First trip to Disney- need your advice

mommyofthreeboys

DIS Veteran
Okay...first timer here. :) I'm planning a March 25-29, 2006 trip. I have lots of questions I hope you can help with. DH and my boys are going. ages 12, 7, and 4.

1. Someone told me they went during Spring Break several years ago and it was so crowded :crowded: at the parks that they put up "At full capacity" signs and was not allowing anyone else to enter? Should I worry about that? :confused3

2. Should I get the dining plan? We're not BIG eaters but like to drink (I know- alcohol isn't included) and I don't have a problem spending money on food. (I worked 12 years in the restaurant business so I like food!) I won't be wasting time packing snack food in the park because for me- it's easier to pay for a sanck then lug it around all day. So- yes or no on the dining plan? :stir:

3. Staying at POR. ant first timer tips for this place? best transportation? :moped:

4. Should I take advantage of the EMH for not? Is it busier at those parks on those days? :rolleyes1

5. We are staying 4 nights. Should I add the waterpark option? Will I have enough time to fit it all in? :hourglass

6. Has anyone tried out an iteniary service out? Such as Tour Guide Mike online. He says "My vacation planning techniques, attraction & entertainment advice, and Sample Park Tours are not available anywhere else." Is it worth it and does it work? See- my DH really doesn't want to go so I have to make this a really good trip so I don't want to spend alot of wasted time in lines and just not sure where to go and what to do on any given day. Can you help? :surfweb:

7. After checking out on the last day- I would like to head to the beach. What beach (we are heading north) should we go to? :sunny:

8. How long should I expect to wait in line to meet a character? ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

9. What is the weather like then? What should I pack- any sweatshirts or jeans? :umbrella: What do we do if it rains?

10. How much spending money should I bring? (I'm on a budget!) :upsidedow

Any other first timer tips would be helpful.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :disrocks:

Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions--there are a lot of people on this board with a lot of experience! It's been a long time since I had little ones and had to plan. But I just wanted to welcome you, and to encourage you as another mother of three boys (now 26, 23, and 21). Everything you own is going to be broken or sticky for a while, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel...and it's NOT an oncoming train! ;)

The weather should be fairly warm by then, but around here, you never really know.
Pack what you think you might need in the park, then rent a locker for things you don't need right away.

Have a great trip!

Why don't you repost your questions in the Theme Parks attractions and Strategies area? People might see it more there. :sunny:

Everything you own is going to be broken or sticky for a while, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel...and it's NOT an oncoming train! ;)

You promise????

Thanks for your help and well wishes!

There's a nice quiet padded room in heaven for mother of boys!

It WILL get better, and as young men, they will be the delight of your heart! (Not that they aren't that now...it will just be different). :) ;)

We are going to be there for nine days starting March 8 for our sixth trip...
There are a couple of items that I can "chime" in on that might help....

Crowds... we have been three times during our Spring break at various times during March... I think last year we were there until something like the 23rd of March which was our latest and while it was busy at times (I remember a Sunday at MK that was particularly crowded), the crowds never get close to being full capacity. Besides, staying on-site virtually guarantees entry, even after other non-resort guests are turned away. But, I wouldn't even think any more of this... there might be times when the crowds get high, but you won't see the parks at full capacity.

Dining plan - We have never done any of the dining packages, but last year we bought annual passes (because this spring break is over a week earlier than lats years, we can use the same passes), and bought the Disney Dining Experience card for 50 bucks. It allows 20% off for the entire party at most sit-down restaurants. Made my 50 back in two meals! Well worth it. I agree with you on snacks... we have tried to conserve by packing and carrying snacks (or keeping at room) and it is not worth the trouble.

POR Transportation - Well, we are staying at the POR this year s also (because we have five people and this is only mod that allows five) and I have reservations about the buses... last year we stayed at the French Quarter and loved it. But our busses would leave the FQ first, then we would stop at three or four stops at the POR and by the second or third, almost everyone that got on at the POR had to stand. Coming back it is no big deal, and was actually better for the POR folks because we dropped them off first.
If you want to go to Downtown Dis for any time, consider scheduling it in on a day when you are going to a park at a later time during the day. You can take a boat from the resort to DD, then take a bus from DD to a park. The stops at DD are kind of a pain and distance from everywhere else at DD, but they aren't usually crowded and the boat ride to DD is really nice.

EMH - We have always taken advantage of EMH, even going back to when it was just early entry. Couple of things that we have found... use the morning EMH to get to a park early and ride a couple of really popular rides and get out to another park. Do something like get a fastpass for one ride and go ahead and wait in line for another. Just remember, the one thing that we have found to be consistent is that a park that opens early tends to be busy all day... guess a lot of extra folks get there early and stay. Thats why we take advantage of the early hour, but then leave later in the morning. Last year we did two late EMH nights and loved them both, especially MK. We could virtually walk on any of our favorites, especially after an hour or two after normal closing.

Water Park - Four nights? Guess this depends on your family's preferences, but if you want to try and at least visit all four parks, you won't even see all of them in four or five days.... leave out the water parks.

Tour Guide Service - Never tried one. We do lay out a rough schedule of where we are going to be each day, usually scheduled around our dinner/lunch reservations and emh's. Enjoy the planning... it's a big part of the fun of a WDW vacation for us!

Beach - Can't give any details on beaches. One year my DW and myself went up the coast and visited some beaches around St. Augustine that we enjoyed, but don't remember enough to give details.

Lines for characters - Luck of the draw here... many times we have been standing somewhere and a character just appears and we are one of the first in line and wait just a few minutes. Sometimes I have seen lines 20 minutes or so. They usually won't be much longer out in the parks because the characters only stay out for so long each time. Want to be sure to see the major characters with up close greeting? Make some ressies at some restaurants that offer character dining. You can see winnie the pooh and friends, goofy, minnie and mickey, pluto, chip and dale, and others at various character meals. Many offer character lunches that aer more reasonable. I called two weeks ago for our dining reservations for the March 8 - March 16 trip and got every time I wanted.

Weather - This is the fun one! You might need a sweater some evenings where in March I have seen temps well into the 40's to be followed by a day in the 80's followed by rain in the evening. Bottom line... bring an assortment that can be used for a variety. Light jackets that can be carried if needed, shorts and jeans, etc. Rain? Buy a poncho (good idea to buy some cheap ones before you go) and when it rains, put your ponchos on and enjoy! A couple of years ago it rained HARD all day one day and we had one of the most fun days ever! The crowds disappear and virtually all attractions stay open. Short lines and lots of fun, goofy memories.

Spending money - I really don't want to touch this one! This can really, really vary. I would say that on average, my family of four can spend about $150 - $200 a day and that allows for one nice meal, other walk-up meals and snacks, drinks etc. Last year we told the kids that there would be no souvenir shopping durign our time in the parks, but rather, on our last day, e gave them as much time as they wanted in the World of Disney store at DD. Spent less money and didn't waste as much time in the shops in the parks!

There. Mostly opinions from experience... as I said, enjoy the plannnig and have fun!

As a single mom, I am always on a budget when we visit WDW. Take advantage of the mini fridge (standard in most rooms now) and stop at the local Winn Dixie and get bottled water and drinks. The drinks will kill you $$$ wise. We even got milk and cereal and ate a bowl of cereal before hitting the parks and saved our $$ for a nice, hearty lunch. :banana:

Yes, spring break is crazy so have a plan. Read ahead and know your "must do and see" list and focus on that. It's so easy to get overwhelmed with the "we have to do everything" craze. I HIGHLY recommend Blizzard Beach - it's actually our favorite memory of each trip. BUT REAPPLY SUNSCREEN OFTEN! :sunny:

Good luck and best wishes for a magical trip! :hourglass

1. Someone told me they went during Spring Break several years ago and it was so crowded at the parks that they put up "At full capacity" signs and was not allowing anyone else to enter? Should I worry about that?
only if you are not staying on site.

2. Should I get the dining plan? We're not BIG eaters but like to drink (I know- alcohol isn't included) and I don't have a problem spending money on food. (I worked 12 years in the restaurant business so I like food!) I won't be wasting time packing snack food in the park because for me- it's easier to pay for a sanck then lug it around all day. So- yes or no on the dining plan? I think yes...because you could still split some meals and cover your breakfasts with the extra CS...and take the snacks to go

3. Staying at POR. ant first timer tips for this place? best transportation? My 1st time onsite was at POR too, try to use the bus near the Main building if you are close, but we had a great time there...we were near building 15, so we were close to everything.

4. Should I take advantage of the EMH for not? Is it busier at those parks on those days? I take advantage of the late hours...yes at 2:30 am my boys who were 6 yo were riding Splash...we are not morning people ...only exception is for AK...we got up early an went on the Safari.

5. We are staying 4 nights. Should I add the waterpark option? Will I have enough time to fit it all in? I personally would say skip it...but your oldest might enjoy it, are your younger ones strong swimmers, or would you be having to watch them every minute? The pool at POR is fun for the younger ones and you can pool hop over to POFQ too.

6. Has anyone tried out an iteniary service out? Such as Tour Guide Mike online. He says "My vacation planning techniques, attraction & entertainment advice, and Sample Park Tours are not available anywhere else." Is it worth it and does it work? See- my DH really doesn't want to go so I have to make this a really good trip so I don't want to spend alot of wasted time in lines and just not sure where to go and what to do on any given day. Can you help?
No but people rave about it...or you could do it your self
7. After checking out on the last day- I would like to head to the beach. What beach (we are heading north) should we go to?

8. How long should I expect to wait in line to meet a character? We don't...we go to a Character breakfast and have them come to us....I think 5 minutes tops

9. What is the weather like then? What should I pack- any sweatshirts or jeans? What do we do if it rains?LAst year end of March was great...I think it rained lightly 2 times for a short period. I would always suggest bring a sweat shirt and a pair of jeans, but most of my wardrobe was capris and shorts, and a light sweater for early morning or evenings

10. How much spending money should I bring? (I'm on a budget!) If you are not including the dinning plan, then $150 per day ...on dining I would hold an extra $50 a day for souvies, and meals not covered etc. but check out www.allearsnet.com for the menu's to decide about money and dining plan.

Any other first timer tips would be helpful.
I always suggest people should go to the disney website and see the rides ...make a list of must do's for everyone...then when you get there you know where you need to get FP or wait on line. I think it ruins a trip when you really want to ride TOT and skip over it because time won't allow. Remember to take breaks...I think your older son would really like some of the arcades or DQ. Also for your younger children get glow in the dark necklaces...at the end of MArch you would be suprised how many people walk around without looking in front of themselves at night, children are easier to be seen.
Good Luck Have a great trip...plan your dining and make ADR's if you haven't done so already. LAst year we saw tons of people being turned away...but we also really enjoy sitting down and dining(but we also go for a week-10 days..so we are not really in a rush. :thumbsup2

I'd say yes on the dining plan- especially if you want to eat at table service restaurants... We're doing that in May and after looking over what we've spent on previous trips, I am sooooo excited about the dining plan option- it really is a money saver, although most people will probably be hard pressed to eat that much food.

Staying on site gaurantees entrance to the parks even at full capacity.

Don't try to do it all. You couldn't in a month. Skip the water parks. I'd take one day for each park then the 5th day to go back and do the favorite. Pick your "must-sees" and go from there.

Never tried an itenerary service, but if costs $$, I never will. I invest in the PassPorter, which is a guidebook that I just love. Everything you need to know about the world, and there is space in the back to make notes and journal about your trip.

Have fun!! Relax! You're on vacation!!

P.S.- My husband didn't want to go the first time either, then he suggested we go back for our honeymoon, and now we're going in May for Star Wars Weekends. Who knew?

I would like to add that the character breakfasts are really the way to go to see the characters. On our first trip our daughter was 4. We waited patiently in line for characters as we watched other parents push their kids up front. It is so much better to have the interaction with the characters at a breakfast.

Have a great time!

I had used The Unofficial Guide to Disney and it worked quite well. You can get a look at the crowd levels and best parks and parks to avoid on certain days. Go to Touring Plans I would not go to any park that has EMH as they tend to be more crowded. Unless it was that important, I would skip the water parks and concentrate on the 4 theme parks.
That is my humble opinion.

Recommend a great web site that answers alot of questions, shows alot of picture, reviews, menus, YOU NAME It - check out WWW.WDWIG.COM - It's been a main source for me.

I'm going with just my 8 yr old 3/10-3/14. Our whole family went last March, 4 of us, and we budgeted about $150 a day for food. We usually do one sit down, "nice", meal per day and this $$ works for us. Some days it's a little more, some less. With my son I have been getting him, along with family members, Disney Dollars. When we go I divide the amount he's saved by the days we are there and let him have a set amount each day. He can save for the next day or borrow and this prevents him from bugging me in every store that is at the end of every ride! He also uses it for snacks, drinks, etc. I have learned though that if you see something you REALLY want get it when you see it. I have forgotten which store I originally saw something at or it has sold out, etc. Have it sent to your hotel or the front of the park if you don't want to carry it.
My son has about $200 dollars saved with an additional $15 I have for the next 3 weeks of allowance!!!!! Can't wait to go!!!!

The dining plan...yes if your 12 yo eats a lot of foods... you will have to pay adult prices for him whereas he may be able to eat cheaper off the menu w/o the plan...for the 5 of us it is a GREAT deal!!! Definitely worth it for adults and 7 and 4 yo!! for sure!!!

water parks with 4 days not enough time IMO!! We had only 4 days and barely saw all we wanted in SLOW season!!

I will say you can save up credits and use them for breakfasts if you are not big eaters...all credits are pooled, therefore if you and sh share some meals or the kids do, you can save a CS or TS for breakfast, have a snack then a dinner, you do not neccessarily need three meals at WDW in my opionion as a non big eating family!! :)

I found taking crystal lights to go packs and making that for drink to save snack credits for actual food not drink helped with the food budget, sometimes we would have only an ice cream for a mid afternoon meal!! Yummy!!!

If you are doing ANY character meals then dining plan will save you $$ for sure!!!! It is a hassle free way to have prepaid meals IMO one last thing to have to worry about paying for in cash or on room charges!!! It will all be paid for before arrival!!

As far as EMH we stayed away because crowds and early mornings do not go well for us!! It worked....
we did go one LATE night at MK but we were there in low season...in March I am willing to bet a lot of school aged teens are at EMH,especially at nights...EMH mornings might be better for families during spring break

If you are onsite you are guaranteed park entry!!

characters....HMMMM....some lines are forever and some are short...I prefer the short ones...maybe my autograph book is not full but...Oh well!!! I just find the less popular ones and go!!! :lmao:
HTH some!!

have a GREAT TIME!! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter