Fr. Damien Molokai Tour

BWV Dreamin

DIS Veteran
Has anyone taken this tour? It’s a little pricey but we are willing to pay it. Can we Uber from Aulani to HNL airport? This is the pick up place for the prop plane to fly you over to Molokai. Any comments appreciated.

So, my son went to moloka'i with school last month and it's absolutely been the highlight of his time living in hawaii. He actually stayed in Kalaupapa for the weekend and his group id volunteer work with the NPS, but also got the full tour of all the important sites. He's talked so much that my husband and I want to do one of the tours. So I would say totally do it.

Uber would be pretty expensive, but if that's your only option, then that's what you'd have to do. I believe the tours use Makani kai air which isn't located directly on the main airport terminal. it's located down lagoon ave, not that that matters much. . If you're using a different carrier, then disregard.

So, my son went to moloka'i with school last month and it's absolutely been the highlight of his time living in hawaii. He actually stayed in Kalaupapa for the weekend and his group id volunteer work with the NPS, but also got the full tour of all the important sites. He's talked so much that my husband and I want to do one of the tours. So I would say totally do it.

Uber would be pretty expensive, but if that's your only option, then that's what you'd have to do. I believe the tours use Makani kai air which isn't located directly on the main airport terminal. it's located down lagoon ave, not that that matters much. . If you're using a different carrier, then disregard.
Thanks! I don’t know how we will get there yet. Still looking at company’s that have this tour. Don’t know if they will pick you up at your hotel ( we will be staying in Waikiki for 5 days) or if we have to get ourselves to the plane. Thank you so much for your comments. A very ill person visited Fr. Damien’s gravesite and asked for his intercession for healing her cancer. When she returned from her trip, various medical X-rays, blood work and exams showed her cancer disappearing. She eventually was cured of her cancer and it was this documented and verified miracle that propelled Fr. Damien to Sainthood. She was from Baltimore. The Baltimore Sun ran a big article about it. It would be a special trip for me to get there.

You must look up his story, also his beatification and what miracles led to his Sainthood :)
I read many books about Hansen’s disease, Father Damian and Hawaii when I was growing up.
I also have a well worn NP Passport. The visit has been on my radar, and we seriously looked into it last February. What I saw was more physically challenging, my walking is not steady, than I could handle. I would love to see what you find and experience.

I read many books about Hansen’s disease, Father Damian and Hawaii when I was growing up.
I also have a well worn NP Passport. The visit has been on my radar, and we seriously looked into it last February. What I saw was more physically challenging, my walking is not steady, than I could handle. I would love to see what you find and experience.
You can actually fly into kalaupapa. You only have to hike or donkey from the topside.

I toured Kalaupapa two years ago and really liked it. I'm extremely secular, but having gone to Catholic schools, I could appreciate at the religious aspect of it. I was more interested in the social and historical aspects which were totally fascinating.

Can you elaborate on the hike please?
DH may be too heavy for donkey ride.
Bobbi:)

I have read on the NPS website that the hike is only for the seriously fit. Steep, narrow, switchbacks, loose stone/shale on the path, mud, etc. apparently NPS is often rescuing folks who try to hike in/out.

Yeah, it's not a "oh let's go for a hike today" hike. It's a serious hike down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!