First visit to Cali - Please help!

leslie826

Mouseketeer
I'm in the beginning stages of planning our first trip next summer. We definitely want to spend 2 days in Disneyland. After that -- I'm clueless. The kids will be 13, 11, and 7. Not sure I want to do other amusement parks. I kind of want to do everything I've ever seen on TV... Hollywood, drive the PCH, CA beaches. Who had done a trip like this with kids around the ages of mine? I saw the sticky, but would love to hear personal experiences like, "We stayed at X hotel for 2 days, then drove to X and stayed..." Thanks!

I live here so I've haven't really done the hotels/itinerary thing, but I have 2 kids 11 and 9 and have done most of the "things you see on TV" at one time or another. I'd stay in Anaheim for a few days and do Disney/OC beaches then move to LA for a few and see what you want to see there. But we really need more guidance on when, how long, what you're interested in, etc. to give recommendations!

I dont have kids and I am a solo traveller. I have been visiting California and the LA area every year for the past 8 years and over that time basically done what you are describing. There is soo much to see and do and even after 8 visits there is still so much that I haven't experienced. People usually underestimate the distances and travel times involved. I would really recommend a split stay, somewhere in Anaheim for Disney and somewhere more central to do the tourist LA things.

I would recommend at least 10 days, 3 or 4 days for Disney Parks, with a travel day each end, then 4 or 5 days for LA with a travel day each end.

For Disneyland I stay in Anaheim. Check out Google maps, the motels on Harbour Blvd are the closest walking distance. Theres plenty of threads and discussions on here about all the various accommodation options. Everyone has an opinion, but basically decide your budget, and whether you want to walk or take a shuttle. Most people stay off site as there are only 3 onsite hotels and all 3 are high end.

For Universal Studios there are 2 options.
1. Stay at the onsite hotels
2. Stay in Hollywood
Again check Google maps. Alot of people recommend Lowes Hotel in Hollywood.

I have stayed in Downtown LA and used the Metro underground system to go to Hollywood and Universal Studios. Universal Studios is a 1 or 2 day park. I have been twice, one day visits in different years.

Hollywood Boulevard / Walk of Fame/ Chinese Theatre area is not what everyone expects. To be blunt its a seedy area and I dont feel safe walking around there after 5pm. I usually go there in the morning for a few hours, to go to the Hollywood and Highland Mall and Hard Rock Cafe. The Walk of Fame is full of "street entertainers" the lookalikes in cheap grotty not official costumes hustling for money. Many are actually homeless and they "earn" money by getting you to pay to have a photo taken with them.

I have also done the hop on hop off Big Red Bus tour. This is an open top Double Decker bus which has multiple routes around the main tourist highlights. For kids I would recommend La Brea Tar Pits.

Depending on your interests, there are also multiple companies doing tours of movie stars homes. These tours are not hop on hop off you just stay on the jeep / van for a 2 hour ride around LA.

This year I went to Warner Bros Studio Tour in Burbank. This tour is centred around the Warner Bros working studio sets, and is alot more interactive than the Studio Tram Tour in Universal Studios.

One thing I havent done yet is Griffith Observatory. Its one thing I see recommended alot but haven't got round to yet.

Santa Monica is the typical California beach area. It has a very good shopping and restaurant area as well as the famous Santa Monica Pier. I have stayed at Comfort Inn Santa Monica, which is about a mile inland from the beach / pier / main shopping area.

Santa Barbara is California wine country. The drive up Pacific Coast Highway and through the Santa Ynez Mountains is amazing. There are some really cool towns like Solvang, a Dutch settlement area.

Medieval Times in Buena Park is fun for kids. I also took the kids to the tar pits when they were teens and that was a nice day.

I haven’t done it, but I’d like to take the boat out to Channel Islands NP one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter