Falmouth Jamaica Excursion Questions

Love2Cruise2015

DIS Veteran
My family and I are trying to decide whether to go on the Deluxe Jewel Beach Break or The Dunn's River Falls Express with Lunch. I was wondering if anyone who has done those excursions could give us some advice on what they liked or didn't like about the excursion? (for those who have done the Dunn's River Falls, how was the lunch provided?)

My family and I are trying to decide whether to go on the Deluxe Jewel Beach Break or The Dunn's River Falls Express with Lunch. I was wondering if anyone who has done those excursions could give us some advice on what they liked or didn't like about the excursion? (for those who have done the Dunn's River Falls, how was the lunch provided?)
Dunn's River Falls is amazing. Just be prepared to hike up the falls in the water and can be a little challenging at times, but is so worth it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. They also video your whole excursion so you have memories of it.

I was just looking at those same excursions for our March cruise. I saw that the travel time to many of the all-inclusive places was 45 min or so, with a departure time of 2 hr prior to the ship leaving the port. Has anyone gone on the Jewel Beach break that could tell me if there was enough time to get a full day's worth of enjoyment?

The timing of the day pass and our arrival/departure + travel time + general security concerns kinda tells me to stay close to the ship

We did the Dunns River Falls last Friday! We did the express and not the lunch. But our driver and guide took orders for jerk chicken and we ate on the way back to port. I don't know if every guide would offer this as it was our first. We had a great time at the Falls. It was a little challenging but worth it. We used a waterproof holder for our cell phone and was able to take photos on the way up the waterfall. We were back to the port by 2pm and hung out at Margaritaville afterwards. Their pool was nicer than the pool on board. So if you did not get lunch you could eat there before returning to ship.

We did the Dunns River Falls last Friday! We did the express and not the lunch. But our driver and guide took orders for jerk chicken and we ate on the way back to port. I don't know if every guide would offer this as it was our first. We had a great time at the Falls. It was a little challenging but worth it. We used a waterproof holder for our cell phone and was able to take photos on the way up the waterfall. We were back to the port by 2pm and hung out at Margaritaville afterwards. Their pool was nicer than the pool on board. So if you did not get lunch you could eat there before returning to ship.
If you don't mind me asking what time was this excursion offered? How much did your lunch cost if you didn't purchase it with the excursion? Would you do this excursion again? Thank you for your help :)

Do you know what the age minimum was for climbing the falls? My son will only be 4, and I imagine he won't be old enough. (My MIL will likely want to stay at the bottom with him anyway, is that an option? Do you come back down near the same spot you go up?)

Thanks.

Do you know what the age minimum was for climbing the falls? My son will only be 4, and I imagine he won't be old enough. (My MIL will likely want to stay at the bottom with him anyway, is that an option? Do you come back down near the same spot you go up?)

Thanks.

I don't know the official age cutoff, but my guess is 4 won't make it. But good news! If you MIL is willing to stay with your son, not only can they see you at the bottom, they can follow you all the way up! There is a wooden staircase and several viewing platforms that correspond with the "pools" at various stages on the way up. So they can watch you all the way to the top, and your MIL can take pictures. My brother-in-law didn't want to do the climb of the falls, so he took the stairs. He could see us most of the time and take pictures. They would have let him enter the pools with us at each place if he wanted (he didn't), but I'm not sure if they'd let a 4YO enter the pools or not.

When you get to the top, you will all be together. Even if wooden stairs are too much for your MIL, there is a paved path that links the bottom and the top of the falls.

Have fun!

We have not done the falls primarily because of concerns about our youngest DS (4 and 6 at the time) not being able to climb the falls safely. We did the Jewel Beach Break last summer and two years ago. It is an all inclusive resort with a water park (two biggish water slides) and large splash area for younger kids and lazy river. Grill type food (burgers, fries etc) and drinks (including alcoholic) drinks are included and available at the water park area. There is a large buffet and sit down restaurant next to the large main pool. There is also an adults only pool. Very large, clean beach with watercraft available to rent. You can also snorkel from the beach- water is beautiful and clear. The snorkeling here was better than at castaway cay. We brought our own gear but you probably can rent gear too. The resort was clean and safe. Plenty to do. The first time we went they were doing a Miss Jamaica photo shoot at the resort. I noticed it looked a little more weathered the last time we were there but nothing new paint couldn’t fix. Would recommend if you have young kids.

We are trying resortforaday at the Hilton Rose Hall. sounds Interesting

We did Hilton Rose Hall in Oct. 2013 and really liked it. I would go there again. I did not like the transportation going or coming back but I liked the resort once we were there. Have fun!

We did Dunn's River Falls. The only thing that annoyed us a bit about it was that the excursion information gave you little details on what you needed. We saw a video on YouTube just before we left home which showed people in the pools but not climbing up through the falls (we didn't even know that you actually went into the water other than the pools optionally; until we saw the video we just thought you went to a waterfall for the views and climbed up alongside). So we were still a little uncertain about what we should wear. At the last minute that morning before heading down to meet the excursion guides, we decided to put on bathing suits under our clothes and took our water shoes. Good call. But there was actually nothing about wearing bathing suits or needing water shoes (you absolutely need them) or anything in the excursion information. Other than that, it was fantastic. Great guides and we got the DVD of the video. I'd do it again.

Our tour then went on to the bobsledding where lunch was included so I can't comment on any lunch at Dunn's River or purchased separately. I'd do the bobsleds again too. What a blast.

We wore lightweight pants over our bathing suits (linen for me, khakis for DH) and a swim shirt so we just took off our shoes, put on water shoes and took our pants off and left the extra clothes in the bus. I was worried that we'd be uncomfortable after Dunn's with a wet swim shirt and pants if there was nowhere to change but it was so hot I was glad of the dampness and they dried off very quickly. I think that some people might have changed in the washrooms after Dunn's but it's not really necessary. We were there in December so if it's that warm then, it will be much warmer at other times of the year. Just remember to reapply sunscreen afterwards because there will be no part of you that hasn't been inundated with water.

Anyone know how much the video was, do they take credit cards or cash? And do they take pics we could buy? Or should we take the water camera?

We did the Dunn's River Falls in August 2016 (I was with my 64 years old mum, my 11 years old son and my 7 years old girl.) Age restriction is 6 years old and up, height restriction 36 inches minimum. We could climb the falls and we all loved it. Guides were great and since my daughter was super tiny barely cutting the height restriction she was the first up in line with the leading guide always taking her by the hand and focusing on her not to take any risk. We had a blast and it was our favorite excursion of all. They make you get a rest every while by taking fun pics of you in different "adventurous situations" (trying a mini slide, let yourself fall backwards in a natural pool, putting your head behind the waterfall, etc.) if you want to. When you reach the top of the falls you really get this great sense of accomplishment. We went with water shoes and it was good but it would have been better to go with sport shoes like the other parties did.
The video was 40 dollars. I paid in cash. Frankly the video was great with pics inside: we really love to watch it as it is a great memory. It is a video for the whole group so you see the other parties as well but they truly concentrate on everyone and no one is left out. But you can also take a water camera or a camera/i-phone in a waterproof case. The guides even propose to take pics of your party with your camera so you can be all together.
We didn't feel harassed by the sellers when we got out from the falls. Of course they ask you if you are interested in anything but when we said no, they did not insist like crazy. I even stopped at one seller because I wanted a magnet from the falls and I got one for 3 (or 4) dollars without any pressure to pay more or buy something else.

Oh boy, I do NOT like being in a swimsuit, :crazy2:. I did not even think about being in a swimwear for this excursion... DUH WATERFALL.... hmmmmm.....

I watched a video on YouTube and it looks pretty exciting, obviously the 4 year old wouldn't be able to do it and I know with my MIL's ankle, she wouldn't either. Lots to talk and think about...

Oh boy, I do NOT like being in a swimsuit, :crazy2:. I did not even think about being in a swimwear for this excursion... DUH WATERFALL.... hmmmmm.....

I watched a video on YouTube and it looks pretty exciting, obviously the 4 year old wouldn't be able to do it and I know with my MIL's ankle, she wouldn't either. Lots to talk and think about...

What about wearing board shirts and a long sleeve rash guard? Whatever you wear, my advice would be to not pick anything nice or new, same for your shoes. Some family piled about a dozen pairs of shoes into the Wonder’s washing machine and they were full of mud and dirt...I am assuming they were at the Falls that day, but maybe not.

If you don't mind me asking what time was this excursion offered? How much did your lunch cost if you didn't purchase it with the excursion? Would you do this excursion again? Thank you for your help :)
The excursion meeting time was 8:30 am on the ship. We were on the bus driving to the falls by 9am. They asked for $5 for a chicken leg/thigh, rice and beans. We loved the excursion. The falls was amazing and while hard to climb in spots definitely worth it. The ride over and history of the country was good also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter