"Friendly pirates" created my worst night on vmk yet.

Disney Dreams

Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
I just want to share what began an awful night for me on vmk so that people can understand that "friendly pirates" can be a complete nightmare.

I signed on to vmk tonight with the sole mission of making credits. Since I get bumped from fireworks right now in round 2, pirates is my game. Upon arriving on the dock, I found some good friends. I was asked to help a "guest" in some "friendly pirates."

I commented that I really needed to earn credits tonight and could not afford to play "friendly pirates." I was asked again to just play for a bit to help the guest. I clicked on said guest to see that her signature very clearly stated that this was her "other character" and other information to let those who knew her identify her. In other words, she was not new to vmk.

I commented on this and was told by my friend that other friends had been helping this guest earlier and my friend had "taken over" when everyone left. Would I just play 1 "friendly" game. I agreed.

We played. Our team got 1st point with Guest's team holding the flag at the time we scored our point. Next round: Guest gets her team's flag and flies across the home zone before our team got the flag. Not by accidentally timing - by clearly not even waiting. I honestly cannot tell you what happened on the 3rd round as I did not even watch it take place.

Upon returning to the dock I got 10 credits. What that really means is that I lost 11 credits for playing a game of "friendly pirates" to help a Guest who is NOT new to vmk.

Guest then asked us to continue playing with her when we started up a round 3 game, which she could not play on her new character. I explained that I lost credits on that last game and that I could not continue to play that way tonight. I do not have the credits needed to get what I want this week for Halloween and I needed to earn large amounts of credits. Guest continued to ask.

I explained that I am very happy to help new people. That I have done a lot to help others in my time on vmk, but that I could not continue to play pirates in that way this evening.

I was made to feel that I had 2 choices: 1. Play friendly pirates with Guest (and potentially continue to lose credits) or 2. Be the "mean" person who would not play "friendly pirates."

We told Guest we were going. Guest asked, "Where?" We explained that we were going to play Level 3 pirates. Pressure was again put on me to continue playing level 1 friendly with Guest (who again, is NOT new to vmk).

The entire scenerio caused tension among friends tonight, left me feeling like somehow I am not a nice vmker if I dont play a fake pirate game all night to help a person who is trying to advance a mule, and, for me anyway, created my worse vmk evening yet.

Because so many here play "friendly pirates," and seem to not understand when some of us opt out, I felt the need to share this evening's events.

I have given and helped and dropped everything to assist others in the game for hours and hours. Tonight, turned into an awful evening from what started as helping an "experienced guest" and a game of "friendly" (cough) pirates.

I'm sure many of you will find fault in my not just playing along. So, let the bashing begin.....

Aww. Don't feel bad, if you were on to get credits don't feel pressured into losing credits to someone who obviously did not know how to play "friendly pirates" so that it would be at least somewhat fair for everyone. I have had to do the same thing before also since pirates is the only way I have had the chance to really earn credits also due to booting in fireworks or ghosts. You did what you had to and from what I know of you if you had the time or credits you would have been happy to help others :goodvibes

Hi DD I don't blame you for not playing. Don't worry about it. If you don't want to play no one should make you feel bad for your choice. I understand that we all help each other out but there are times you just want to play the game the way you want to. I think we have all been there. Don't let it ruin your fun on VMK.

Redsfan

I'm sorry you felt pressured into playing pirates with a mule. I would not have done so. I have helped many people advance to level 3 and have had friends help me advance as well (thank you Disvaclub!). However, if I am playing for credits, I will not be anyone's sitting duck, and all the begging in the world won't change my mind. Simply leave that instance of the lobby and jump into another game. :) Never feel obligated to play and let someone else win. That's not the concept behind "friendly pirates".

Hey DD,
First of all huggles to you :goodvibes !
Second, I totally understand the need to get credits! I agree with Red and Melp, don't let it get to you. We all need credits right now and I think all our friends can understand why you wanted to just play the games for credits :)
:goodvibes
Lady

I have to agree with the other posters here - you should not feel bad at all about not wanting to play this way. I am so sorry that you left VMK tonight feeling bad. It was very rude, selfish, and inconsiderate of the others to try to pressure you into playing. I have never expected anyone to help me advance my mules while sacrificing credit for themselves. I play with a particular group of friends and we play "DIS Rules" or "Friendly Pirates" all the time to earn coin, but we always alternate winning games so that everybody makes good coin. I guess the best thing to do in a case like this is hit the ignore button if the other person is not your friend or go to another room and send your friend a message stating that you can't help them out right now. Then find a different lobby and get those credits. I hope tomorrow brings a better day for you!

Goofy05 said:
However, if I am playing for credits, I will not be anyone's sitting duck, and all the begging in the world won't change my mind. Simply leave that instance of the lobby and jump into another game. :) Never feel obligated to play and let someone else win. That's not the concept behind "friendly pirates".
I just can't agree more with this! What is really a shame here is that if you play "friendly" right everyone ends up with lots of credits! And in a much shorter period of time than playing regular games. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.
On a more positive note I had a group of people invite me to play friendly last night and they were not even Dis. I only knew one in the group and the others all welcomed me while we played friendly flag. I earned a nice little bunch of credits and made some new friends too.

In your situation, it was clear it was not friendly pirates (or their definition of friendly pirates did not follow the Dis Rules of friendly pirates). After the first game if I did not earn my pay plus more, I would have said I am done. I am not here to help your cause to get through to your levels and lose credits in the process. I will help be a duck for a quest - but only that. I will play friendly pirates (Dis Rules) as long as I get a chance to reap the rewards of credits too. If the game does not get played that way, I am out of there too. Besides, the point of the the game is not to let a person sail through all levels, the point is to build your skills to become an awesome pirate. :thumbsup2

I agree with everyone and most with Disvaclub92. This was clearly not a game of "friendly"pirates, it was a game of ME ME ME......

I am sorry this player tired to take advantage of you and your friends and made your night in vmk miserable.

Hope today(tonight)will prove more fun.

Mal

I am sorry for your frustration I too would have left just gone to another room. No explaination. This was not a game of friendly pirates. It was a game of selfishness on the mule guest side. Friendly means everyone gets credits at least a minimum of 64 or played right 121. To end up with -11 credits is not fair and the other players were being selfish.

But that seems to be the key word on VMK now MEand only me :(

Even least night while playing pirates I asked another player if she would mind moving because 4 on 4 made my computer too slow. Even another player on my side said the same thing. And we had waited 5 minutes with no one else joining. I was told I was mean. I asked nicely and explained why. I think just booting people is mean. Which I hate after sitting there for a long time just to get booted and lose credits too. She said no she wanted to stay and that was that. We won the game but was not enjoyable with the great lag.

If I had been asked I would have left.

You were right to not want to play like that. And as for you being considered a "mean" player, I can't imagine that! I'll never forget how kind you were to me as a new player...you are a very sweet and considerate person. Hope your next vmk day is much more pleasant! :grouphug:

That doesn't fit my definition of "friendly pirates", either.

The worst is when the players won't even let the "losing" flag holder keep
the flag, but shoot them down. If I was in a "friendly" game and I couldn't
get more than my 21 credits back, I would refuse to keep playing, too.

We always take turns winning AND losing. We play Battle in teams and switch off who wins. It seems to work well for us, as sometimes Capture the Flag acts buggy.

I wouldn't feel badly at all about not wanting to play. The other person sounds selfish.

You don't need to keep explaining yourself. "No, I don't want to, I need to make credits" is all you need to say, and then leave that lobby.

If you feel that you can't do that, then next time, just click the Exit button. That makes it look like you DC'd. Then log back in and go to another Pirate Lobby and play as usual. If the people ask you what happened, just say you DC'd.

so, in case I run into this (I've only played pirates once), where can I find the DIS rules on a friendly pirate game? I'd play more except that I need the measly few credits that I do have, and can't afford to lose too much learning the game (I do expect to lose credits when learning a new game, that's part of the whole system, but I'll have to do that after H'ween).

I do not blame you a bit, it is your game time and it is your choice to spend it as you like, it was nice of you to play one friendly game but the guest was out of line to continue to pester...if you are playing friendly Pirates arent you supposed to alternate so that the next time your team would win and you would get the credits?? I have never played friendly Pirates but at least that way you would not be losing credits

MulanFan said:
so, in case I run into this (I've only played pirates once), where can I find the DIS rules on a friendly pirate game? I'd play more except that I need the measly few credits that I do have, and can't afford to lose too much learning the game (I do expect to lose credits when learning a new game, that's part of the whole system, but I'll have to do that after H'ween).

Here's the thread with the DIS Pirate Rules.

DIS Pirate Rules

Coasterguy said:
Here's the thread with the DIS Pirate Rules.

DIS Pirate Rules

thanks a whole bunch!! I'll make sure I understand it (and hope to play soon - I'll see where I am credit-wise after next week's specials - I want 2 of the costumes so I may have to trade out my HSM room code to make it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter