GCH trip from a WDW Vet the good and the bad

Sabor

Mouseketeer
Let me preface by saying thanks to all for helping me plan this trip got back yesterday after 6 nights (4 at the GC and 2 at the Portofino). We had a great trips with alot of ups and downs.

This was my first family trip to DL although I used to live in LA and have been many times my wife only once and kids never , we are DVC members since 98 and have been there over a dozen times in the last 8 years.

Cast Me DW , DD 10 , DD 7 and DS 4

We were a little dissapointed in the GC for the following, resort is beautiful but no key to world card , need room key to access Ice machine? Need room key to access pool but have to leave Pool to go to restroom - with kids a pain. Pool bar not open DW likes a Pina Coloda or 2 while relaxing. Whitewater Snacks terrible selection , first day waited on line (only 3 in front of us) for almost 10 minutes then was told would be about 20 minutes - we left and ate in CA.

Biggest complaint we planned Wednesday as a no park relax/pool day. We got to the Pool at about Noon - Slides were closed as the entire staff were unpacking new pool chairs. As you all know this time of year your window to swim is like from 11 - 4 comfortably as it gets cold early and late. At about 1:30 my DW got tired of watching the lifeguards ( 8 we counted) tieing cushions to chairs and made a complaint. Slides were opened within about 20 minutes and we got that nights dinner at Goofy's Kitchen Comped :cool1:

We did the Grand Quest and were named "Grand Family of the Day" which was pretty cool , they gave us access to the Concierge Club that night would have been better on a Fireworks night but my kids loved it.

Will post another thread for the good bad and ugly of the theme parks

Wow-- surprising to hear about how much GC can disappoint!

What is the "Grand Quest," though?

Was Whitewater Snacks always that slow from what you noticed at other times?

How was the room?

How late are the pool and also the hot tubs open?

Thx. again. :)

Room was Great - Had Bunk Beds

The Grand Quest is posted on the Daily Activites from 4pm to 5pm for Kids 3 - 10. They send you around the Resort , first CM gives you a secret handshake who you do to the next CM who gives you a Code Word and so on. It was nothing super complicated about 5 or 6 stops , They do not tell you this at the start but all who complete it get a Free Mickey Cookie from Whitewater and the first Family each day to complete is named the "Grand Family of the Day" - they had a presentation by the Piano Player , Huge bouqet of Balloons for each of my Kids, took a Polaroid picture, A Certificate and the conceirge thing.

Pool and Hot Tubs were open until 10PM

We stilled enjoyed the GC just felt that operationally WDW resorts were run better

As far as Whitewater it did not seem busy but it was around Noon on Sunday we went straight there after check in , we did get some good Nachos there on our Pool day - did not know how long it was because we had them deliver to Pool area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter