Exactly what we needed...$467.00 of

My neighbor is a stay at home dad. He rolled up one day with 30 boxes of cake mix and icing because it was insanely on sale. Then he started giving it out to the neighborhood ladies. I love this guy!:rotfl:

My neighbor is a stay at home dad. He rolled up one day with 30 boxes of cake mix and icing because it was insanely on sale. Then he started giving it out to the neighborhood ladies. I love this guy!:rotfl:
That's funny!

I shop sales...always!
Coupons and sales and buying sale items in bulk, always!
I sent my husband to the store with my very long shopping list, not realizing it was my list for the upcoming week and upcoming sales (I was planning ahead, my fault, I know.)
I've never had a grocery bill so high in my life! I asked him, didn't you notice NOTHING was on sale???
Yikes!

Last edited:
Ahhh but that's the sheer beauty of the plan. You see if we proactively mess up, we get to watch football in peace because "he tried and I didn't even have to ask him." If you wait until you're asked, well you don't get to mess up.

That's some next level stuff there! :smooth:

Is this a hurricane preparedness kit,by any chance? Because that's what it sounds like.

Yep, except for the deli stuff, I thought he was a Prepper. You know, for when N Korea makes it across the Pacific. Rest of us might starve, but this guy will be all set! ::yes::

I shop sales...always!
Coupons and sales and buying sale items in bulk, always!
I sent my husband to the store with my very long shopping list, not realizing it was my list for the upcoming week and upcoming sales (I was planning ahead, my fault, I know.)
I've never had a grocery bill so high in my life! I asked him, didn't you notice NOTHING was on sale???
Yikes!

If it's on the list, it's coming home :)

Do all of you who are joking (or not joking) about your husbands' inability to grocery shop never grocery shop together? Does he never cook??

Like, I don't understand this. I know what to buy because I know what kind of food we cook. It's not rocket science. It's called paying attention.

Last edited:

My DH coming home with $75 worth of CEREAL is legend in our house. At the time there were just three of us. DD was a toddler so ate her fair share of Cheerios but I rarely ate any kind of cereal. We had boxes stacked on top of the refrigerator for quite some time. The rule after that was, don’t go to the store hungry and DO NOT buy cereal unless it’s on his list. :rotfl2:

I have to admit that DH does 90% of the grocery shopping. He gets off work earlier than I do so the stores aren't as crowded. Every once in a while he'll bring something crazy home but for the most part, I can't complain :)

Love this thread! It made me remember my dad's grocery shopping. -- he bought the stuff he liked. Lovely things like tinned kippered herrings and pickled walnuts. Things nobody else could stand!

Do all of you who are joking (or not joking) about your husband's inability to grocery shop never grocery shop together? Does he never cook??

Like, I don't understand this. I know what to buy because I know what kind of food we cook. It's not rocket science. It's called paying attention.

That's just it! A big YES to all your questions. I had open heart surgery 2 years ago and at that time we had 6 people in this house every day. My mom was terminally ill and had 3 nurses a day, along with DH and myself. DH had never done more than grilling outside before my heart surgery. He immediately began doing all the shopping and cooking. We ate *great stuff*! He cooks extremely well! He searched recipes online and gave them a shot. Nurses sometimes provided input and recipes to try. No scrimping was done and there was always plenty for everyone. Yesterday's shopping experience was just "for fun". I slept late and he went to the store without me and just decided to try *everything* he'd ever wanted to try and wondered about.

Last edited:
Do all of you who are joking (or not joking) about your husbands' inability to grocery shop never grocery shop together? Does he never cook??

26 years of marriage..

We have never shopped for groceries together and my husband has never cooked a family meal.

He did make an apple pie once many years ago with the kids. It was when he was all into doing projects and crafts with them (he may not be able to cook, but he did often keep the kids entertained when they were young, so I'm not complaining.)

No, I don't let DH come with me anymore and he doesn't want to either. I used to get mad at him for putting random expensive junk in the cart without looking at the price, and he would get mad at me for putting back most of what he picked out and replacing it with the brand/size that we actually use or was on sale.

And he only cooks maybe 3 times/ year, so he has no idea what ingredients comprise most of our meals.

That's just it! A big YES to all your questions. I had open heart surgery 2 years ago and at that time we had 6 people in this house every day. My mom was terminally ill and had 3 nurses a day, along with DH and myself. DH had never done more than grilling outside before my heart surgery. He immediately began doing all the shopping and cooking. We ate *great stuff*! He cooks extremely well! He searched recipes online and gave them a shot. Nurses sometimes provided input and recipes to try. No scrimping was done and there was always plenty for everyone. Yesterday's shopping experience was just "for fun". I slept late and he went to the store without me and just decided to try *everything* he'd ever wanted to try and wondered about.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it doesn't put you in a financial bind. :goodvibes :goodvibes

Love this thread! It made me remember my dad's grocery shopping. -- he bought the stuff he liked. Lovely things like tinned kippered herrings and pickled walnuts. Things nobody else could stand!

I think this points out an obvious flaw in the notion that some of these fellows came home with the "wrong" stuff. No, it's only "wrong" to those who would have chosen otherwise. In their minds, all the OTHER grocery trips taken by their wive were "wrong". Different isn't necessarily "wrong".

Now, going way over budget, getting junk you won't eat, getting a 2 year supply of common goods - yeah, those are all "wrong" LOL

I seem to have the opposite problem. My husband loves to shop with me. But, he's stingy, and he'll look at prices and say "oh, we don't need this right now," "we'll get it next time it's on sale," "that's crazy expensive, no way." He just really thinks food should cost what it did 25 years ago.
Then, two days later, he's looking in the fridge and pantry and saying "we don't have anything to eat around here." :rolleyes:

Oh make no mistake it is. But he doesn't drink or smoke, and if he is not at the rink he is home with me. He had a miserable 1st marriage and she would not "let" him play. Now he is happy, and loves our life. Plus damn it keeps him in awesome shape. How many 58 yo do you have a 6 pack? So I do get some benefits:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:-):-)

My husband plays twice a week, and does spin class twice a week too, and he doesn't have the 6 pack, It's more like a keg, LOL! He doesn't smoke, but he does drink beer, so I guess it really is a keg. But I agree there are some hockey benefits - great legs and butt!

My husband plays twice a week, and does spin class twice a week too, and he doesn't have the 6 pack, It's more like a keg, LOL! He doesn't smoke, but he does drink beer, so I guess it really is a keg. But I agree there are some hockey benefits - great legs and butt!

Oh yeah buns of steel here. He does do the gym the other nights - drags my chubby butt there too. Abs are his thing, the rest comes naturally from hockey - 1st line center, so he does work on the abs. I couldn't get him to spin if a promised him Weekend Warrior Camp :rotfl2::rotfl2:

DH also knows which type of shampoo and deodorant I use, remembers to pick up treats for the pets, and (back when i needed such things) had no problem finding and buying the correct feminine items.

I can only imagine husbands who are bringing home "the wrong things" are bringing home things they'd actually like. Maybe take some notes buy the poor guy a pack of Ding Dongs once in a while LOL.

Mireille, I don't have anything to add to previous posters' comments, but I wanted to tell you that I love your name. It's my younger daughter's middle name, to go with our French last name.

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter