Galveston, after Irma

DanInMN

Mouseketeer
In mid-October we are flying into Houston Bush airport, then cruising with RCCL. Does anyone know the status of the Galveston port? Are things running semi-normal yet?

Also, we plan to Uber from the airport to the port... does anyone have experiences to report on this? Recommended alternatives?

Be aware that getting to Galveston from IAH is ~70 miles. You'll probably find a car service is your best bet.

The port is open. I would think the only issues there might be some local roads between Houston and Galveston that might still not be passable, but major roads should be in good shape.

BTW, it was Harvey, not Irma, that closed Galveston for a bit.

Oops - Harvey!

UberX costs ~$84 each way. Would a shuttle service cost less for 3 people?

Be aware that getting to Galveston from IAH is ~70 miles. You'll probably find a car service is your best bet.

Yeah car service or shuttle with all that luggage. Our hotel shuttle was reasonable. It was cheaper than what we last paid in Orlando. It was through La Quinta airport hotel, something like "cruise and stay" package, maybe can call and ask what it is now.

Last edited:
My wife and I had paid for the Royal Caribbean Bus transfer from the airport to the Port. We then overslept our flight out of town :scared: and didn't arrive in Galveston until after the last RC Bus left. We took a regular Cab at a cost of ~$95 +tip and barely made it. After all that, Royal Caribbean onboard actually reimbursed us the cost of the cab since we had pre-paid for the bus, even though it wasn't their fault.

All of those options will get you there, but if RC offers a shuttle and it is reasonably priced, I recommend it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!