"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Did anyone ever tow a small trailer [U-Haul 4X8) in an SUV to FL? Please be kind enough to share that experience.

All the best! :thumbsup2

Did anyone ever tow a small trailer [U-Haul 4X8) in an SUV to FL? Please be kind enough to share that experience.

We towed our small camper behind our van. It was a very long slow drive. I really doubt we will do it again. Trailer tires were only rated for 65mph. And it killed mileage. From 25mpg to 13mpg.

Camper is bigger than a uhaul though.

Depending on what's in the trailer, it could be cheaper to palletize and ship it down.

I think the only regular stop we make is to Ellis Bros. Pecans in Georgia. We like to stop there on the way down to pick up a few snacks, like roasted or chocolate covered nuts, for the trip. (Like Disney doesn't have enough snacks to choose from as it is.) Otherwise, it is completely random when we stop, dependent on bathroom needs, when we need to stretch our legs, etc. I never like to see my gas tank below 1/2 tank on long road trips, and it varies when we get to the point that I feel the need to fill up.

Bathroom breaks seem to be the main reason we stop. I don't mind going below 1/8 tank, but the kids/wife can't go 6+ hours without a potty stop

We towed our small camper behind our van. It was a very long slow drive. I really doubt we will do it again. Trailer tires were only rated for 65mph. And it killed mileage. From 25mpg to 13mpg.

Camper is bigger than a uhaul though.

Depending on what's in the trailer, it could be cheaper to palletize and ship it down.

Thank you! This is a one-way drive with the small U-Haul trailer; the moving van is taken most everything else.
The founder of this thread is moving to within one hour of WDW at the end of the month!

What part of Michigan? We are on the west side, so typically take I75 to chattanooga and then head west on I24. I think the drive is a maybe 20 minutes faster on I75 but this way we avoid cinncy and dayton. 75-24-65-69

I'm at the base of the thumb, about an hour out of Detroit, so for us it is 94 -> 75 and just keep going.

I have towed everything from a pop up camper to a 11k pound,37' prowler travel trailer. It may be cheaper to ship the items down. If you do decide to tow, the hardest part is backing up. The smaller the trailer, the harder it is. They react a lot faster then a longer trailer and tend to jack knife faster. Keep in mind a few things, getting gas, getting gas at a station that you pull in parallel to the building is a lot easier. It may sway a bit. Stopping distances are longer. Always remember your swing when turning. Being a rental, you won't have much time to practice if it's your first time.
I have a feeling by the time your done paying for the trailer, extra gas etc... plus your aggravation, it maybe be easier just to ship it.

I have towed everything from a pop up camper to a 11k pound,37' prowler travel trailer. It may be cheaper to ship the items down. If you do decide to tow, the hardest part is backing up. The smaller the trailer, the harder it is. They react a lot faster then a longer trailer and tend to jack knife faster. Keep in mind a few things, getting gas, getting gas at a station that you pull in parallel to the building is a lot easier. It may sway a bit. Stopping distances are longer. Always remember your swing when turning. Being a rental, you won't have much time to practice if it's your first time.
I have a feeling by the time your done paying for the trailer, extra gas etc... plus your aggravation, it maybe be easier just to ship it.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Had a great ride to WDW
We left Thursday night at 7:15 from Toms River NJ (1048 miles) pulled into SSR at 10:20 Friday morning. 3 quick stops for gas and 1 restroom stop. and to top it off I got a text that our room was ready at 11:35.

Last edited:
Thank you! This is a one-way drive with the small U-Haul trailer; the moving van is taken most everything else.
The founder of this thread is moving to within one hour of WDW at the end of the month!

Good luck with the move and much happiness in your new home.

Had a great ride to WDW
We left Thursday night at 7:15 from Toms River NJ (1086 miles) pulled into SSR at 10:20 Friday morning. 3 quick stops for gas and 1 restroom stop. and to top it off I got a text that our room was ready at 11:35.

Great times on that drive!

Good luck with the move and much happiness in your new home.

Thank you so very much! The best time that we made from our new home to WDW is 58 minutes, which is less than NJ-to-WDW time! :tongue:

We plan on returning every summer to the Jersey Shore for a lengthy stay, so I'll still qualify to participate on the thread I created! Still, I'll never catch up to dvczerfs :drive:

Countdown: two weeks from tomorrow.

Thank you so very much! The best time that we made from our new home to WDW is 58 minutes, which is less than NJ-to-WDW time! :tongue:

We plan on returning every summer to the Jersey Shore for a lengthy stay, so I'll still qualify to participate on the thread I created! Still, I'll never catch up to dvczerfs :drive:

Good luck to you both. I’m so jealous. Can’t wait for retirement. We will hopefully be doing the same someday.

Oh you may catch me. 29 more months ( but who's counting) Dw is going to retire from her current profession.
We will both be 55 at that time and we may be your neighbor. Lol
Once we go, I'm not coming back north. I had enough. Lol
108 more days and counting. Heading to Bradenton to put a new bathroom in for my inlaws and hitting the Polynesian for four nights before heading home.

Had a great ride to WDW
We left Thursday night at 7:15 from Toms River NJ (1086 miles) pulled into SSR at 10:20 Friday morning. 3 quick stops for gas and 1 restroom stop. and to top it off I got a text that our room was ready at 11:35.
That is some great time, do you do 95 all the way?

Had a great ride to WDW

Thats a great drive time. What type of car and how many people?

Oh you may catch me. 29 more months ( but who's counting) Dw is going to retire from her current profession.
We will both be 55 at that time and we may be your neighbor. Lol
Once we go, I'm not coming back north. I had enough. Lol
108 more days and counting. Heading to Bradenton to put a new bathroom in for my inlaws and hitting the Polynesian for four nights before heading home.

Based on your previous post suggestion, we passed on the trailer idea and decided to ship additional items that originally were not designated for the moving van.

Now then: let your 29-month countdown begin. And once you move to FL, the rest of the long distance drivers (a helluva great gang!) will battle out for the #1 and #2 all-time positions [see the first post on the first page].

Thats a great drive time. What type of car and how many people?
My adult son and I. I have a ‘03 Chevy venture I bought 2years ago with low miles. It has a range of about 470 miles on a tank. I fill at home and top off at the Maryland house rest area. That tank gets me 1/3 of the way into SC. We have to fill one more time in Florida. The secret is not waste time when you have to stop. Gas up, take care of nature and get back on the road. Our average speedcalculated by the van was around 74 mph. Mpg was 22

Had a great ride to WDW

Wow, it sounds like everything must have gone perfectly on that drive. I guess that overnight driving does work. I wish I could stay awake and drive through the night.

We do leave I95 for MD295 to go around DC.

We left for home 11:45am on Sunday. We hit only one bottleneck where I4 meets I95. A bunch of cars backed up to take the Rt92 exit that bypasses the construction. We didn't.

We arrived home at 320am. We did stop to eat in NC for about 20mins.

Fuel cost $225 for the round trip.

Considering leaving later in the day for our return home next time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts