Flying to Paris is an hour and 1/2 enough time to get through Customs in Iceland?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
Flying from the US to Paris with an hour and 1/2 layover in Iceland. Will that be enough time to get through Customs? Do we need to get our luggage first or does our luggage go on to GDG? In the past, my trips to Europe have been non-stop. So I am not sure what we will need to do.

Flying from the US to Paris with an hour and 1/2 layover in Iceland. Will that be enough time to get through Customs? Do we need to get our luggage first or does our luggage go on to GDG? In the past, my trips to Europe have been non-stop. So I am not sure what we will need to do.

I'm going to guess, since my flight has the same connection time next weekend, that they wouldn't sell the flights that way if it wasn't enough time. My flight is on Icelandair and I'm sure they are aware of the amount of time needed to do everything since they advertise that they are a great way to get to Europe.

I'm going to guess, since my flight has the same connection time next weekend, that they wouldn't sell the flights that way if it wasn't enough time. My flight is on Icelandair and I'm sure they are aware of the amount of time needed to do everything since they advertise that they are a great way to get to Europe.
Our flight is with Icelandair as well. It makes sense that they would not sell a flight that you couldn't get through customs and get to your next gate.

Our flight is with Icelandair as well. It makes sense that they would not sell a flight that you couldn't get through customs and get to your next gate.

The airport is also small compared to most we are used to flying in/out/through. I looked it up earlier to see about food options and there's 3-4 places that sell food compared to a lot of airports that have mall sized food courts.

We are also flying Iceland Air with a similar layover time. My husband called to confirm this was okay and they said it's standard to have a short layover because the airport is so small and they have the flexibility to hold planes if your first flight is a little bit late.

If you are on the same airline and not leaving the secure area, then you likely don't have to go through customs (you technically don't "arrive" in Iceland, you are on a stopover. If you are switching airlines and have to retrieve your baggage outside of security, then you may have to clear customs into Iceland. When in doubt, check with your travel agent, or call the airline to be sure.

Our friend who use to work for the airlines and has since retired gave us this piece of advice. Arrival time is when the wheels hit the tarmac, not when you arrive at the gate. So you need to take into consideration time from the wheel hitting, taxing, parking at the gate, then the fun stuff like waiting to get off the plane. Where are you sitting should be taken into consideration, if you are way in the back it going to eat up more time of that lay over time. Once off, restroom break, and finding your next gate domestic flights, or on international flights customs/ immigration take time, picking up luggage and rechecking them, back through security.... then finding your next gate... Also what time of day will you be arriving, play a part into the whole time...

When we came back to the US from our trip, we landed in Boston and we were in row 11, basically running off the plane through customs and immigration, then on to baggage, then recheck, then we had to walk to the other side of the airport then again thru security, then finding our gate. We had an hour and twenty minute layover and we were speed walking or running the whole time. If we were in the back of the plane there would have been no way we would have gotten to our connection gate in time. We started with a 3 hour layover and the airline kept changing times.

I would call the airline and double check and triple check what the routine is once you land so you know what to do... and then plan from that...

The Short answer is- Yes, as long as your first flight isn't delayed in arriving in Iceland. My first flight was delayed once, and I missed my connection, but I was able to get on the next flight, just 3 hours later.

From the US, you will arrive in one "terminal" aka a hallway, and then your connecting flight to the EU with be in the other terminal. They are separated by the Customs booths. Iceland customs has always been quick and painless for connecting flight- you walk up, show them your passport, and they stamp it- done. My only complaint is that it is a teeny tiny airport, so the departure gates can get quite congested.

Our friend who use to work for the airlines and has since retired gave us this piece of advice. Arrival time is when the wheels hit the tarmac, not when you arrive at the gate. So you need to take into consideration time from the wheel hitting, taxing, parking at the gate, then the fun stuff like waiting to get off the plane. Where are you sitting should be taken into consideration, if you are way in the back it going to eat up more time of that lay over time. Once off, restroom break, and finding your next gate domestic flights, or on international flights customs/ immigration take time, picking up luggage and rechecking them, back through security.... then finding your next gate... Also what time of day will you be arriving, play a part into the whole time...

When we came back to the US from our trip, we landed in Boston and we were in row 11, basically running off the plane through customs and immigration, then on to baggage, then recheck, then we had to walk to the other side of the airport then again thru security, then finding our gate. We had an hour and twenty minute layover and we were speed walking or running the whole time. If we were in the back of the plane there would have been no way we would have gotten to our connection gate in time. We started with a 3 hour layover and the airline kept changing times.

I would call the airline and double check and triple check what the routine is once you land so you know what to do... and then plan from that...

Boston is a large airport, Iceland is probably less than half the size of the Boston airport. It's not even close to being comparable.

Thank you for all your replies. I have landed in Boston coming from Beijing and had to change airlines, Boston is a huge airport and it was a lengthy process. I looked at a map of the airport in Iceland and it does look small. The information on Icelandair says " You do not need to pick up your bags in Keflavík if you are flying with Icelandair from North America to Europe via Keflavík (or vice versa), your reservation is on one ticket, you have checked in your bags to your final destination, and the stop in Iceland is less than 12 hours." I guess I should have looked there first. So at least I know we do not need to collect our luggage first, just go through the security check.

I think that it depends greatly on the operating procedures at the airport. For instance, Air Canada will book a Toronto layover around 1.5 hours, connecting US airports to Paris. But, the issue is that in Toronto, you are deemed to be entering Canada and have to claim your luggage, go through customs and then get your bags back on your next plan, go through security and get to your gate for your next flight. It is incredibly tight to impossible, most of the time. And very stressful all of the time.

I can't speak to Icelandair and their procedures, but just because they allow you to book it that way doesn't mean it is the best idea. Also, it really depends on how important it is that you make the connection.

Good luck. (We are considering whether or not we are going to do the Air Canada thing for our trip next year. Makes me really nervous.)

Went through this morning. Passport control was easy and moved fairly quickly .10 to 15 min. Go to the bathroom before it though Cause I never saw others and they are downstairs.

The one thing not mentioned anywhere is you may not deplane at a gate but on the tarmac and then bussed to the terminal. I wasn't sure on timing so I opted to get food on my flight to Paris and was on the 1st of 3 or 4 buses to the plane. On the way home I'll take a few min to hit the gift shop.

It's a small airport but it was also way more crowded than I expected. Waiting for my suitcase in Paris now so we can get to DLP.

Went through this morning. Passport control was easy and moved fairly quickly .10 to 15 min. Go to the bathroom before it though Cause I never saw others and they are downstairs.

The one thing not mentioned anywhere is you may not deplane at a gate but on the tarmac and then bussed to the terminal. I wasn't sure on timing so I opted to get food on my flight to Paris and was on the 1st of 3 or 4 buses to the plane. On the way home I'll take a few min to hit the gift shop.

It's a small airport but it was also way more crowded than I expected. Waiting for my suitcase in Paris now so we can get to DLP.
Thank you so much for posting this.

Word of warning about using two different airlines. Our original itinerary had us going to/from our home city to Toronto round trip, and in between going Toronto-Iceland-Paris. Lots of time before and after flights. Then Icelandair cancelled our flight (from two per day through Toronto to one per day). So our return flight from Reykjavik was now arriving after our Toronto to home flight took off. Had to pay change fees because the two flights were not booked together (was cheaper this way). Travel cancellation insurance denied the claim, but the broker paid the change fee on a good will basis. So keep connections in mind when booking flights.

Word of warning about using two different airlines. Our original itinerary had us going to/from our home city to Toronto round trip, and in between going Toronto-Iceland-Paris. Lots of time before and after flights. Then Icelandair cancelled our flight (from two per day through Toronto to one per day). So our return flight from Reykjavik was now arriving after our Toronto to home flight took off. Had to pay change fees because the two flights were not booked together (was cheaper this way). Travel cancellation insurance denied the claim, but the broker paid the change fee on a good will basis. So keep connections in mind when booking flights.
Fortunately, we are booked with Icelandair from the US to Iceland and then from Iceland to Paris.

Just returned from flying from the US to Paris on Icelandair. Our flight went great on the way to Paris. I can confirm that you do not need to pick up your luggage. 1hr 15 min was really the perfect layover. We deplaned, used the restrooms, bought water (couldn't find any drinking fountains), and probably only had to wait 20 min for boarding to start on our next flight.
On the way home, we got to the CDG airport 3 hours early. We tried to print our luggage tags from a kiosk and kept getting an error. Unfortunately at 3 hours early there were only 3 people working the check-in counter and the line was VERY long. There were no other employees around giving directions yet. We managed to flag an arriving employee down who told us the plane was going to be an hour late and we would miss our connection and that was why we couldn't print luggage tags (we had already checked in online the day before and were not emailed any notice that an issue had arisen). The employee sent us to a different location for their help desk. They were able to put us on different airlines' flights to get home ~5 hours later than originally planned. So while it meant we were up for 24 straight hours, we were impressed they got us home the same day. That said, both our flights to and from Dulles were full. By the time we had made our arrangements the line at the help desk was pretty long. I'm not sure when the people at the end of the line ended up getting home. It definitely highlighted the importance of arriving early!

Just returned from flying from the US to Paris on Icelandair. Our flight went great on the way to Paris. I can confirm that you do not need to pick up your luggage. 1hr 15 min was really the perfect layover. We deplaned, used the restrooms, bought water (couldn't find any drinking fountains), and probably only had to wait 20 min for boarding to start on our next flight.
On the way home, we got to the CDG airport 3 hours early. We tried to print our luggage tags from a kiosk and kept getting an error. Unfortunately at 3 hours early there were only 3 people working the check-in counter and the line was VERY long. There were no other employees around giving directions yet. We managed to flag an arriving employee down who told us the plane was going to be an hour late and we would miss our connection and that was why we couldn't print luggage tags (we had already checked in online the day before and were not emailed any notice that an issue had arisen). The employee sent us to a different location for their help desk. They were able to put us on different airlines' flights to get home ~5 hours later than originally planned. So while it meant we were up for 24 straight hours, we were impressed they got us home the same day. That said, both our flights to and from Dulles were full. By the time we had made our arrangements the line at the help desk was pretty long. I'm not sure when the people at the end of the line ended up getting home. It definitely highlighted the importance of arriving early!
Thak you for your report. On our trip back home we are being picked up at 10:00 am for a 2:10 flight, I wanted to be sure we have plenty of time to get squared away at the airport. Fingers crossed that we won't have any delays as we only have an hour and 20-minute layover in Reykjavik.

I recently had about an hour and a half layover in Iceland and it was plenty of time, even with taxiing, busing, and going through customs. And there was a loooong line for customs. It was still plenty of time. You should have no problem. You do get a stamp in Iceland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter