Excellent Damage Control.

SanFranciscan

DIS Veteran
My husband and I just took our first trip to Walt Disney World the first week of October. We were very excited because this was our only trip outside of California since we went to Reno in 1985 to marry without the expense of a wedding we knew would have us in debt for years. People have told me that I am a low-maintenance woman in what sometimes sounds like a backhanded compliment. Whether or not these people are right that I have been content with my life due to low expectations, Disney employees went waaaay beyond my expectations.

We stayed at the Crestwood Suites in a rather industrial area of Orlando, which required us to take three different buses to get to Disney property, because we needed a kitchen for special diets. The only way to even get any information about how to catch public transportation to Disney World was to first get on the buses. Our hotel desk clerk knew nothing. The cashiers at the Wal*Mart knew nothing, even though the store sold Disney tickets. The Denny's waitress working near a lot of tourist hotels knew nothing. Yet when we got on the buses, the Lynx drivers were furious that we didn't know the system and were extremely rude.

By the time we got to Disney World we were already so frustrated that we didn't even feel like being there. The Disney employees were very good about trying to be helpful, even when we needed help getting back to a room that wasn't even on Disney property. It will take us until 2010 to save enough money to return to Disney World and stay on Disney property so that is how long it will be before we return.

I know that Disney takes a great deal of heat for keeping a captive audience on Disney property. Yet with the population aging, the number of tourists who do not drive is just going to continue to increase. I have no idea why the city of Orlando would want tourists, who have only a vague idea where we are going, to hit the road in mass in what is often in the rain in Florida. Yet the system off of Disney property is set up to enforce the use of a private vehicle. We found British tourists to be particularly perturbed by this.

Disney employees do a very good job of smoothing feathers ruffled off of Disney property.

My husband and I just took our first trip to Walt Disney World the first week of October. We were very excited because this was our only trip outside of California since we went to Reno in 1985 to marry without the expense of a wedding we knew would have us in debt for years. People have told me that I am a low-maintenance woman in what sometimes sounds like a backhanded compliment. Whether or not these people are right that I have been content with my life due to low expectations, Disney employees went waaaay beyond my expectations.

We stayed at the Crestwood Suites in a rather industrial area of Orlando, which required us to take three different buses to get to Disney property, because we needed a kitchen for special diets. The only way to even get any information about how to catch public transportation to Disney World was to first get on the buses. Our hotel desk clerk knew nothing. The cashiers at the Wal*Mart knew nothing, even though the store sold Disney tickets. The Denny's waitress working near a lot of tourist hotels knew nothing. Yet when we got on the buses, the Lynx drivers were furious that we didn't know the system and were extremely rude.

By the time we got to Disney World we were already so frustrated that we didn't even feel like being there. The Disney employees were very good about trying to be helpful, even when we needed help getting back to a room that wasn't even on Disney property. It will take us until 2010 to save enough money to return to Disney World and stay on Disney property so that is how long it will be before we return.

I know that Disney takes a great deal of heat for keeping a captive audience on Disney property. Yet with the population aging, the number of tourists who do not drive is just going to continue to increase. I have no idea why the city of Orlando would want tourists, who have only a vague idea where we are going, to hit the road in mass in what is often in the rain in Florida. Yet the system off of Disney property is set up to enforce the use of a private vehicle. We found British tourists to be particularly perturbed by this.

Disney employees do a very good job of smoothing feathers ruffled off of Disney property.

Glad to hear Disney straightened it out and I hope you both had a great time. I also hope you will get to go to Disney sooner, it is a great destination!:goodvibes

yes, public transportation has never been a priority of the Central Florida area

You can use the LYNX transit website to download a transit map and schedules.

It only took me about 10 minutes to figure out a way to get from your hotel to wdw with a single bus.

You can use the LYNX transit website to download a transit map and schedules.

It only took me about 10 minutes to figure out a way to get from your hotel to wdw with a single bus.

My husband and I saw signs saying that there was a Route 301 on the Lynx system to WDW while we were waiting for the Link 50 to the Sea World transfer point, but we never saw any such bus the whole time we were waiting or riding around on the transit system. We wondered whether it was an express bus running very specific hours for Disney employees.

I understand why Disney has its critics like the writer of Team Rodent and others. However, in my opinion, if you can't afford to stay on Disney property, you might be better off just skipping the trip entirely. Once a visitor leave Disney property the aggravation level skyrockets!

We were impressed by the efforts of Disney employees to make us feel better after we arrived in a mood containing no pixie dust. Impressed enough that I came here to thank them for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter