First time ABD - Backstage Magic - June 2018 - looking for advice

Ok, first time going on an ABD - decided to do Backstage Magic. Been to DL 3 times, most recently 3 years ago on way back from Aulani. Go to WDW about 3 times per year, and a Platinum DCL member.

Trying to plan the trip and looking for ideas to extend a day both pre and post trip, since our trip is Sun-Friday, thinking Sat-Sat with the same time off of work. THe end of the trip is easy, as we will have the remaining day of our park pass and will just hang out there and spring for an extra night at GC or DL. Traveling with my DW, and 2 DD’s (age 9-7).

We’re doing BSM in December and we’re doing the VIP experience at a Universal Studios on the Saturday before the trip starts. We’re really excited about it. My friend and I are big Harry Potter fans and want to compare the wizarding worlds, but excited to get the behind the scenes tours, etc.

As someone who lived in LA for 10 years, I'm happy to provide some suggestions. There's so much to do there that it would help to have an idea of your interests in order to narrow it down. Some of my favorite things are:

• The Getty and Getty Villa
  • Venice Beach/Abbott Kinney/Canals
  • Malibu if you're interested in a swimming beach.
  • Griffith Park
  • Eating. LA is one of the best food cities in the world in my own biased opinion. It's a particularly great place for Mexican, sushi, Korean food, and California fusion.
  • The museums near the Miracle Mile
You almost certainly need a rental car if you are going to travel around L.A. on your own. There is public transportation there and it is generally clean and reliable -- but it doesn't really go to that many places.

We will be doing the Universal VIP tour in July. We have three pre night and one post night booked, so we are pretty flexible. Is it better to do the VIP tour on a Friday or a Saturday?

Looked at the VIP experience. Done. Going to book that. I see the price is $329. Does that include admission or is it in addition ?

Looked at the VIP experience. Done. Going to book that. I see the price is $329. Does that include admission or is it in addition ?

Well if you have ever been to Universal in Orlando, you will be disappointed in the Cali version. We too are long time WDW people, several ABDs, Disneyland several times, etc. We are big into the VIP tours. This past summer we took DD18 to CA for senior year trip. We took the plunge on it all - VIP Tour San Deigo ZOO(amazing!!), had a Vip Plaid to ourselves in DCA/DL and did Universal VIP. I was really disappointed in universal vip. It was ok. The food was super but there are not many rides at all to ride there. Orlando in my opinion is far superior.

Well if you have ever been to Universal in Orlando, you will be disappointed in the Cali version. We too are long time WDW people, several ABDs, Disneyland several times, etc. We are big into the VIP tours. This past summer we took DD18 to CA for senior year trip. We took the plunge on it all - VIP Tour San Deigo ZOO(amazing!!), had a Vip Plaid to ourselves in DCA/DL and did Universal VIP. I was really disappointed in universal vip. It was ok. The food was super but there are not many rides at all to ride there. Orlando in my opinion is far superior.
How is the Harry Potter area in California?

Sayhello

Similar to phase 1 in Orlando ...laid out tiny bit different but pretty much same
OK, I've seen that. So I can probably give Universal LA a pass for now. I still haven't seen the expansion in Orlando. Need to get that done. :) Thanks!

Sayhello

Reactions: RSM
OK, I've seen that. So I can probably give Universal LA a pass for now. I still haven't seen the expansion in Orlando. Need to get that done. :) Thanks!

Sayhello

Yes hard pass! Phase 2 amazing. On the VIP in ca we did not even use the front of line privledges we left after tour. Just nothing to do really

I am finalizing plans for our ABD BSM trip for July. Doe anyone know the closest rental car agency to the Hollywood Hotel? I want to rent a car for our two pre adventure days.

Thank you

I am finalizing plans for our ABD BSM trip for July. Doe anyone know the closest rental car agency to the Hollywood Hotel? I want to rent a car for our two pre adventure days.

Thank you

I can help with that! We rented a car through Avis and dropped off at 1333 N. Highland Ave. It’s about 1/2 mile walk back to the hotel.

As @tgeorge said above, the Hertz right in the hotel lobby would be very convenient. I believe the local office code is HLE.

As @tgeorge said above, the Hertz right in the hotel lobby would be very convenient. I believe the local office code is HLE.
There is a Hertz in the Hollywood Hotel. I saw it last month while on our ABD. That may be the easiest

Is there parking for the Hollywood Hotel and is there a fee? If they charge for parking, then single day rentals would be cheaper.

The only down side to the Hertz rental in the Hotel is that they are only open until noon on the weekends. The latest return time you can select is 12 noon.

I wouldn’t think a noon return time on Sunday would be too bad (unless you were looking at doing something further away that day) You can grab you ABD information and explore the surrounding area before you meet for dinner at 5:00.

Maybe they have a late drop off key box?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!