Extra "guest" in room- EEEK!!

Already posted this on the resorts page, but thought I'd ask here, too!
DD/SIL checked into their room at POR to find this little "friend!" It was hanging out in its web by the coffeemaker. Needless to say, she is freaked out (spider-phobic) and he's not too happy, as they think it's a brown recluse. Would they be being "that guest" if they took this guy to the front desk and asked that their room be thoroughly deep cleaned, at no charge to them, of course?
It's definitely not a brown recluse spider.

I would have put it outside and carried on. But, I am not afraid of spiders. There could be another one that comes in the next day.

Now, roaches (palmetto bugs) creep me out!!! We did have one in our room at All-Star Sports once and I wanted to move rooms, but didn't. We just looked really well for any more and didn't see another one the rest of our stay. It's just part of Florida.

First, the average time it takes a spider to build a web is an hour or less, so the existence of the spider and web is in no way an indication that the room has not been cleaned. Only that it hasn’t been cleaned in the last hour.

Second, we have bugs in the south. Guarantee you there have been spiders in all the rooms at some point, and they are probably in a lot of the rooms right now. You just don’t know they are there because most like to hide away or come and go without you noticing.

We have a nice house in town. Not even a wooded area. It gets regular pesticide treatments. We still get spiders inside. I’m sure if I went looking, I could probably find one right now. No matter how hard you try. You can’t keep 100% out. This is completely normal in the south.

If the thought that you might find one somewhere inside freaks you out, you probably need to rethink visiting the south.

They come in through cracks / seams around doors and windows and up pipe drains. There’s not much you can do to keep them out. Guarantee they are in restaurants and rides as well. They are everywhere.

If you are really worried, here’s what you do.

Shake everything you pick up out before putting it on. That’s usually how you get bit. You pick up something, a shirt, jacket, blanket, shoe, toy, etc that a spider has crawled inside of, and you aggravate it by moving it around or touching it by accident, so it bites you. They don’t come for you. They aren’t attack dogs. People aren’t spider food. If it is in the web, it will most likely stay there unless you disturb it. Just be aware before grabbing something, and you should be fine.

First, the average time it takes a spider to build a web is an hour or less, so the existence of the spider and web is in no way an indication that the room has not been cleaned. Only that it hasn’t been cleaned in the last hour.

Second, we have bugs in the south. Guarantee you there have been spiders in all the rooms at some point, and they are probably in a lot of the rooms right now. You just don’t know they are there because most like to hide away or come and go without you noticing.

We have a nice house in town. Not even a wooded area. It gets regular pesticide treatments. We still get spiders inside. I’m sure if I went looking, I could probably find one right now. No matter how hard you try. You can’t keep 100% out. This is completely normal in the south.

If the thought that you might find one somewhere inside freaks you out, you probably need to rethink visiting the south.

They come in through cracks / seams around doors and windows and up pipe drains. There’s not much you can do to keep them out. Guarantee they are in restaurants and rides as well. They are everywhere.

If you are really worried, here’s what you do.

Shake everything you pick up out before putting it on. That’s usually how you get bit. You pick up something, a shirt, jacket, blanket, shoe, toy, etc that a spider has crawled inside of, and you aggravate it by moving it around or touching it by accident, so it bites you. They don’t come for you. They aren’t attack dogs. People aren’t spider food. If it is in the web, it will most likely stay there unless you disturb it. Just be aware before grabbing something, and you should be fine.
Right?!

That’s what I was kinda thinking too… it’s just a spider. It doesn’t mean the room isn’t clean; it just means that there is a spider. Spiders happen.

And brown recluses typically aren’t out in the open - they like little hidey-holes like corners of closets & under boxes in garages. They’re reclusive - that’s how they got their name.

While spiders aren’t my favorite & I certainly don’t like being surprised by one, they’re not evil minions of Satan. Some of them are actually helpful.

I can’t imagine asking to switch rooms because of a spider. An infestation of spiders maybe… but one lone spider, no.

But I’m also in the South so maybe I’m just used to all the various creepy-crawlies.

To answer the original question in the OP, yes, they’d probably be “that guest” if they asked for a deep-cleaning of the room and/or to switch rooms because of a spider, but, more & more, “that guest” is becoming a lot more frequent- so the employees are probably used to it.

EDITED TO ADD - Should have read the whole thread before posting, & I would have seen that they, indeed, were offered & accepted a new room. So, yay! :-)

Last edited:
I flippin' hate spiders. Fortunately where I live spiders are rare and are limited to house spiders (small or medium) and, well, that's it. I've seen two in the last 6 months. From what I understand, they don't like the sea atmosphere and the ones that do hang out get eaten by the lizards!

I can't really imagine asking for a deep clean or a new room just due to a spider. Spiders don't appear because it's dirty. And I might prefer to stay in the room where I have just removed the known resident, rather than move to a new room that likely has a hidden resident lurking. Spiders get in, there is absolutely no guarantee another won't appear tonight in the new room.

The darn things live in my basement and walls -- I have come to a silent agreement with them -- I won't bother them in the basement but if they venture into my living space all bets are off!
If it was a brown recluse it wasn't a darn thing or something to have a "silent agreement" with. My dad got bitten by a brown recluse and spent three weeks in the hospital on IV antibiotics. He had a huge "hole" in his arm where the skin and tissue were horribly affected. At least he didn't require amputation, which is often the case.

In my own home I have spray or other methods to deal with these types of problems. At locations where I'm paying for clean and safe premises, I sure would be asking for another room!

If it was a brown recluse it wasn't a darn thing or something to have a "silent agreement" with. My dad got bitten by a brown recluse and spent three weeks in the hospital on IV antibiotics. He had a huge "hole" in his arm where the skin and tissue were horribly affected. At least he didn't require amputation, which is often the case.

In my own home I have spray or other methods to deal with these types of problems. At locations where I'm paying for clean and safe premises, I sure would be asking for another room!
The spider in the OP is not a brown recluse. Calm down.

I am calm. It wasn"t me. I'm glad you know spiders. Please don't be dismissive of others feelings however. She might very well have not reacted to a daddy long legs or another spider she knew.
It was you that I responded to. Your story about your dad is both unfortunate and sad, of course, and I'm sorry that happened to him, but it has no place here since it's already been proven multiple times in this thread (and on another thread the OP posted) that the spider in question is not a brown recluse.

My main issue with this post is the eye catching headline and the inference that Disney hotel rooms are crawling with deadly spiders. The OP also made another post on the exact same topic entitled "Brown Recluse Spider In Room". Why post the same thing twice other than to be double dramatic? Threads on this forum show up on general internet searches and people are prone to reading headlines and a few paragraphs, making assumptions without reading the entirety.

I am not "dismissive of others feelings" however I am really tired of people using the internet to blow things up before doing a little research on their own. Small unjustified accusations can do large harm. Disney took the hospitable action and moved OPs daughter to another room to calm her (irrational) fear and make her as comfortable as possible. (What else would you like for them to have done?) Yet how many thousands of people have seen the two threads by OP claiming there is danger lurking in Disney's rooms? I didn't even mention the implied accusation that Disney's rooms are unclean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter