First Trip for Granddaughter

dhgifford

Earning My Ears
Hi all

I am taking my 11-year-old granddaughter to DLR for her first time Aug 6-1o. We are staying at the GCH. It has been almost ten years since I have been to DL myself.

She's still kind of in between being a "kid" and being a "preteen." Any suggestions on which attractions we can't miss? We have parkhopper tickets and basically have three full days plus whatever time we have Sunday after we get settled into the hotel which should be by about 3 PM.

We do have reservations for the balcony for Fantasmic on Monday.

Is Early Entry worth it or are the Fantasyland rides too kiddish for an eleven year old? (*sob* I LIKE some of those rides but this is her reward trip for all A's so.....................) What about the Early Toontown Entry? Again, is it worth it for her age?

I took my niece when she was 12 and she liked both the Fantasyland rides and the bigger thrill type rides. At first she was scared to go on things like California Screamin, but she decided on her own to try it and then loved it. She also liked Toontown, though she was trying to be cool about it. The only thing she didn't like was when they sang happy birthday to her at Goofy's Kitchen. That was too embarassing for her, but I enjoyed it!

My dd is 10 going on 14, seriously one of the CMs at TOT asked if she was a seventh grader, and her favorite ride was the tea cups in Fantasyland. EE is great I would try all the Fantasyland rides at least once, well at least the "dark rides" and the teacups, plus the Matterhorn is open. I think parts of Tomorrowland are also open for EE, I hope so for our next trip.

I personally would skip Mickey's Morning Madness as I've heard it is exactly that, madness with the stroller brigade. We did Toontown on a non madness day, we were over by the gates for opening, and us and about 15 other people went in. It was great exploring Toontown when it was basically empty. Mickey and Minnie were in front of their houses with no lines! It is very little kiddish, and I doubt my kids will feel the need to go back there in November, but it was fun to see it. They were totally into the area, and didn't think they were to "cool" for it, it just doesn't have much for those over the age of 6 or 7.

Fantasmic on the balcony will be a great treat, we did the riverside seating when we went. If your grandaughter likes Splash Mountain a great time to ride it is during Fantasmic on the nights you are not watching it. We walked on the ride 5 times in a row, and we got great glimpses of Fantasmic as we went over the large drop.

We did one character breakfast Chip and Dale's at Storytellars, the food was great, but I don't think my kids need to do that again. The characters were fun, but I much prefered the random meetings and pics. inside the parks. Plus that was the one place my dd seemed to think she was a little "to old" for. Though she has asked about Ariel's Grotto for next time even though she is not into the Princesses. So perhaps ask your grandaughter about that one?

Downtown Disney- My dd loved Build-a-Bear and Libby Lu in DTD, she skipped the up do make-ove at Libby Lu in favor of a hair wrap at Universal, but she did get her second hole in her ear done and make some perfume and other stuff there. Also the game room at ESPNzone was a big hit with my kids.

Have a great trip, I can't wait to hear about your experience at the GC, that's where we are staying for our Halloween trip!

That is really useful information. My granddaughter will love the scary rides. She goes on them at the amusement park in Pittsburgh (can't remember the name). I think she will like Fantasyland, too, especially if there are others there about her age and it sounds like there will be.

Another thing about Toon Town is it has Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin. That is definately a fun ride that she will probably like. I agree with skipping the morning madness, but don't skip Toon Town.

dhgifford said:
Hi all

I am taking my 11-year-old granddaughter to DLR for her first time Aug 6-1o. We are staying at the GCH. It has been almost ten years since I have been to DL myself.

She's still kind of in between being a "kid" and being a "preteen." Any suggestions on which attractions we can't miss? We have parkhopper tickets and basically have three full days plus whatever time we have Sunday after we get settled into the hotel which should be by about 3 PM.

We do have reservations for the balcony for Fantasmic on Monday.

Is Early Entry worth it or are the Fantasyland rides too kiddish for an eleven year old? (*sob* I LIKE some of those rides but this is her reward trip for all A's so.....................) What about the Early Toontown Entry? Again, is it worth it for her age?

I took my oldest son to DL for the first time (had been to WDW many times) when he was 11 and he loved all of it, including Fantasyland and Toontown. I would definitely do an early entry morning to get the Fantasyland rides done without long lines. As for the Toontown Morning Madness, she might not be interested in the little show they do, but we were able to ride Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin 3x without getting off because there was no line, everyone was at the ceremony, so it might be worth going in for that.

Definitely do not miss Soarin' over at CA, that ride is awesome! Have a wonderful time!

EE is totally worht it! Our older two 9 and 11 went with my mom to the ride Space Mountain, Buzz and I think Matterhorn Bobsleds, while we took the little ones to Fantasyland. These rides are part of EE. She should go on some of the classics though too! Toontown in my opinion is not to exciting. Our older two could definetely live without it!

I am 13 and almost 14 and I LOVE the FL dark rides. Peter Pan is the best one and the most crowded so, yes, do the EE. Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, and Snow White and all very dark and can be quite scary for younger kids so by her age she won't get as scared hopefully. Most of the rides she will enjoy maybe not Casey Jr. or Tarzan's Treehouse but rides like Pirates and Haunted Mansion are GREAT!

At DCA she will love Soarin, Grizzly River Run and Tower of Terror. Also if she like the FL dark rides you should check out the Monster's Inc. ride. I would advise you to skip the Sun Wheel unless it is a major priority because the lines are long for a ride that is, simply, not worth it.

This has been so useful. I am planning on EE but probably skipping the Toontown thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter