Flight of Passage just not for me.

It's an amazing time we live in - where imagineers can design thrill rides that don't actually go anywhere and yet still manage to make lots of people sick.

The good news is that (other than the Millennium Falcon ride) many of the other announced rides coming to WDW are not simulators - the new Toy Story Land rides (although I'll take my chances on FoP rather than spinning teacup rides any day), the Mickey, First Order and Remy dark rides, and the Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy coasters don't show a trend towards screen-centric simulators (although some of those may rely heavily on screens with ride movement, like Mickey). Disney does a great job of diversifying its rides and not doing the same thing over and over. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ride Dumbo, Astro-Orbiter, and Aladdin's Carpets before heading to AK for Triceratop Spin.

Noooo, the saucer ride will be so much more than spinning teacups! Junkyard Jamboree is SO MUCH fun.

I just rode FOP last week for the first time. I thought it was an absolutely incredible experience.

I wish Disney would install some non-moving ride vehicles in some of the simulator rides (like Pandora FOP). Or offer certain showings where they turn the ride motion off. That way more guests could enjoy more rides.

Universal used to do this in the old days - I remember sitting on a bench watching some show there.

Despicable Me has a non-moving bench which is cool. You still get to wear the glasses and get the 3-D effect

First time, held on tightly. Second time, loosened my grip and took one hand off the link chair to test my own limits. 3rd time, during certain dive scenes, removed both hands from the link chair. Disclaimer: I recommend you adhere to the ride's safety policies.

I’m riding in about 27 days. I am prone to motion sickness (I hate forbidden journey but it’s not like it kills me for the whole day) so I’m curious to see how I do on this one.

Does the smell on FOP bother anyone else?

I finally rode it on Saturday and it made me feel terrible. I already get motion sickness, but the scents almost pushed me over the edge.

Soarin' gave me motion sickness and activated my fear of heights the first time. I was really surprised that FOO did not. Soarin' made me feel like I was falling at times. Consistently and right from the beginning FOP made me feel not like I was falling but rather like I was FLYING. Loved it!

Noooo, the saucer ride will be so much more than spinning teacups! Junkyard Jamboree is SO MUCH fun.
Thanks - now you've got me thinking. I try to give every ride a spin even if I'm pretty sure it's not my cup of tea (no pun intended) - so maybe I'll like the saucers more than I expect. Junkyard Jamboree looks like it rotates fairly slow. Although I do realize those sound like famous last words, along the lines of "the drop doesn't seem that high" or "you couldn't possibly get that wet on the ride" or "it's not like you could go insane on a slow boat ride through kaleidoscopic rooms filled with thousands of internationally-themed dolls all chanting the same song over and over".

Three times in a row is my absolute, headache-inducing limit on Star Tours and Forbidden Journey - can't imagine it'd be any different on FoP. Meanwhile, I have been known to ride stuff like BTMRR or SM so many times in a row I lost count. So for me, FoP at RD is like an amuse-bouche to the rest of my day at the parks - an amazing start, but never the main course I'll keep coming back to.

Does the smell on FOP bother anyone else?

I finally rode it on Saturday and it made me feel terrible. I already get motion sickness, but the scents almost pushed me over the edge.
We were talking about that the other day. It's like they had a bunch of leftover "dirt" smell from the new Soarin' movie and decided to spread it around.

I wish Disney would install some non-moving ride vehicles in some of the simulator rides (like Pandora FOP). Or offer certain showings where they turn the ride motion off. That way more guests could enjoy more rides.

Universal used to do this in the old days - I remember sitting on a bench watching some show there.
They used to offer a stationary cabin option on Star Tours. I don't know whether that's still an option, or has been discontinued due to staffing cutbacks.

Last year my mom became super ill after riding Mission Space. Is FOP going to do the same to her?
FoP is nothing like Mission Space which induces G forces on the body. I rode that last year and it took me a couple of hours to get over it and it was all to do with the induced pressure on the body. FoP is a "flying experience" in the same vein as Soarin' - which I absolutely loved and had no problems with.

Forgive me if discussed previously-
my main gripe with FoP (aside from the length of the preshow and the closeness in the room) was the sensations on my body..
I did not find that element fun at all

I've not seen any threads mention the gyrations - but that was not my scene

Last edited:
I was "borderline" on FOP back in October. Full disclosure I could not handle the original Mission Space [Red or whatever color its was]. HS Star Tours throws me through a loop too! We did FOP twice. FP+, no technical issues, queue was long but fine. My biggest complaint was that I felt like my special glasses were falling off the whole time. I will not go out of my way to ride again, so back to the Safari and Expedition Everest for me!

After much fear, I did this one. It wasn't too bad but it did turn my stomach some. My young son couldn't keep the glasses on. In the end I'm with you, this is the new cheap way to make a thrill ride, but I like the old way better. After all my fear of roller coasters big thunder mountain is my new favorite ride, it wins out big time to flight of passage. Especially at night with the castle and stars.

Big Thunder Mt. is a close 3rd for us. Riding during the fireworks is real cool as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter