? You will never begin to get answers to these types of questions, only expressions of a portion of the picture that serves someone's current purposes.

Do not be fooled, these are large corporations with no concern for consumers, beyond keeping them buying. They will charge whatever they can get away with(look at the definition of a corporation, it is an entity to make money, not get into heaven or do good deeds!). They are pushing their cost of doing business back onto the consumer in an ever spiraling attempt to increase the bottom line(each generation of upper management has to make their mark right?). They will continue to do this until there is push back to the bottom line through lost revenue, that's just the nature of the beast.

Until consumers find an alternative, or our country in general gets reasonable and safe mass transit(I am not holding my breath there at all), they will continue to increase those margins on the backs of the consumer, and hide behind 'policy', smoke, and mirrors.

The real question is what is the opportunity cost of the hold for the consumer, and that is inversely proportional to their available balance.

Personally, I have had to opt for taxis on several trips due to the excessive holds. To be honest, I really don't mind it that way, no 30 minute drive after an 8 hour flight, just off in a cab and you're at the hotel.

So how hard did you search for this thread from the dead to make your "political" statement. Since your post seems to think that "large corporations" are bad, I guess the goverment should just give you a car to drive whenever you go someplace? And if you burn the car then you get to receive a "benefit" from the goverment. Free food and lodging. (From what I hear it's a little subpar but.....)

And just to TERRORIZE you. At most hotels when you check in they put a "hold" on the card for the expected amount of the stay.
:confused3

:happytv:

Now it's time to play "Feed the troll":happytv:

Carol, I'm just impressed that
1) you read that entire post
2) you noticed that this thread is from June 2007 ie 16 months old!

;)

Yes, credit card holds are fair. Unless you just want the companies to charge everyone more, to make up the fact that some people are careless whith what they rent. With the number of cars I see on a daily basis that have dents and scratches, the companies would be crazy not to put a hold on your credit card! People are careless, especially if they don't own what they have in their hands!

We do have the choice to not rent a car, or to use a company that has a different policy if we want to. I have yet to be forced to rent a car from a specific company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter