Fake service animal owners may face jail time with new law

And what if someone shows up with *four* dogs? Because after THREE DOGS is FOUR, and after FOUR is FIVE - and if we continue *that* progression, it's not going to be long before we have people showing up with a half dozen dogs, none of them on leashes, and demanding that they all be let in because they are service animals.

This is the image that popped into my head. Just replace the sled with a wheelchair or ECV.

dachshund+rudolph+red+nose.jpg

I am *not* trying to be that person, but will someone please explain to me why you would need 3 small dogs as Service Dog(s)? I presume (and this is truly speculation on my part, I wasn't there, didn't talk to the woman, so...) that the lap dog is being presented as an emotional support animal companion.

But what about the other two? Does each one "alert" for a different condition? How is this allowable? What is a reasonable limit on support animals? Who cares for three animals if/when she is participating in an attraction? What if one of those dogs next to her feet jumps off and runs away, because it is startled, or because... dog reasons, or what if - worst case scenario - there is an accident, and one of the "floor dogs" (and/or the lap dog) is injured because it wasn't properly restrained and/or on a leash as is expected with a Service Dog?

So. Many. Questions.

And what if someone shows up with *four* dogs? Because after THREE DOGS is FOUR, and after FOUR is FIVE - and if we continue *that* progression, it's not going to be long before we have people showing up with a half dozen dogs, none of them on leashes, and demanding that they all be let in because they are service animals.

:::smh:::

I understand the need for Service Dogs, and I can (mostly) get on board with emotional support animals. (I'm sorry, but I have a hard time anyone presents an emotional support animal that is riding in a pink baby stroller that cost more than my first car) But I believe that a limit needs to be firmly set - what that limit is, where it's upper boundary should be - is not my decision to make. But I feel like the number 2 might be a great place to land.
My understanding is that technically they only have to allow one service animal per person and I say service animal because that can be a dog or a miniature horse and just once I want to see someone with a service miniature horse in the parks, but that is another topic all together.

My understanding is that technically they only have to allow one service animal per person and I say service animal because that can be a dog or a miniature horse and just once I want to see someone with a service miniature horse in the parks, but that is another topic all together.

As long as it doesn't poop right in front of me...

I would think that in public all dogs need to be on a leash if the town has a leash law? If WDW is not considered public property, shouldn't they make it a rule that all dogs need to be leashed? Shouldn't service dogs be leashed (or at least have the harness with the handle) while they are working?

As long as it doesn't poop right in front of me...

I would think that in public all dogs need to be on a leash if the town has a leash law? If WDW is not considered public property, shouldn't they make it a rule that all dogs need to be leashed? Shouldn't service dogs be leashed (or at least have the harness with the handle) while they are working?
Service Animals must be on a leash (although I suspect a harness would be ok as well) at all times in public. Of course this would not apply to areas where dogs are permitted off leash in general, say at a dog park.

As for relieving themselves, there are officially designated areas, but since they are often blocked by queues, parades, etc., the officially unofficial rule is that they can use anywhere there is grass with an operable gate that is not locked, at least that is how it works at Disneyland.

I am *not* trying to be that person, but will someone please explain to me why you would need 3 small dogs as Service Dog(s)? I presume (and this is truly speculation on my part, I wasn't there, didn't talk to the woman, so...) that the lap dog is being presented as an emotional support animal companion.

But what about the other two? Does each one "alert" for a different condition? How is this allowable? What is a reasonable limit on support animals? Who cares for three animals if/when she is participating in an attraction? What if one of those dogs next to her feet jumps off and runs away, because it is startled, or because... dog reasons, or what if - worst case scenario - there is an accident, and one of the "floor dogs" (and/or the lap dog) is injured because it wasn't properly restrained and/or on a leash as is expected with a Service Dog?

So. Many. Questions.

:::smh:::

I understand the need for Service Dogs, and I can (mostly) get on board with emotional support animals. (I'm sorry, but I have a hard time anyone presents an emotional support animal that is riding in a pink baby stroller that cost more than my first car) But I believe that a limit needs to be firmly set - what that limit is, where it's upper boundary should be - is not my decision to make. But I feel like the number 2 might be a great place to land.

From the ADA FAQ site (https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html)

Q13. Can people bring more than one service animal into a public place?

A. Generally, yes. Some people with disabilities may use more than one service animal to perform different tasks. For example, a person who has a visual disability and a seizure disorder may use one service animal to assist with way-finding and another that is trained as a seizure alert dog. Other people may need two service animals for the same task, such as a person who needs two dogs to assist him or her with stability when walking. Staff may ask the two permissible questions (See Question 7) about each of the dogs. If both dogs can be accommodated, both should be allowed in. In some circumstances, however, it may not be possible to accommodate more than one service animal. For example, in a crowded small restaurant, only one dog may be able to fit under the table. The only other place for the second dog would be in the aisle, which would block the space between tables. In this case, staff may request that one of the dogs be left outside.

DG25 I think u were referring to me and my daughter's GEB guide dog & a comment I made about a store manager requesting her dog's paperwork as proof he's a service dog. I just asked my daughter about that card u mentioned Guiding Eyes gives and she said it's a laminated piece of paper and GEB literally told them all in her class that it's fake & worthless..as there is no true "legal" paperwork they give for certification of a guide dog. What she does have is the number of a GEB rep to call if she's ever in a true bind where she isn't being allowed access somewhere with her dog. She flies often and has never needed to show any card to any airlines. My original point was that No business owner/manager is allowed to ask for or require papers or certificates or tags or any other physical proof nonsense that a dog is a service dog.

Last edited:

DG25 I think u were referring to me and my daughter's GEB guide dog & a comment I made about a store manager requesting her dog's paperwork as proof he's a service dog. I just asked my daughter about that card u mentioned Guiding Eyes gives and she said it's a laminated piece of paper and GEB literally told them all in her class that it's fake & worthless..as there is no true "legal" paperwork they give for certification of a guide dog. What she does have is the number of a GEB rep to call if she's ever in a true bind where she isn't being allowed access somewhere with her dog. She flies often and has never needed to show any card to any airlines. My original point was that No business owner/manager is allowed to ask for or require papers or certificates or tags or any other physical proof nonsense that a dog is a service dog.
Quite right, the exception though can be when international travel is involved, as there can be conflicting laws in the country you are traveling to that have to be accommodated, not a common situation, but people should be aware that the other country may require certain paperwork, such as international health clearance, etc.

Service dogs must be leashed unless it is necessary for the dog to be off leash to properly perform its task(s). The law states the animal must be under control of the owner at all times.

Service dogs don't require paperwork, vests or any sort of physical proof. The owner may indicate that it is a service dog. The business may ask 1) is that your service dog and 2) what task does it perform. They can't ask what the owner needs the dog for, or require that it demonstrate its task.

Anyone can buy a vest, slap it on a dog and claim it is a service dog.

The exact wording of the questions, from the ADA's own website:

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

The exact wording of the questions, from the ADA's own website:

In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
There are businesses that ask every time, even when it’s pretty obvious.
A girl in a wheelchair holding a leash to a handsome black lab who is well behaved and wearing a red coat that says “Service Dog” probably has a SD, but we get asked every time we go into Walmart.

There are businesses that ask every time, even when it’s pretty obvious.
A girl in a wheelchair holding a leash to a handsome black lab who is well behaved and wearing a red coat that says “Service Dog” probably has a SD, but we get asked every time we go into Walmart.
My guess is if they do it consistently, then no one can accuse them of discrimination based on any particular other factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter