Fuel economy and power

BRDof3

Humpty Dumpty had a lousy PPO
I'm sure I have seen this discussed before, but I can't find it. My brother and MIL are big proponents of using standard unleaded rather than 10% ethanol. He drives an Expidition and Dodge Ram 1/2 ton, she drives a V8 sedan. Both swear that using E10 cuts their mileage significantly.

We're driving an 08 Toyota Sequoia, 4.7 V8 with a 5-speed auto tranny. The E10 is usually a dime-a-gallon cheaper so that makes it about $2.60 cheaper per tankful. We were getting 14.5-14.8 mpg city with E10. We've now run 8-9tanks of straight gas, and I would like to compare the economy to E10.

The problem is, we also bought a trailer, and it's been towed during each of the last 3 tanks. That screws up our mileage checks, since we would be comparing it to no-trailer. I filled up this morning, but we're out with the trailer again this weekend.

So, short of waiting until I know there is no trailer involved, I don't have a way to compare the mileage between the two types of gas. Has anyone done any research, or clocked it themselves, to tell me what the mpg difference is? No sense paying a dime a gallon more than we need, but I don't want to short myself on gas mileage either. :confused3

I, too, have noticed a significant drop in gas mileage when the ethenol is added.

I was listening to a show the other day with an energy expert from VA (one that actually has working strategies) and the discussion turned to ethanol, he discussed, and I had been told that it has almost half of the energy (BTU's) that gasoline and would yield about 25% less mileage.

That link is supposed to be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel. There were double HTTPs there. Bottomline is with a standard gas engine, you get 34% less power with ethanol. I think the better option for a transitional fuel is CNG. There is a manufacturer who is making a $1000 compressor for use at home to provide your own CNG filling station. Regular gas stations can add CNG for as little as $20,000 and the distribution network is in place today. Ethanol needs new tanks, new trucks, new pipelines... not to mention new engines to take full advantage. Not to mention that if we got to the point of using pure ethanol, kids would be buying it for consumption!

Yeah, that is why they don't sell straight Ethanol. there will always be a little gasoline in it. That way you can't drink it.

That link is supposed to be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel. There were double HTTPs there. Bottomline is with a standard gas engine, you get 34% less power with ethanol. I think the better option for a transitional fuel is CNG. There is a manufacturer who is making a $1000 compressor for use at home to provide your own CNG filling station. Regular gas stations can add CNG for as little as $20,000 and the distribution network is in place today. Ethanol needs new tanks, new trucks, new pipelines... not to mention new engines to take full advantage. Not to mention that if we got to the point of using pure ethanol, kids would be buying it for consumption!

Thanks for posting the correct link Shannon :thumbsup2

In answer to Robs question though, the difference between straight gasoline
and 10% ethanol is actually a reduction of around 3%, according to that
reference. CNG and LPG both have a much greater loss with a standard
engine.

I knew I could count on this group. I wouldn't have known whether the information was accurate, even if I knew where to look.

Overall it looks like it's a wash. One is cheaper, the other delivers more power and slightly better mpg. For the moment I think I will vote for staying with the straight gas in the biggger SUV, esp during towing season. That little bit of power advantage will make even more difference when towing.

We don't drive a lot of miles on the new truck. I don't think that the $2.60/tank cost difference will be much in the long run.

Thanks a lot Shan and Denny. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter