Exposing unerupted tooth and attaching a brace

bjscheel

(Avatar art by my daughter)
Possible oral surgery in DD10's future- she has an adult tooth that has not come yet that is aiming at a pretty severe angle and headed towards another adult tooth. It has straightened a little in the past year. In December, we are to see an oral surgeon to see if he thinks we should expose the tooth and attach a brace to it to start turning it. She already has braces.

Has anyone gone through this already? If so, can you share your experience- how bad was it?

Just curious.

my dd who is now 18 had two baby teeth pulled and a chain attached to the adult teeth to pull them down. I assume you are talking about roughly the same thing. She did fine..I cannot recall exactly how old she was...maybe 6th or 7th grade? She had no problems at all.

DD had the same thing. Both top teeth growing sideways. Baby teeth were pulled, chains attached and pulled down with her braces. Process took 2 years. Both teeth look lovely now!

Actual oral surgeon visit was not bad. She was knocked out. When she woke up she had minimal pain.

My Son had this done about 4 months ago. Just some minor soreness for couple days. Goes back about every 3 weeks to get chain tightened.

We just got done with this with my teenager. She had one baby tooth that hadn't come out and the adult tooth behind it hadn't descended and was at a wonky angle. The rest of her teeth are straight and nicely spaced, with a barely imaginable overbite.

The orthodonist wanted to put her in a full set of braces for two years, remove the baby tooth, expose the adult tooth and attach a chain to it to pull it into place. Total cost of approximately $7500.

I asked for Plan B, which he grudgingly gave. They pulled the baby tooth and exposed the problem tooth. They made a small appliance, which was essentially a wire that wrapped around the two adjacent teeth on either side to attach the chain.

It worked perfectly. They had originally said it would take 6-8 months, but was done in less than 4 months. Total cost was $1100.

They wanted us to do that to DD when she first got her braces when she was 14. She had a molar(#7) that hadn't come in yet. At the time, it was coming in at a severe angle and pushing on another tooth. We didn't have the surgery and the molar came in just fine on it's own when she was 15. She's now just turned 16 and she got her braces off last month & her teeth are beautiful.:teeth:

kacaju said:
my dd who is now 18 had two baby teeth pulled and a chain attached to the adult teeth to pull them down. I assume you are talking about roughly the same thing. She did fine..I cannot recall exactly how old she was...maybe 6th or 7th grade? She had no problems at all.

I had this done when I was in 7th grade. After having the chain and bracket attached to the adult tooth for about 2months, one of the links on the chain broke. It was too far into my gums to reattach without having the oral surgery again. Although I had a cruddy experience, I think i was definitely in the minority.

Thanks for sharing. Naturally she is worried. It is nice to hear that it hasn't been a major issue for most. She has this on both sides. The baby teeth are already pulled out, in hopes that the wonky teeth would take the path of least resistance. Seems to be working for one side, it is the other that hasn't corrected much. I am not sure the procedure will happen this year or not, because the ortho mentioned she hasn't got many adult teeth to use to anchor the chain to- actually she only has 3 adult teeth on top.

I am hoping that they will need to wait for more adult teeth...and that in the meantime this tooth straightens out and doesn't push on that one adult tooth too much :goodvibes The kid has already been through kind of a lot for her age with the braces and some other things and one less thing to deal with would be great.

Daughter recently just had a tooth removed instead of braces. 3 of the canine teeth twisted up straight and ended up fine. The forth continued straight across and in front of the front teeth.

Orthodontist wanted to practically reconstruct her mouth. We weren't keen on spending more than I paid for my car on completely changing out daughter's natural features just so that the 1 tooth could be pulled up after 2 to 3 years. Oral surgeon removed it in 15 minutes.

We don't agree with all the cosmetic reconstruction that is assumed will be done when you visit the orthodontist. If it was necessary such as the case of our other daughter, then we agreed to do it. We just don't agree with all this money spent to correct bite and such when there is nothing wrong with it.

Our youngest now has braces, $500. She'll be done in 6 months because she has huge gaps in the front 4 teeth and they want to move them together to make room for other teeth coming in.

The first daughter's teeth are just fine. The orthodontist (different than the younger daughter's) just wanted to make a ton of money off us. $84 and 15 minutes later, her problem was fixed as opposed to $7000 and 2-3 years.

My DD who will be 10 at the end of the month has the same problem. She has had braces for about 6 months. They pulled the baby teeth and a couple months later put the braces on to hopefully make enough room for her impacted adult canines. Her bite has already been corrected- very quickly. Now we are hoping there is enough room for those teeth to move and come down. Otherwise she will have to have them exposed and chained.

Good luck!

BTW- DD13 doesn't have any adult lateral incisors. Her options are to move her teeth together and file the canines down to look like incisors or to move them apart and get implanted incisors. Not a good choice either way.

DD had this done. She had a missing tooth (adult) and the tooth next to it was laying exactly sideways (taking the space of both teeth). They pulled the two baby teeth involved and attached the chain to the adult tooth.

General anesthetic caused a bit of nausea afterwards, but the actual procedure was not bad. Ice cream and pudding helped make her feel special.

The tooth did come in quite nicely. Although, later it had to be crowned (along with the tooth on the other side of the gap) in order to make a bridge with the missing tooth in it. She has a really great smile now.

:cutie:

DD had this done several years ago and had the chain added, too. She is a wimp when it comes to needles, shots, etc. As soon as she was finished with the procedure at the oral surgeon's, she wanted to go to the mall and Christmas shop. She had absolutely no problems.

Possible oral surgery in DD10's future- she has an adult tooth that has not come yet that is aiming at a pretty severe angle and headed towards another adult tooth. It has straightened a little in the past year. In December, we are to see an oral surgeon to see if he thinks we should expose the tooth and attach a brace to it to start turning it. She already has braces.

Has anyone gone through this already? If so, can you share your experience- how bad was it?

Just curious.
I was wondering how your situation went. My son goes in tomorrow for the exposure and his baby canines to be taken out. I'm so worried it makes me sick. Please share your experience! Thank you!

I was wondering how your situation went. My son goes in tomorrow for the exposure and his baby canines to be taken out. I'm so worried it makes me sick. Please share your experience! Thank you!

Hi! My daughter's tooth came in straight on its own without having the procedure. We had the baby teeth pulled first and then gave it time to see what the adult teeth would do without those teeth in the way and they did cooperate :)

We are still in the braces process, in fact she had an appointment this morning.

Hi! My daughter's tooth came in straight on its own without having the procedure. We had the baby teeth pulled first and then gave it time to see what the adult teeth would do without those teeth in the way and they did cooperate :)

We are still in the braces process, in fact she had an appointment this morning.
That's great news that she didn't have the surgery. I wasn't given that option. Maybe the age had something to do with it. I'll update soon to see how we do. Thank you for replying. It makes me feel better knowing My son isn't the only one.

Yeah, as you can see, others in this thread had little issue with the procedure. Good luck to him. We still have to decide what to do about DD's missing adult tooth and an implant seems no fun. No end in sight on the braces either, at least they haven't said anything about it being done soon but she had many issues.

I had a tooth that was stuck in my palate. I had my braces put on first and they used a spacer to make room for the tooth and the I went to the oral surgeon and they attached a chain to the tooth that the orthodontist then would adjust the chain against the wire for my braces to bring the tooth down. No issues with the oral surgery when they did this. I had a few oral surgeries before/after my braces (teeth wouldn't fall out, adult teeth removed because there wasn't room etc.) and this was the only one they didn't put me completely under for and I was fine afterwards.

Edit: Oops didn't see that this was a zombie thread

I had a tooth that was stuck in my palate. I had my braces put on first and they used a spacer to make room for the tooth and the I went to the oral surgeon and they attached a chain to the tooth that the orthodontist then would adjust the chain against the wire for my braces to bring the tooth down. No issues with the oral surgery when they did this. I had a few oral surgeries before/after my braces (teeth wouldn't fall out, adult teeth removed because there wasn't room etc.) and this was the only one they didn't put me completely under for and I was fine afterwards.

Edit: Oops didn't see that this was a zombie thread
How old were you at the time?

My DS had this done when he was 15. I was worried he'd have a hard time because he has sensory issues, but he did just fine, no problems at all. It helped that the oral surgeon was fantastic and very kind and reassuring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter