Filming Schedule at Universal

simba_one

"I wash my hands of this weirdness!"
We've purchased Deluxe AP's for Universal Studios Hollywood as we're huge Universal fans - and they were a bargain too!!! :) We've always wanted to do the VIP Tour as well as visiting a few other days because of the benefits you get (esp. during the tour of the backlot, etc.) but have been having a hard time deciding. The main reason we'd want to do it is to get to see more of Colonial Street but obviously due to the constant change in filming schedules it wouldn't be certain we'd get to see it. We'll be visiting in July/August (before filming starts again for Desperate Housewives??) so it's the best time to go?

Just wondering whether anyone could advise me (or provide help in anyway) on which days are the best to choose from to book on a day where you're likely to get to go down Colonial Street. Anyone been on the tour and got to see it? Months, days? I love the Studio Tour so will get to see it either way but being able to actually stand on the pavement of that now iconic street would be amazing!! That and the Psycho house - because I had to study that film for a year and a half at college and watched the movie like 100 times. Seen it already but to stand on the ground would just be an even greater experience.

I e-mailed Universal a few months back now and they said that I'd have to phone USH direct to find out. I did try but never had any luck. I'm desperate to do the VIP Tour but to do it and then not get to go down (not even have the chance - I know it won't be 100% definite even if I do get a good date) Colonial Street would've spoiled the experience a little for me.

If anyone can provide any help that'd be great. I'd really appreciate it. :thumbsup2

I know that filming starts for many shows in August and they try to it during the week. Are you trying to be there on a day that Desparate Housewives is filming or are you trying to avoid that day?

I'm trying to be there on a day that they're not filming (at least not on Colonial Street - a stage is fine?) - that way we'll have more of a chance of getting on Colonial Street. 'Coz if they're using the street then it'll obviously be closed for the day? I remember they were filming Crossing Jordan on the last studio tour we did back in 2004 and we could not go ANYWHERE near where they were filming so going on the VIP Tour on a day they're filming (on Colonial Street at least) will be a waste if that's what we're really going to be doing it for.

I did hear that weekends are the best chance??

According to my brother (who worked on the lot for different shows and movies including Desperate Housewives and War of the Worlds), they are filming something at least everyday. With movies there is no way for sure to know even with a schedule. Sometimes the director wants to do more so they work on the weekends to get more in. Television shows wrap during the summer but in come the movies that get to be worked on. You have to remember that Universal Studios is a "working" lot so you may not get to see everything on the tour that you want. It's a bummer I know but, just think when the movie or show comes out you can say I was at Universal when they were filming that show. We got to say that when we were there and saw everything all set up for Princess Diaries 2.

I know what you mean... we were there when they were filming 'Meet the Fockers' (not the greatest film ever but hey) and that's cool to say. The summer of 2004 they kept saying where Colonial Street was and that it was the setting for a new TV show featuring Teri Hatcher and I was just like oh, OK nice. Little did I know it was going to be such a fantastic show!! And the one time we got to go down Colonial Street (because they were filming on it all the other times we went on the tour) the batteries had run out in my camera. And I was debating whether to run to the store at the park entrance to get new batteries before or after the tour and I went for after so missed out on pics of the street. I regret that decision making SO much now. That's why I want to make up for it this year.

Other areas of the backlot I'm not that fussy on seeing. I'll get to see almost everything the amount of times we plan on going so that's fine. I just really want to get on that street.

So a weekend day (Saturday OR Sunday?) towards the beginning of our trip would be the best? The earliest we could do it would probably be Saturday, August 5. Early enough you think?? We could probably do July 30 at a push. Wouldn't want to as it'd be our first full day, but if it'd get us what we want then I guess we'll have to do it. So I'll get the tickets and ask for a weekend day and hope for the best? Is there any leeway when it comes to the tours does anyone know? Like on the Warner Bros. VIP Tour you can say what you like (I am a Friends addict) and they will try and personalise the tour for you. I think the fact it was my birthday helped too. Thanks for the help so far guys. :thumbsup2

No, they don't personalize it. Their trams are so big and have so many people on it. It's a huge lot and they show you as much as they can.

spazzyjazzy said:
No, they don't personalize it. Their trams are so big and have so many people on it. It's a huge lot and they show you as much as they can.
I meant on the VIP Tour which holds like 15 people and lasts all day (well, not just the tour but everything combined does)...

Does anyone know if Ghost Whisperer is shot at USH?

The little plaza area looks like it could be the same as the clock tower area from back to the future(and many other films/shows).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter