fibromyalgia

I am going by myself to Disney World soon, and thought I'd check out the DISability Board to see if there were any good hints or tips for us fibros. I just wanted to check in with my two cents worth of what has helped me. Good luck to each of you :woohoo:

The only tip I can pass on about going to the parks is: If you're going to ride some of the "rougher" (bumpier, jerky, etc), do them early in the trip!!! I found if I did them the first 2 days, then I was able to maintain thru the rest of the trip. I learned this after a trip last year & I waited to ride Indy at Disneyland on our 2nd to last day. By the afternoon, I could hardly walk & the pain was uncontrollable......because our bodies tire quickly & all the extra standing & walking, I felt I was "run-down" & taking on a ride that really jerks you around, I was unable to bounce back. That's about the only advice I've found crucial while vacationing.
Obvious would be taking rest breaks & eating good & staying hydrated. Hope that helps!

Probably a lifetime of fibro here, but diagnose 14 years ago. Nothing really helped except lots and lots of advil when the pain was worst. last summer, I had an achilles tendon problem and got sent to pt. My feet and ankles improved so much that I said to the doc - why can't they do something like this for my fibro? he sent me back to pt and they put me in the theraputic pool with a set of walking and exercises. When I started I could barely do any. Then i'd have to go home and sleep for two hours. Now, I can do 25 reps of each and carry on for the rest of the day. Do I hurt? Sure. But I go back every other day.

If you don't have access to a nice warm pool, maybe the "core program" will work for you. It helped me for several years, until I could no longer force myself to get down on the floor and do it. The book is the Core Program, by Peggy Brill.

Massage can also do wonders. A certified massage therapist will most likely have experience working with fibro patients.

Just wanted to say welcome. Lyrica is my friend. I have gained weight but I am not in constant pain and can sleep. such a plan....

Greetings, my fellow fibros. I just came back from doing Disney World solo with fibro. I spent quite a bit of time in bed, but I also did get out to the parks some. I mostly watched shows (3 times for Mickey's Philharmagic), and a streetmosphere play, and loved to people watch. Just wanted to say I DID go to Disney World solo, did NOT rent a scooter, and ENJOYED my time in the parks (but not the time in bed in pain). Just a quick shout out that it CAN be done and enjoyed. :thumbsup2 Just REALLY watch your energy, and at the cusp of feeling the energy running out - that's the time to use the rest of the energy to get out of the park, to your transportation (I used Disney transportation) and into your hotel room bed. I also had food in the room for when I couldn't leave the room - I liked those big blueberry muffins. Yum! My motto for fibro is: I WILL NOT LET IT STOP ME. I WILL NOT LET IT DEFINE ME. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter