Few BCV Listings

If DVC added and managed as a "perk" an exchange program where you could put your home resort points into the exchange and book from avail points in the exchange, starting at 10 months out, they'd thump both the resale and rental markets in one shot.

Why rent out my points when I can sell them or use them to maximize home resort priority?

All they'd need do is add a few rules like member must be on reservation.
Don't see how that would be much different from the current system. More SSR, OKW, AKV owners would put their points into the pool than would owners of BCV, BWV, VGF, etc. It would just move the booking competition at 7 month to 10 months. As an owner at BWV, I'd just keep booking at 11 months like I do now and forego occasionally staying elsewhere.

Don't see how that would be much different from the current system. More SSR, OKW, AKV owners would put their points into the pool than would owners of BCV, BWV, VGF, etc. It would just move the booking competition at 7 month to 10 months. As an owner at BWV, I'd just keep booking at 11 months like I do now and forego occasionally staying elsewhere.

I think his point is that the SSR folks would be completely screwed in this scenario since the premium resorts (BCV, VGF, VGC, BWV) would be trading amongst themselves. The SSR, OKW, and AKV might put their points in the pool, but if no one trades with them, then they wouldn't benefit. The only way people would trade is if the SSR owners would be willing to accept a lower amount of premium points.

I tend to think this is why DVD won't do it. Neither OKW or SSR was sold as a lesser property, and while 7 month booking and the rental property designate both as "maybe not people's first choice, eh" that's different than DVD setting up an exchange that supports that.

The suggested system would just add another priority window for owners of highly coveted resorts. But it could be detrimental for DVC: when a new resort is selling it's not difficult to book there (because more points are declared than sold and declarations open more inventory clearing WL) so people who buy a new resort paying the premium wouldn't be able to take advantage of this exchange or could only find less coveted resorts. You don't upset your customers right after they've bought.

The suggested system would just add another priority window for owners of highly coveted resorts. But it could be detrimental for DVC: when a new resort is selling it's not difficult to book there (because more points are declared than sold and declarations open more inventory clearing WL) so people who buy a new resort paying the premium wouldn't be able to take advantage of this exchange or could only find less coveted resorts. You don't upset your customers right after they've bought.
Meanwhile, the free market for rental tends to be excited about new resorts. Or, at least, has been the last handful.

I am looking multiple times a day I am looking for roughly 100pt contract with a Sept Or Oct UY its becoming very hard. hoping something comes out soon.

That is going to be a very difficult contract to find. The minimum during active sales at BCV was 150, so contracts for less than that are add ons. Most add ons were for a smaller number of points. Add on that you want a specific use year, and you may wait years for someone with that contract to decide to sell it. I'd encourage you to be more flexible. Look for 150 points - you'll find more availability. Open up to other use years.

Functionally, a lot of SSR/OKW/VAKL points would be put in at eleven months, and the BCV/BWV/VGF/VGC/etc. points that were deposited would be snapped up immediately - and probably by people with "good" points to trade. i.e. if you have VGC points, you won't have trouble finding a trade into BCV for F&W, but if you have VAKL points, you are in the same boat you've always been in. Additionally, those that place points out for trade for F&W at eleven months will add to the home resort booking problem there - it the HHI problem - if you sell points for a resort year round, but one part of the year has much higher demand, you have an issue. BWV/BCV doesn't need additional demand between 11-7 months during Fall Frenzy.

And it wouldn't kill the rental market, since a lot of DVCers are renting their points because they aren't going to Disney. If I'm renting out my BWV points it won't be because I want to stay at VGF - its because I'm spending this vacation time in Europe. Trading out my points with another DVCer does me little good in London.

Yes. But instead of those points flooding the market at the 7 month window, the excess of the larger resorts would essentially become CRO points at 7 months.

If managed right, DVC could use such a program to take pressure off the 7 month window. They could pocket points from the larger resorts at 7 months and use them CRO.

If managed right, DVC could use such a program to take pressure off of Fall Frenzy. Or in any number of ways. For example, they could use those points to create a "free dining" type program that ties up tons of those points/rooms during DVC off season. In fact, if DVC were using those points as CRO during DVC "off season", they might not have to discount them at all. DVC "off season" tends to be WDW prime season.

Ultimately, the bid/ask spread will create avail at 10 months. If it cost you the equivalent of $18/point to acquire points you must tender at $14/point, there's going to be a surplus of points in the exchange. The 100 point Poly reservation requires a 129 point BWV deposit. Even if the prime trades are between prime resorts, the people trading are deposited excess points that can be eventually soaked up by the larger resorts.

Even if DVC rented those AKV/OKW/SSR rooms CRO at a 50% discount after the 7 month window starts, that'd be income for them because of how cheaply they acquired the points vs their standard CRO. Plus, if they succeeded in destroying the rental market, they wouldn't have competition at these resorts.

Even if the misbalance were high between the large resorts and the small ones, DVC could tweak that, too. The brokers already do sonething similar: SSR, AKV, and OKW are worth less exchanging value; it takes more of those points to trade into a smaller resort than a lateral trade between smaller resorts. That's actually the beauty of such a program. It'd allow points to be highly managed ahead of the 7 month window and could be used to significantly ease up the current pressure there.

Last edited:
We tried to buy a BCV Aug 170 points this past April but DVD ROFR'd it. We had a hard time finding August in anything but BRV, so we bought there instead. Got 220 points for a lot less money. It closed this week, and we are just waiting for Member Services to load the points. We are going to try to stay at BCV with those points in March. We book 1-bedrooms, so they are easier to get at 7 months.

Last edited:
Over the life of your contract, your home resort will impact you far more than your use year. Your home resort impacts the dues you pay and where you can book during the priority window. Your use year only impacts if you need to cancel a reservation and how much use is left in those points. If you are going to cancel a lot, timeshares aren't a good choice to start with. Over the life of a contract, your preferred travel time is likely to change - especially if you are young and have (or intend to have) kids (which throw so many wrenches in you life plans you can't imagine it if you are child free - vacation timing probably being among the smallest). If I needed to compromise on a resale purchase, use year would be the first compromise I'd make - before home resort, number of points or price.

Over the life of your contract, your home resort will impact you far more than your use year. Your home resort impacts the dues you pay and where you can book during the priority window. Your use year only impacts if you need to cancel a reservation and how much use is left in those points. If you are going to cancel a lot, timeshares aren't a good choice to start with. Over the life of a contract, your preferred travel time is likely to change - especially if you are young and have (or intend to have) kids (which throw so many wrenches in you life plans you can't imagine it if you are child free - vacation timing probably being among the smallest). If I needed to compromise on a resale purchase, use year would be the first compromise I'd make - before home resort, number of points or price.

Agreed. I think people pay far too much attention to UY. With that said, I would likely be willing to pay a $5 to $8 per point premium to match an existing UY if it's the same resort I already have.

That is what I did. I couldn't find 100pt at BWV for the UY I wanted at a reasonable price, so I compromised on UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!