Found some very old negatives.

weewuvvdisney

DIS Veteran
Probably from the 50's. The biggest ones are 4" x 5 1/4". The majority are 2 1/4" x 3 1/2". How would I be able to transfer them to pictures? I did have a Slide Converter that I used for my parents slides but these negatives are much too big. Any ideas? Thanks!

The 4x5 is sheet film either from a view or press camera. The others would seem to be 620 size.

Do you have a basic scanner? With the right software, you can reverse to a positive. For consumers, I don't know of anything you can buy except for an 8x11 scanner to get the 4x5s into digital format. After a quick check, you may be in the same boat for the 620 too.

It may come down to determining if their content is worth spending money for. Lots of services online will do them for you but it may be as cheap to buy an Epson (Vxxx series) to do them yourself.

The good news though is that they are likely black/white so should scan well! I have always found that my b/w slides and negatives from the 50s, 60s scan better than my color ones.

The 4x5 is sheet film either from a view or press camera. The others would seem to be 620 size.

Do you have a basic scanner? With the right software, you can reverse to a positive. For consumers, I don't know of anything you can buy except for an 8x11 scanner to get the 4x5s into digital format. After a quick check, you may be in the same boat for the 620 too.

It may come down to determining if their content is worth spending money for. Lots of services online will do them for you but it may be as cheap to buy an Epson (Vxxx series) to do them yourself.

We have a Canon Pixma MX922 printer so not so sure if that would work. Will have to check it out. Thanks.
The good news though is that they are likely black/white so should scan well! I have always found that my b/w slides and negatives from the 50s, 60s scan better than my color ones.

They definitely are black and white. I did scan some of my Dad's slides and they all had a blue tinge to them. Better than nothing. Thanks!

We have a Canon Pixma MX922 printer so not so sure if that would work. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

They definitely are black and white. I did scan some of my Dad's slides and they all had a blue tinge to them. Better than nothing. Thanks!

For basic printing purposes, if you installed the Canon S/W that came with the 9xx, you should be able to get a fair to good scan with the IJ Scan Utility. But you may need to tweak the levels in your pic software before printing to get rid of the blue. My guess for the 620 would be Kodak Verichrome Pan. Has a very fine grain. So you can kick up the DPI to get better resolution w/o losing as much detail with a lower setting. The sheet film might be somewhat dependent on what it actually is so you may have to experiment some.

You could try photographing the negatives taped on a lightbox (a monitor displaying white usually works well) then inverting the images in software. Don't get too close or you may pick up the monitor pixels. Here is one I did using that method with my phone. The negative is 2-1/4, 4x5 should work better.

Attachments

• packard.jpg
    packard.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 9
Sorry for taking so long to check in. Thanks for all the sduggestions. I did contact Canon and was told that we couldn't do anything with our printer.

I have to talked to someone I know and he has a flatbed printer and he can do things like this. Hasn't worked with larger older negatives but is going to give it a try. I also have some old slides that I had scanned. They have a blueish tint to them. He has offered to rescan and try to correct the color. Just waiting to borrow the slides back from my brother and then we will see what comes about.

I did scan all the negatives and have saved them. I can recognize some people. I need to look at the older pictures that I do have from my Dad to see if some of them have already been printed. Since someone has offered to help, I don't want to ask him to do 183 pictures. I know that I do have prints of some of them.

Again thanks for the responses.

This is one of those types of projects needing patience and time, both of which I have very little of. So good luck and best wishes for success.

For those eavesdropping:

The majority of flatbed scanners that will scan slides will also scan black and white negatives. But there is still a catch. Most will not scan negatives that large. It would be hit or miss unless you check the specs for the scanner.

It is also hit or miss if you try to scan the negative as if it were a print (and use Photoshop or other means to convert it to a "positive" i.e. a print). The shiny surface of the negative might result in unwanted reflections of the scanner light throughout your scan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter