"For 2,000+ Mile Round-Trip Drivers Only!" (Part V)

Picked up my wife at work at 11:00am. My friend in Jacksonville was heading up to Sc. for a Clemson game and was returning Sunday to seal up his home. Anymore then a 12 foot surge and he has water in his living room. I text him and told him we are on our way.
We stopped very little. It was clear sailing through Virginia and into Nc. Through Charlotte and out the other side no problem. Then, it started, north bound was bumper to bumper. Heading across the boarder I text my friend. Do I hold up in the hotel or go? He text me back and told me to give him a second. This second was longest part of the trip.lol
There was NO traffic heading south and clear skies.
The text came....... Go for it dude!!!! I filled up in Columbia Sc. No lines, no national guard.
On the way down we have people posting on social media that " they closed the state of Florida " lol
Please, do yourself a favor, turn of the news channel of your choice, and what my buddy called, " The Jerry Springer of weather", the weather channel.
Heading down i26, it was clear sailing. North, all bumper to bumper. I never seen so many cars.
Ever get the feeling your going the wrong way? That was the day. Lol
Crossed into Ga. and texted my friend, is there gas in Ga?
Again, I get the wait a second. He text me back the three exits in Ga that had plenty of gas. At this time I knew we are gonna make it. We hit the second exit he told me, remember, thousands of cars in the north bound side.
I pulled into a shell, there was two other cars getting gas and a lot of campers parked.
I filled and left.
I drove the rest of the way into Boardwalk. We arrived around 3:30am or so with 3/4 of a tank. We were able to check in and got into our room!!
We did stop at the Florida Welcome Center. There were 5 cars in the entire lot, 2 were state troopers. Went to the restroom, came out and my wife said, let's get out of here, this is creepy.
All in all, it was one of the best drives I can remember.
Went to Epcot Saturday and Saturday night. Got up Sunday to some rain. We met up with some friends from home who were here at boardwalk who were stranded by the airlines.
Said a little prayer for the people in South Florida and went to the Belview in boardwalk. Just some rain on and off all day. Went down to the convention center around five for a buffet. Hung out there till about midnight, trying to run the bar out of captain and coke, they won. Lol
About 2am, the hurricane kicked up. Wind,rain till about 4-5am and the worse was over.
If you went to bed at midnight and woke up at 6am, you would have never known what was going on. We heard nothing inside the resort. We are in a one bedroom.
That was it!!! We went through Wilma in 2005 and now Irma in 2017!
Local area took the dirty part of the storm. Estimate of 100 mph winds.

So I guess you may have found a new way to avoid traffic when driving to WDW, go during severe hurricanes!

If drives to Disneyland count towards thread totals, looks like I'll (finally) be earning my 2000 Mile Round-Trip bronze status in 2019! We've deicided next year will be drive #4, this time to DLR from Wisconsin (2000 miles one-way! :car:). Then in 2019, it'll be back down to WDW for our fourth 2600 mile round-trip drive, #5 overall (if you count DLR in those totals).

The founder of this site will allow DLR 2,000+ mile round trip drives to be considered for bronze status. [How about that for official recognition?] :cool2:

All the best! :thumbsup2

Going back in April and we were actually going to fly. We just bought my husband a new vehicle....4 door jeep. First thing he says....can't wait to drive this to Florida!!!! LOL

Going back in April and we were actually going to fly. We just bought my husband a new vehicle....4 door jeep. First thing he says....can't wait to drive this to Florida!!!! LOL

Cool! No getting to the airport two hours early; no TSA experience; no battling for the overhead bins; no waiting for your bags (and no lost luggage); no waiting for ground transportation; pack whatever you want in your vehicle; depart when you want to; stop when you want to; eat and drink during your journey; stretch your legs at a rest stop; use a highway rest room that's much bigger than a airplane's coffin-sized lav; blast your favorite tunes...and sing along; travel with who you want to sit next to; no turbulence; and no outrageous air fares! May we add: "Your flight has been delayed/cancelled!"
Of course, there are other reasons to drive instead of fly. But then again, that's why this site exists! :drive:

Hi All:
We are leaving from Central New Jersey @ 2a on November 1st and plan to run straight through to Disney. I anticipate using Waze for directions all the way through.
I think we'd like to stop for breakfast once we've passed Richmond, Va to avoid getting getting caught in their AM rush. Any suggestions south of Richmond for breakfast, we've toying with trying a waffle house? Is it reasonable to think that we could make it to this as a first rest stop?
I've done the drive 5 or so times but my wife and 7yo son are first timers.
Thanks.

We stopped many years ago in Aunt somebody's pancake house in I believe southern VA, right off 95, but, my real point in replying is to warn you that you might be out of VA by the time you are ready for breakfast. We leave around 2:30 and are an hour and ten minutes from the DE Memorial Bridge, and by the time those that fell asleep in the car are arising, we are usually in NC, and once even SC (for someone who had stayed up the night before and only went to sleep in the car). Typically we are hitting Richmond around 7 AM, and entering NC round 8 AM. The lack of traffic at those early hours, and my admittedly heavy foot, allow you to make good progress on the road. Sorry but my group grew up to not be big breakfast eaters so we haven't been stopping for anything substantial in many years. There is a source of restaurants at each exit on 95: i95exitguide.com on which you can plot out several possible spots in case you get further than you initially planned. I see a number of Waffle Houses listed in southern VA and in NC, or maybe something else will catch your eye.

I was thinking that we may be through Richmond a bit early, especially with my son coming off of Halloween. I'm hoping he'll sleep nice and late. It would be great to be in SC by breakfast.
I've read a lot about increased speed enforcement through VA and NC and was thinking I'd slow it down there since I suffer from the same lead-foot affliction. Anything slower than 80 on the NJTP or GSP could very well get you killed.
I've bookmarked a few websites with recommendations at exits along the way. We also plan on backing a cooler with snacks to reduce stops and whining (ha).
Is it better to stop for breakfast and lunch or should we pack it up and picnic at a rest stop? Part of me just wants to get there...

I was thinking that we may be through Richmond a bit early, especially with my son coming off of Halloween. I'm hoping he'll sleep nice and late. It would be great to be in SC by breakfast.
I've read a lot about increased speed enforcement through VA and NC and was thinking I'd slow it down there since I suffer from the same lead-foot affliction. Anything slower than 80 on the NJTP or GSP could very well get you killed.
I've bookmarked a few websites with recommendations at exits along the way. We also plan on backing a cooler with snacks to reduce stops and whining (ha).
Is it better to stop for breakfast and lunch or should we pack it up and picnic at a rest stop? Part of me just wants to get there...
Just found this site it's great .Driven about 30 times from upstate NY in the past 18 years to disney and love the ride everytime.We will be leaving again on October 26th for 6 days at disney and then another 10 days in different parts of florida.We have always done the 81 to 66 to 17 to 95 route and missed the beltway cities

We are home!! What a great two week trip!! Traffic was light heading north. We went 4/95/26/77/81/78.
There were no gas issues anywhere, things seem to be back to normal.
We had breakfast at the wave the other morning and I ask our server how she made out in the storm? I ask just about every server that question, she said like most, lost power for a bit, no internet for a day or so. Some lost shingles and plants blown around.
She told me that they had clocked wind speeds in the low 90 at the Contemporary Sunday night of Irma.
Also found out what cms have to work through a hurricane. It's voluntary. Of course they go bare bones, house keeping etc... They are called ride out crews. Met two of the best cast members the night of the storm that we ever encountered. They stay at the resort till the all clear is givin. They stay punched in the entire time.
Most cms I talked to said they would rather ride it out on property than at home, safer.
A lot of younger cms. The two we hung out with Sunday night said our party, us and another couple from home who were stranded by the airlines, made it fun.lol
Even a week after the storm, they still looked for us and spent time hanging out.
The week following the storm the parks were empty. The resorts were packed with stranded flyers and evacuees.
The second week was food and wine type crowds.
We did Wilma in 2005 and now Irma. Hopefully that's it!!! Lol
Thanks to FB friends who followed along.
As always, we ate and drank to much but had a blast!!!
Back to work and back to eating like humans again tomorrow!!!
Thanks for reading!!

Gas prices s-l-o-w-l-y fall. Lowest price at this part of the Jersey Shore: $2.47 (regular).

Gas prices s-l-o-w-l-y fall. Lowest price at this part of the Jersey Shore: $2.47 (regular).

They should keep dropping. On my way to work today I saw some in the high 2.30's for cash/credit. When they went up, I paid $2.29 on Monday and $2.69 on Friday of that same week at the same station. Notice how much slower that drop back down is going! Incidentally, that same station is currently at $2.45.

We've got the lowest posted gas price in the world at our local Wawa station: 9/10 of a cent!

The station is currently closed while it undergoes the removal and installation of new gasoline storage tanks. But the illuminated sign posts the price of 9/10 of a cent for all grades! Fill 'er up for less than a quarter!

Now if only I could see the price of a Grand Floridian Resort room for $1.98 a night!

$2.13 for us.

Wow, what state is that price found in? The lowest I have seen here in NJ is $2.32. But of course that includes a somewhat recent 23 cent a gallon hike in the gas tax. We used to have one of the lowest gas taxes, so the price would have been only $2.09 now without that increase! Are you in a low gas tax state?

Wow, what state is that price found in? The lowest I have seen here in NJ is $2.32. But of course that includes a somewhat recent 23 cent a gallon hike in the gas tax. We used to have one of the lowest gas taxes, so the price would have been only $2.09 now without that increase! Are you in a low gas tax state?
The $2.13 was at a Costco in New Orleans two days ago. We are back in Arkansas today. Gas is $2.17 at the grocery store pumps. Plus I will probably get another 20-30 cents off from my grocery points. (Kroger)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter