Flight of Passage just not for me.

I do understand the concern about the take-over of 3D sims, and yes, the Star Wars Millenium Falcon ride will be one, too. But the other headliner looks like a real live ride-through adventure. I am really excited about that ride.

And my wife is one of the unfortunate motion sickness victims on FoP. Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as Harry Potter Forbidden Journey, but even so, she is done riding FoP.

I had planned to trying to get FP for our last day of our trip and take Dramamine the night before. I may try to get a 1:00 pm FP or later since it is our last day that way if I do get really sick it will be at the end of our day.
Be careful with that plan. If you do get sick, it would be a long drive home, or a long flight back home.

I don't suffer from motion sickness. After fop i was dizzy for a few minutes exiting the ride and it subsided after about five minutes. Lost my equilibrium a bit. Too many drops up and down repeatedly. I think simulators are just fancy ways of watching television and I wasn't too impressed. My 2 DS, teens, loved it and had the opportunity to go on twice in a row and declined. They were just done after once and didn't want to do it again.

It's interesting to compare Splash Mountain with Little Mermaid too - both are similar style rides with animatronics but the animatronics in Splash seem more advanced than the one in Little Mermaid which is decades newer.
Same (I think even more so) with Pirates and Winnie the Pooh. Ride Pirates first and then when you go to WTP it seems like it was built by a high school stage crew.

I’m with you on the 3D virtual ride aspect. To me this is the easy way out. It’s a lot more difficult to re-create actual scenes, imagery, etc using animatronics. I prefer the latter, which is why I have always chosen Disney over Universal.

Hopefully they continue to put together rides like tron, pirates of the carribean, splash mt, etc. truly immersive experiences and don’t take the easy way out.
You expressed my sentiments exactly, and I agree with you 100%. I'll take a tame little boat ride any day over watching a 3D film. It just doesn't do it for me. So while I understand the trend, I'm really not happy about it.

I find that Bonine or Dramamine help a lot with the vertigo, but my only complaint with FOP is that those darn glasses don't fit right! I spent way too much time adjusting them because they kept slipping. They're way too big!

yep, me too, I had to hold on to them with one hand the entire ride even with my head upright. Combine that with the front of the ride hitting me in the sternum and hurting and it's not worth the wait or the effort or the slight queasy feeling when I get off. It doesn't make me out right sick but I don't feel right when I get off and since I'm there for enjoyment, it doesn't make sense to ride it. Soarin doesn't bother me, Bugs life which uses glasses doesn't bother me, Toy Story doesn't bother me but part of it might be the distance to the screen since I don't see well close up and the screen is at just the right distance that my reading glasses don't work yet it's too close to be comfortable.

I thought it was very interesting, but I would NEVER wait in those lines without a FP. It just wasn't that special to me. I'd rather go on Big Thunder Mountain or sit through my umpteenth performance of Frozen Sing-a-long! I guess that's what makes Disney so wonderful - something for everyone!! :o

I'm sorry, that's such a bummer. FoP is my favorite ride now but I will say I was VERY worried for about the first 30 seconds of the ride. I immediately started to get very quesy when we started "flying" and my automatic reaction was to try to "fight it" by doing everything I could NOT to immerse myself in the ride. I quickly realized that wasn't working so I forced myself to stop thinking of it as a ride and to just allow myself to go with it and imagine it was real. The second I did that, any dizziness or queasiness IMMEDIATELY disappeared. I am one of those people who was so emotionally overwhelmed by the whole thing that I cried. I will add that I take non-drowsy Dramamine every morning at WDW because I am prone to motion sickness on any kind of 3D or simulator kind of ride. Even with the Dramamine, I don't enjoy Star Tours at all. I am nauseous and dizzy throughout the entire ride so I finally stopped riding it.
I have to totally agree with you on this. Motion sickness is a big problem for me and Dramamine, even the non-drowsy puts me right to sleep so I can't take them. I was really worried about FOP but was so into the ride and fascinated with everything that my mind didn't get a chance to get my stomach rolling. For one small point right near the end I started to feel a bit queasy but there ws no way I was missing anything and it passed as quickly as it started. Just as a fyi the new green side of Mission Space was very doable for me as well and I think partly for the same reason. It was so interesting seeing everything below you and it was being described to you what you were looking at as well so it was interesting and no queasiness at all. The orange MS is just awful in my opinion and the one time I rode it pretty much did me in for the whole day!

It's an amazing time we live in - where imagineers can design thrill rides that don't actually go anywhere and yet still manage to make lots of people sick.

The good news is that (other than the Millennium Falcon ride) many of the other announced rides coming to WDW are not simulators - the new Toy Story Land rides (although I'll take my chances on FoP rather than spinning teacup rides any day), the Mickey, First Order and Remy dark rides, and the Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy coasters don't show a trend towards screen-centric simulators (although some of those may rely heavily on screens with ride movement, like Mickey). Disney does a great job of diversifying its rides and not doing the same thing over and over. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ride Dumbo, Astro-Orbiter, and Aladdin's Carpets before heading to AK for Triceratop Spin.

The good news is that (other than the Millennium Falcon ride) many of the other announced rides coming to WDW are not simulators - the new Toy Story Land rides (although I'll take my chances on FoP rather than spinning teacup rides any day), the Mickey, First Order and Remy dark rides, and the Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy coasters don't show a trend towards screen-centric simulators (although some of those may rely heavily on screens with ride movement, like Mickey). Disney does a great job of diversifying its rides and not doing the same thing over and over. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go ride Dumbo, Astro-Orbiter, and Aladdin's Carpets before heading to AK for Triceratop Spin.

The Ratatouille ride is heavily screen based with 3D glasses. The trackless vehicle just takes you from screen to screen.

The Ratatouille ride is heavily screen based with 3D glasses. The trackless vehicle just takes you from screen to screen.
Makes sense - not a ride that particularly interests me, so I'm not up on the details or the DLP version. It's not a simulator, but still heavily (exclusively?) relies on screens that might cause similar issues. IIRC, the Mickey ride is expected also to use screens quite a bit.

If the imagineers wanted to really surprise and cut against trends/expectations on Remy, I suppose they could go the opposite direction and just use live rats - but that might make people sick for quite different reasons. Best to stick with the screens on that one.

I am thrilled they have quite a few VR rides now. I can do those all day long, but can not/ won't do real roller coasters. It is great that there is a mix of all types of rides for different ride styles. My sister is like others here though- does all big coasters and VR bothers her.

Makes sense - not a ride that particularly interests me, so I'm not up on the details or the DLP version. It's not a simulator, but still heavily (exclusively?) relies on screens that might cause similar issues. IIRC, the Mickey ride is expected also to use screens quite a bit.

Yup. My sister, who has only ever been bothered by Mission: Space orange, said she'll never ride it again after we went on it this spring. I found it somewhat disorienting, as well, but it didn't help that half of the 3D wasn't working in one scene (if you closed one eye the film was frozen, if you closed the other it was playing).

Oddly although my DW can not handle Soarin, Star Tours or Mission Space due to motion sickness, she was (mostly) okay on FOP - just a little off kilter.

Both her and I enjoyed the ride and it's probably now our favorite ride in WDW.

I thought it was technologically and visually stunning, but I didn't care for it at all. I'm glad we did it, but I have no desire to go again any time soon.

I wish Disney would install some non-moving ride vehicles in some of the simulator rides (like Pandora FOP). Or offer certain showings where they turn the ride motion off. That way more guests could enjoy more rides.

Universal used to do this in the old days - I remember sitting on a bench watching some show there.

Everyone’s got their thing...I’m glad you found rides more up your alley.

I personally think FOP was the best ride I ever rode.

First of all, my favorite attractions by far in all of WDW are Splash Mt. and Rock'n Roller coaster. That being said, Flight of Passage was a great experience and incredibly well done. However, the virtual reality 3-D glasses affects, just did me in motion sickness wise. From a technology standpoint, it's an enjoyable attraction, even though we really don't care about the movie or story line behind it. Unfortunately, the ground moved under my feet for a week after we returned home. (Could have taken dope for it, but didn't) It does disappoint me however, that Disney is moving away from Animatronics and more and more to 3-D virtual reality technology for its big thrill attractions.
After much fear, I did this one. It wasn't too bad but it did turn my stomach some. My young son couldn't keep the glasses on. In the end I'm with you, this is the new cheap way to make a thrill ride, but I like the old way better. After all my fear of roller coasters big thunder mountain is my new favorite ride, it wins out big time to flight of passage. Especially at night with the castle and stars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter