Express pass and room key

Alexle2007

DIS Veteran
Last time we were at UO in July/Aug and stayed at PBH, we had to go to the kiosk to get our picture taken and then used that ticket for the express pass. Have they changed to using your room key now instead? We're going in Dec and staying at RP this time.

It was your room key in September, at least for RPR.
Great. It always feels like such a process at PBH, you get your key, go to the kiosk, and take the grainy picture printout. Most of the time you couldn't even make out the picture.

We stayed at RP in October and it was the room key. Super convenient, seems like the scanners at each attraction work really well! Some of them don't scan, but actually look at the dates on your room key...still a pretty quick process.

Stayed at Portofino at the end of October. The room key was the express pass. Super easy.

Ok so how would this work if you were traveling with others - so say my 12 yo twins want to go on a different ride than my 4 yo -- do they give a room key for each person in the room?

When you scan does it just let you know how many people are in the room? and that is what they let in with the room express pass?

Sorry i'm just used to WDW and this will be our first UO trip. Trying to understand this all and figure out how to properly plan

Ok so how would this work if you were traveling with others - so say my 12 yo twins want to go on a different ride than my 4 yo -- do they give a room key for each person in the room?

When you scan does it just let you know how many people are in the room? and that is what they let in with the room express pass?

Sorry i'm just used to WDW and this will be our first UO trip. Trying to understand this all and figure out how to properly plan

Each person registered to the room keys a room key with their name on it. Each person uses their own room key when entering the EP line........it gets scanned in various areas for each ride.

Right now they are testing and implementing a new system so you may go through a machine that takes your image after you scan the keycard.......it’s simple. Not all rides have this, yesterday it was Spider-Man and Trolley train in Zeuss.......

The EP system is really simple at Universal..........

They give a room key (keycard) to everyone at Uni, just like everyone used to get a keycard and now they get a MB at WDW.

They give a room key (keycard) to everyone at Uni, just like everyone used to get a keycard and now they get a MB at WDW.

So, considering you're whipping out your card at each attraction, how do most people carry theirs without losing it? Is it essential to have a lanyard?

So, considering you're whipping out your card at each attraction, how do most people carry theirs without losing it? Is it essential to have a lanyard?

Just like at Disneyland still and Wdw before, yes, lanyards are awesome.

I love my Ravenclaw “tie” lanyard and wear it to Disney too (bc magic bands are just another thing to take, and I prudently still take ID, Dvc card, insurance card, cc, and backup cash) with my hard plastic waterproof Witz brand “see it safe” case.

I've never used a lanyard. I just keep my pass in a front zippered compartment of my waist pack that I use because I don't want to use the lockers.

I've never used a lanyard. I just keep my pass in a front zippered compartment of my waist pack that I use because I don't want to use the lockers.

But don't you have to put that in the locker when you ride Hulk, FJ, and Gringotts? I believe you can still wear your lanyard on those rides.

But don't you have to put that in the locker when you ride Hulk, FJ, and Gringotts? I believe you can still wear your lanyard on those rides.

Only on Hulk and RRR do you need to put that in a locker. I don't ride those...;)

Sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on the TM I guess. Last week we rode Hulk probably a half dozen times Tues. and Wed. with our lanyards on. Then on Thursday the TM wouldn't let us through the EP line with our lanyards, said they had to go in a locker. I pleaded our case, lost, and then put them in a locker. On Friday I noticed after we got in line that about 10 people in front of us were wearing their lanyards. So.... maybe :confused3

ETA: also rode RRR several times with lanyard on with no issues.

Sometimes yes sometimes no, depends on the TM I guess. Last week we rode Hulk probably a half dozen times Tues. and Wed. with our lanyards on. Then on Thursday the TM wouldn't let us through the EP line with our lanyards, said they had to go in a locker. I pleaded our case, lost, and then put them in a locker. On Friday I noticed after we got in line that about 10 people in front of us were wearing their lanyards. So.... maybe :confused3

That's crazy!

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of them not allowing lanyards. How do they expect you to carry your EP for that line? I would have taken down the TM name and had a talk with guest services, and I rarely make complaints at Uni.

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of them not allowing lanyards. How do they expect you to carry your EP for that line? I would have taken down the TM name and had a talk with guest services, and I rarely make complaints at Uni.

I think she had an issue with the fact that they were the hard plastic Witz cases. We didn't have any issues on any other rides though. We rode Hulk at least a dozen times over 4 days and only had 1 TM make us take them off. It was the TM at the metal detector and there was a 2nd TM that seemed to be agreeing with her. I didn't feel like arguing with them, she wasn't being rude, I know she was just trying to do her job and we just wanted to ride. Definitely wasn't a big enough issue to make me go to GS. Most of the TM's we encountered were fantastic I made it a point to do the ipad surveys and give them a shout out when I had a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!