"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

During our recent drive to central FL, we had lots of construction delays in NC (3 lanes to 1) on I-95, and, of course, the never ending Jacksonville construction continues.

All the best! :thumbsup2

We hope no one was caught in the recent snow as they drove to (or from) WDW.

We hope no one was caught in the recent snow as they drove to (or from) WDW.

Glad we aren't leaving Southern Ontario right now - snow, snow and more snow, never taken the RV out in the snow before especially towing the Equinox behind.

We are at 9 days left until we drive from North Bay, Ontario. This is our first time driving and I'm a little apprehensive. First night we are staying at my Aunt's in Michigan, second day we are aiming to get past Atlanta, and 3rd arrive in Kissimmee. We are bringing a friend with our girls (12, 12, and 10) and none of them are finding out until we wake them up the day we leave. I booked our hotel in Georgia because it is probably the busiest travel weekend of the year and I needed to be sure we'd have one for the 5 of us. Fingers crossed weather cooperates and we don't get sick!

You are brave driving down from North Bay at this time of year. With the Arctic blast we just got this week, hope you are driving in a car not an RV. How long will it take you to get to the Detroit area from home? I know from our home in Oshawa, Ontario and driving at least 10 hour days or more, we still need 2 nights before we arrive at Fort Wilderness the next day around late morning. I know North Bay is a long way from here but perhaps being closer to I-75 is to your advantage. Have a fun trip.

It'll take about 9 hours. We have a van with snow tires. I wanted to take the I-75 because of the time of year. There is a quicker route but more risky. I figure the next day will be about 14 hours-ish (taking breaks into consideration) and the last day 6. My good friend drives straight through every March, but I think she is nuts lol

@morrik5, not sure if you are traveling to the Fort or not, but safe travels where ever they may take you.
Thanks @snowmedic - we are leaving April 19th with a 21st check-in to the Fort. Our daughter and her family will be flying in and staying at a cabin while we are hopefully in the 2100 loop. This will be the earliest the RV has been dewinterized and I can assure you there's no green stuff in the trees or on the ground around here right now :)

Attachments

• IMG_9096(1).jpg
    IMG_9096(1).jpg
    191 KB · Views: 8
Getting ready to leave in a week for drive #4 from South Dakota - as of right now, it looks like the weather will hold ok, so went ahead and booked our first drive night hotel on non-refundable points. We will split the drive down over 3 days, since our youngest has cheer practice until 5:30 the evening we leave, and we prefer our last drive day to be shorter, coming from Macon or closer. Can’t wait to get started!

Does anybody know of any hotel brands that can be cancelled with less than 24hours notice without charging a cancellation fee?

Leaving early Thursday from western CT (around3-4am) and decided to go the inland route this time. When you do you guys usually come across to 95. Virginia or maybe NC. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Does anybody know of any hotel brands that can be cancelled with less than 24hours notice without charging a cancellation fee?
It is usually up to the individual hotel. We have stayed in Hilton, Marriott & Hyatt brands hotels. Some have had same day and others with 24 to 48 hours notice. The hotel's website should list it's cancellation policy

It is usually up to the individual hotel. We have stayed in Hilton, Marriott & Hyatt brands hotels. Some have had same day and others with 24 to 48 hours notice. The hotel's website should list it's cancellation policy

Thanks I was having a little trouble finding one but I found that La Quinta allows cancellations up to 6:00 pm the day of arrival (although they did say it may vary by date so make sure to double check).

In seeing what is going on with Atlanta’s airport right now, and knowing the delay ripples it will cause everywhere, I remember why we prefer to drive over these high travel seasons!
I saw some people were stuck in airplanes, on the runway, for more than 8 hours! That is absolutely my worst nightmare, and as you said, one we avoid by driving. Many passengers were on their planes for over 10 hours, including travel time. That's half of my 20-hour drive! Confined to a cramped, no-air-circulating, airplane cabin. And when you factor in getting to the airport early, plus the drive to get to the airport, you're looking at potentially 12+ hours for that single flight. Yikes!

Last edited:
Leaving early Thursday from western CT (around3-4am) and decided to go the inland route this time. When you do you guys usually come across to 95. Virginia or maybe NC. Any recommendations? Thanks.

From Northern NJ, I take 78-81-77-26-95. You rejoin 95 in SC. It is such a pleasant drive compared to 95. So worth the extra time (1 hour?)!

From Northern NJ, I take 78-81-77-26-95. You rejoin 95 in SC. It is such a pleasant drive compared to 95. So worth the extra time (1 hour?)!

Been there done that. I prefer I95 straight through overnight. But only leaving between 7 and 10 PM. putting us in SC as the sun comes up in the morning. No traffic in Baltimore, DC and Richmond.

I'll be making a solo run on Jan 2nd. 7am Cape May Ferry and Bridge Tunnel for a change of pace. Weather permitting.

When taking the "inland" in the winter months, check the weather forecast in a few areas, Verona Virginia, Christiansburg Virginia, Pulaski Virginia, Hillsville Virginia and or Union grove N. Carolina.
It maybe be rain on the bottom of the mountain and snowing on the mountain.
Spent the night in my car at Whites Truck stop in January 1994.lol It can get a bit slick going through those mountains. Lol
Where I live, which is in the Lehigh valley, Pa. It's faster taking the inland then going down 95.
If there are some questions on weather up there, I'll take 78,66,17,95. Drops be just north of Richmond. 17 can be a mess sometimes and we all know what 95 in the Richmond area can look like.
We leave Fridays around 11am. I hit the Florida state line at 12:30am Saturday morning. Sleep a few hours and drive the state of Florida 3:30am/4am and pull in around 5:30/6am. No traffic in Jacks or Orlando.

We headed out early to get ahead of the ice that hit part of our route yesterday, so we have some extra time today in St Louis so we avoid too heavy of traffic in Atlanta. We are planning to take the kids to the arch as a result. Yet one more benefit of driving!

We are planning our next WDW drive, which will probably commence next Thursday morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter