Existing Contract

Oh, heathere3... I won't tell you it is quick and easy, but the process to do it yourself is painless but does take some time. This experience was over 4 years ago so some things might have changed... I think bumbershoot found that the transfer request is now available on-line.

You don't need a title attorney because you are not performing a title search... however, if you are closing on another resale the closing company perhaps they could write you a new deed (with fee, of course). But you shouldn't have to pay the $500 title search on a deed your husband already owns.

The only thing I will caution against is that to be joined in the system for one log-in is that the names MUST MATCH!! In my second resale purchase they forgot my brother's middle initial, there are 4 names on the contract so someone just fat-fingered it on the DVC end. It was correct on the deeds. So that caused a little snafu... but they are particular.

Good Luck!!

The only thing I will caution against is that to be joined in the system for one log-in is that the names MUST MATCH!! In my second resale purchase they forgot my brother's middle initial, there are 4 names on the contract so someone just fat-fingered it on the DVC end. It was correct on the deeds. So that caused a little snafu... but they are particular.

Good Luck!!

There is an option on the Dashboard to add a membership to an existing login. Others have used this to be able to access membership that they previously had 2 logins for.

Question, when you are creating a new deed, do you basically copy it word-for-word from the one that's already on file, but include the names of the family members you are adding? Or do you list yourself as the "Grantor" (in place of the people you bought it from), then add yourself in again as the "Grantee" along with the new family members? Thanks for any assistance!

Question, when you are creating a new deed, do you basically copy it word-for-word from the one that's already on file, but include the names of the family members you are adding? Or do you list yourself as the "Grantor" (in place of the people you bought it from), then add yourself in again as the "Grantee" along with the new family members? Thanks for any assistance!
The current names would be the Grantors. You're transferring it from you to you and everyone else.

Thank you for your reply. I was looking at some of the deeds on the Comptrollers records search and saw that's how most people did there's. I am a complete novice at this, what is the difference between a deed, warranty deed, and quick-claim deed? I will ask "Professor Google" as well! :)

There is an option on the Dashboard to add a membership to an existing login. Others have used this to be able to access membership that they previously had 2 logins for.
I'm going to hope this works for me, we have one contract bought direct which Disney used our middle names for, nothing else in our lives is titled this way. Our resale is a different use year, and I tried to get them to title it the same weird way but no luck, so just our initials. Both have a healthy amount of points so hopefully this won't be a huge issue. I do know if we bought a 3rd, I would make sure the use year and the names match!

For this situation a Quit Claim deed is all you need. If you want to learn more about the various types, there are many sites on the web which explain them, some in more detail than others.

A quit claim, at least where I live, basically says, "I give any and all of my interest in this property to _____." The problem with this is that it doesn't actually transfer title because it doesn't establish your original interest. It's often misused and ends up clouding the original title. The appropriate use is when someone who might have an undocumented claim disavows that claim, declaring the current owner to have full rights. I would not use a quit claim to transfer title.

A quit claim, at least where I live, basically says, "I give any and all of my interest in this property to _____." The problem with this is that it doesn't actually transfer title because it doesn't establish your original interest. It's often misused and ends up clouding the original title. The appropriate use is when someone who might have an undocumented claim disavows that claim, declaring the current owner to have full rights. I would not use a quit claim to transfer title.
I disagree, for the purposes of DVC it'll work fine. It could end up causing issues if one goes to resell and title insurance is needed but unlikely. As long as DVC will change the title, it'll work. DVC actually uses it themselves at times.

I disagree, for the purposes of DVC it'll work fine. It could end up causing issues if one goes to resell and title insurance is needed but unlikely. As long as DVC will change the title, it'll work. DVC actually uses it themselves at times.
Thanks, Dean! Will do a bit more research and then give it a go!!!

Am approaching my 30 day ROFR window. How does DVC notify you once they approve?

I can't recall, but I believe it was through snail mail that I received my notification of ROFR during the process of adding on my brother to the contract. I'd check my paperwork, but I'm in the middle of moving.

Huey578, perhaps give them a call, usually with adding on a name to an existing contract the turn around time is quite speedy.

Am approaching my 30 day ROFR window. How does DVC notify you once they approve?
I hope that you heard from DVC by now. I emailed them three weeks after sending my request and never heard a word back. But I got my ROFR and other documents in my snail mail on Day #25.

I hope that you heard from DVC by now. I emailed them three weeks after sending my request and never heard a word back. But I got my ROFR and other documents in my snail mail on Day #25.
Yes, actually got my approval in the mail yesterday!! :cool1: Reading the docs, am going to wait till after our vacation to submit the paperwork to DVC as I do not want my reservation cancelled.

Found out yesterday that copies of the recorded deed and ROFR can be emailed or faxed to Member Accounting along with the Change Request Form. They do not need to be mailed in, so that saves a few days in the process as well.
Awesome :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!