First time cruiser needing camera/photo advice

J. Thaddeus Toad Esq.

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are leaving the kiddos at home and taking a four night cruise on the Dream for our 10th anniversary.

This will our first cruise and I am wondering how much I can expect to use my DSLR. I don’t want to have it with me at times but I’m sure I’ll take maybe a couple hours a day to capture some memories for the photo book.

Also, I’m curious about how many “photo pass” type photos we expect while on the cruise and Castaway.

Thanks in advance!

I guess how much you plan to use your DSLR is up to you. The ship is gorgeous so there is always something to take a picture of. You could constantly have something to take photos of: each activity you do, all the food you eat, characters, etc. How much you want to haul it around is up to you. I've found that unless I'm specifically going out to "take pictures" that a point and shoot does the job. Cell phone cameras these days are awesome and for the photo book do just fine. We try to balance taking some pictures with just enjoying the moment and being there. Our memories are always better then any picture we'll ever take. I am always shocked at how many people spend their entire cruise video/camera the whole thing.

As for photo pass type photographers they are generally around with character meet and greets, and the background set ups on each cruise. Unless you purchased a photo package it's going to run you around $20USD per photo. There is almost always a cruise staff around more then willing to use your camera to take a picture as well. And most of your fellow passengers are more then willing to help out and snap a photo. Don't "plan" on an official photographers everywhere though. We went to a character breakfast and were VERY glad to have table mates to swap taking group photos of the characters with. No staff following them around at our breakfast.

If you love photography, it will never be a hassle. :-) There are many things around the ship (and on the islands) to photograph, not to mention sunrises and sunsets! There are many opportunities for professional photos being taken - with characters, at dinner, on Castaway Cay, in the Atrium with ship or other background, etc. It's up to you how many you want to have taken. We bought the unlimited photo package our last 2 cruises because we had so many taken. It was worth it for us.

I'm not a photographer so can't really comment on the part about your camera, but I did a 4 day last summer and bought the picture package (all digitals) and only got about 40 photos. It was a good deal in comparison to paying $20 per picture, however I probably wouldn't have bought more than 5 of them were it not for the package, as they were mostly character photos that I taken similar shot of with my phone. So for me, the 4 day package wasn't a good fit for that cruise. However, I have bought the all digital package for the 7 day cruise and wound up with over 200 photos, and that was well worth it. It really depends on how many photo-ops you take advantage of. There were photographers at Port, the character meets (on Castaway as well as the ship), pirate night and I think one of the dinners. I didn't really see them anywhere else. Hope that helps!

We get a ton of great photos from our cruises just using our phone. The picture package isn't worth it for us, when we get so many good pics ourselves. And we're not even the types who tend to take tons of pictures everywhere. Everything is beautiful on the ships and CC, so it's hard not to get good pics.

I always bring my DSLR camera on all our vacations. Unfortunately the one I have used for years is in need of repairs; that will cost more than if I buy it used. I have a reason to upgrade now!
DCL ships are beautiful with plenty of picture opportunities, characters are always roaming the ship, get up early in the morning before everyone else to get nice shots of the ship, get great pictures of the ship at night all lit up, CC is a fun place to take your camera and don't forget all the ports of call. I never regret hauling my camera and gear around.

Another vote for the DSLR, for the same reasons as previous posters have stated. If you have a tripod, bring it - you'll be able to get some very cool fireworks photos (see this link for examples https://flic.kr/s/aHskGN7W5f ). I usually bring the DSLR, multiple lenses and tripod, plus my underwater point & shoot for snorkeling. I probably average 80-100 shots per day. Better to have it and not use it than to say "gee I wish I had brought it..."

I am bringing mine...I always do!!! I will be embarking on my 40th DCL cruise this Sunday and I still take pictures all around the ship. There is just something about the beauty and elegance of the ship that I love to capture. I often get up really early or stay up really late and roam the ship inside and out to take pics with no one else around to be in the background. My husband laughs and asks if the DCL logo on the funnel has changed since last time we cruised (October) as I always seem to take a few shots of that LOL! I have tons of duplicate pics from our many cruises....you will see....it is addicting!!!

Same with Magic Kingdom.....I must have hundreds of pics of the Castle....I always take pics of it each visit.

MJ

Another vote for the DSLR, for the same reasons as previous posters have stated. If you have a tripod, bring it - you'll be able to get some very cool fireworks photos (see this link for examples https://flic.kr/s/aHskGN7W5f ). I usually bring the DSLR, multiple lenses and tripod, plus my underwater point & shoot for snorkeling. I probably average 80-100 shots per day. Better to have it and not use it than to say "gee I wish I had brought it..."

I always bring my DSLR on vacations. On our Alaska cruise there were a couple ports of call that it looked like rain so I left it in the stateroom. Needless to say the clouds blew out and there was plenty of sun during our excursions. Everyone on board has me to thank for the sunny day, all because I left my camera behind! At least I had my smart phone, not nearly as fun to use but I didn't miss any shots.

I always bring my DSLR on vacations. On our Alaska cruise there were a couple ports of call that it looked like rain so I left it in the stateroom. Needless to say the clouds blew out and there was plenty of sun during our excursions. Everyone on board has me to thank for the sunny day, all because I left my camera behind! At least I had my smart phone, not nearly as fun to use but I didn't miss any shots.

Ouch. I've had good luck using plastic rain sleeves for my DSLR. I always make sure to have one in my bag - they're really inexpensive on Amazon.

Being from Western Washington, we don't let rain dissuade us from taking our camera. We have a camera bag and/or tuck it under our coat to protect it. It rarely rains hard enough to be a real problem. In some tropical rains it could be a problem though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter