Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

I agree with you about the rating question, and I'll come back to that later.

However, the driver has no idea of the destination or any stops when they accept the ride. The only info the driver gets is the rider's screen name, their rider rating, the class of service, whether or not there is any incentive, and the approximate number of minutes to pickup. The driver doesn't know whether you are going one mile with three stops, or 200 miles with no stops.

[ETA: Given that, a driver who accepts a ride and then learns it will require something they are not willing to do has no alternative but to cancel the ride. Canceled rides are not rated, so they will not affect your rating or the driver's. If the driver has already started the ride and finds out later there are problematic issues, they have no option but to end the ride and suck up the bad rating that will result.

Either of those is an inconvenience for the rider, of course, and nobody wants that. But another Uber/Lyft driver will be just around the corner so it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience.]
And if riders are not happy with the effectiveness of a company's communication with their drivers, they should use another company.Not a chance. NOT A CHANCE...zero chance. Lyft listens only to their own drummer.

On ratings...Uber is in the process of rolling out an improved ratings procedure in the next few weeks and Lyft will undoubtedly copy it quickly. (Both companies copy each other shamelessly!)

In the future, if an Uber rider rates a driver anything below 5 stars, the rider will be required to state a reason. Also, ratings lower than 5 stars will carry a definition from Uber. For example, 4 stars will say, "Ride was OK, but there was an issue."

If the reason for the rating is something outside the driver's control (like fare, etc), that negative rating will not count against the driver. In addition, if a rider frequently gives sub-5 ratings, their ratings will not be counted against drivers.

Following that logic, it seems reasonable that similar protections will be built into driver ratings of riders (and I certainly think they should be). Uber already sets a default rating of 5-stars for every rider on every ride, so the driver has to take some deliberate action to rate you any lower. Lyft has not copied that...yet.

Just FYI, in a little over 1,300 rides with both companies, I have given exactly two 1-star rider ratings (both for attempted fraud) and maybe 3 4-star ratings. I've never given a 2 or 3 star rating. And we are required to rate every single rider on every single trip.

I also think my ratings philosophy is very typical; I don't know any drivers who rate riders low unless there is a pretty clear issue with the rider.

I used Uber to get to work from my home on Thursday and the "Ride was OK, but there was an issue" came up when I went to rate my driver. My driver was a very nice woman, but I had a carryon bag and backpack with me and I walked to the back of her Ford Escape to put my bags back there and had to ask her to pop the door open. She said to just put my bags in the backseat because the back was loaded with her kids' car seats. (I didn't mention it was raining, but that didn't help my impression.) Her car upholstery was stained and dirty (I get it, two little kids). The car smelled like cigarettes and smoke. It was a ride where I just wanted to hold my breath the whole time. I gave her a 4 rating and noted that the car smelled. I did tip. I'm bummed that my rating is only 4.75 and I can't figure out why. I tipped in cash before tipping was an option in the Uber app. It would be nice if the drivers also had to explain.

Did anyone see the Life In Pieces episode about the rider rating!?

I'm bummed that my rating is only 4.75 and I can't figure out why.
First of all, don't worry about your rider rating.

If it's exactly 4.75, that tells me that you don't have very many Uber rides, and you probably got one 4-star rating. You won't have any trouble at all getting rides accepted; 4.75 is not a low rating. With a small sample size, your average will bounce up and down a lot. On the bright side, it will bounce back up after a few more rides.

I drove a guy a couple of months ago who had a 3.6! And he was a perfect passenger.
It would be nice if the drivers also had to explain.
I'm hoping they will adopt that as well. I'm sure the default-5 has helped, but I think if it's a sensible protection for the drivers, it's just as sensible for our customers...even though your rating doesn't really mean much.

On your rating of that driver, I think you rated her perfectly. The ride was OK, but there was a definite problem which needs to be corrected. That's what 4-stars are for.

There is no excuse for a dirty car, much less a smelly car. And stains do happen, but they can also be cleaned. Your situation is also a perfect example of how the new system will help drivers. She will be notified that some rider found the smell of her car objectionable. If she's a good driver, she will take that the right way and clean her car -- and that will improve her driver ratings over time.

Frankly, I would not have tipped her. A car reeking of cigarette smoke would have been my second-ever ride without a tip (my only non-tip ride was a whiny guy with a 24-inch crack in his front windshield).

Will Uber or Lyft pick up from the Cabanas buildings at CSR or do you need to go to Lobby to meet driver?

Will Uber or Lyft pick up from the Cabanas buildings at CSR or do you need to go to Lobby to meet driver?
Because of the internal gates you need to go to the lobby. Drop off isn't a problem since you are with them to open the gates. Just pick up is an issue, the driver has no way to open the gates. They can only go to the lobby

We're arriving at MCO 12/16 17:00ish, 2A & 2C-12&13, 3 cases and small hand luggage each, travelling to RPR. Uber website says only "UberSELECT or UberFAMILY" for pickups at MCO, I'm presuming any cars picking up at MCO would have enough space for our luggage. How do costs compare with Mears or a Car service. We use Uber at home so no problem using it, we just want to get to RPR with minimal fuss but if it's a premium vehicle all the better.

Also where would we go to meet our car as the Uber website states "If you selected uberX or uberXL as your vehicle option, exit via Arrivals on Level 2 and wait for your driver curbside. If you selected UberSELECT, head to Level 1 and walk to the Express Pickup Tunnel located directly next to the rental car counters." But it also states you can only get UberSELECT.

We're arriving at MCO 12/16 17:00ish, 2A & 2C-12&13, 3 cases and small hand luggage each, travelling to RPR. Uber website says only "UberSELECT or UberFAMILY" for pickups at MCO, I'm presuming any cars picking up at MCO would have enough space for our luggage. How do costs compare with Mears or a Car service. We use Uber at home so no problem using it, we just want to get to RPR with minimal fuss but if it's a premium vehicle all the better.

Also where would we go to meet our car as the Uber website states "If you selected uberX or uberXL as your vehicle option, exit via Arrivals on Level 2 and wait for your driver curbside. If you selected UberSELECT, head to Level 1 and walk to the Express Pickup Tunnel located directly next to the rental car counters." But it also states you can only get UberSELECT.
It sounds to me like you might be looking at an old cached webpage. Effective July 1, 2017, a new Florida rideshare law went into effect and now ALL classes of service for both Uber and Lyft can pick up at ALL Florida airports. You can check Ride Guru for price comparisons, but Uber should be much less than the other options. X should be less than half the price of a taxi and XL (room for 6) should be about 1/3 less than a taxi that carries 4.

Uber Select should be a nicer vehicle, but not necessarily spacious enough for your party. XL will be an SUV or minivan seating 6, and you'll have plenty of room.

It sounds to me like you might be looking at an old cached webpage. Effective July 1, 2017, a new Florida rideshare law went into effect and now ALL classes of service for both Uber and Lyft can pick up at ALL Florida airports. You can check Ride Guru for price comparisons, but Uber should be much less than the other options. X should be less than half the price of a taxi and XL (room for 6) should be about 1/3 less than a taxi that carries 4.

Uber Select should be a nicer vehicle, but not necessarily spacious enough for your party. XL will be an SUV or minivan seating 6, and you'll have plenty of room.

Thanks for that, will probably go for XL to be safe. Any idea how easy it is to find pick up location. We haven't been to MCO before, I'm guessing we don't order Uber until we've got through immigration and got luggage.

I believe you just go anywhere on the lower level, and the app will ask you to enter your door number to pinpoint your location. If the lower level is Arrivals, as it is here in Miami, that's where baggage claim will be and you'll already be there, so it will be very convenient. I'm sure Angi or Joel will chime in with more detail.

Thanks for that, will probably go for XL to be safe. Any idea how easy it is to find pick up location. We haven't been to MCO before, I'm guessing we don't order Uber until we've got through immigration and got luggage.

I believe you just go anywhere on the lower level, and the app will ask you to enter your door number to pinpoint your location. If the lower level is Arrivals, as it is here in Miami, that's where baggage claim will be and you'll already be there, so it will be very convenient. I'm sure Angi or Joel will chime in with more detail.

Yes, it is quite easy and we found it really clear to understand. It is on the lower level, same as bag claim.
After you have your bags, or whenever you are ready for a car (whichever is later) open the app and when it sees you are at MCO for a pick up it will give you the instructions for where to go. It gives you a drop down list of door numbers to select for your pick up location. When you step outside and look up you'll see the number. Select the one that for where you are. The cars queue up pretty close by so it wouldn't be a long wait.

Does anyone know where the pick-up area for Uber or Lyft is at SFB (Sanford airport) ?
We have been favoring Sanford lately , but usually rent cars . Car rental prices in January are still WAY high, so we are considering using Uber or Lyft to get to Saratoga Springs (praying we do not get placed in the Carousel section , without a car !)
We are very familiar with Sanford Airport, and the car rental area, but never paid much attention to where the arriving pick-up area may be for Taxis, Uber, Lyft, private pick-ups, etc. .
Anyone know where Uber or Lyft prefers to pick-up at SFB ?
Thanks !

Anyone ?

The Uber and Lyft websites have the info you're after:

https://www.uber.com/airports/sfb/

https://www.lyft.com/airports/sfb

Thanks, saw that ....... its just not that convincing .
Uber says go to the "departures" level which is kind of odd to me .
Lyft just says to open the app at the airport ,and it will tell you the pick up zone . At least lift gives you a hint and says pick up will be at the ground transportation area , across from the terminal.

SFB's terminal map is not the greatest, so I was hoping someone who has used Uber or Lyft from SFB would be able to get more exact .

Thanks for the links !

A co-worker had an issue with her teenage daughter and UBER, and I wanted to get an opinion on it. The daughter was going to her boyfriend's and told her mother she would take an Uber there. A few days later, the UBER driver showed up at her house demanding money for the trip, saying the daughter had promised to pay him later, instead of using her credit card. I don't think this is possible with UBER, is it? Is it possible he's giving out his phone number for people to call him directly for a ride, or is there a way to cancel the ride after he accepts it so that he could do it 'off the books'? My co-worker paid the guy, but I told her she should have gotten his name and reported him to UBER.

A co-worker had an issue with her teenage daughter and UBER, and I wanted to get an opinion on it. The daughter was going to her boyfriend's and told her mother she would take an Uber there. A few days later, the UBER driver showed up at her house demanding money for the trip, saying the daughter had promised to pay him later, instead of using her credit card.
This is a clear violation of Uber's TOS. it's probably illegal, as well, if the area in which it happened has any laws regulating taxicabs.

This guy definitely should be reported and terminated.

This is a clear violation of Uber's TOS.
Right. In fact, if the daughter is younger than 18, it's a violation of both the driver's terms of service and the terms of service for the Mom's rider account. Unaccompanied minor passengers are prohibited by both, and she could have her rider account terminated.
it's probably illegal, as well, if the area in which it happened has any laws regulating taxicabs.
Cash rides are a criminal offense in Florida under our new law, and are also prohibited in many other states. In some jurisdictions, transporting unaccompanied minors is also a criminal offense.

This guy definitely should be reported and terminated.
Agree. He's a loser on several levels.

That's just nuts. Did your co-worker speak to her DD? Did she agree to pay him later or did she pay him through the app? I don't even know of a way to request a ride via the app and NOT pay. I'd have all kinds of issues with them coming back later, for safety if nothing else. It NEEDS to be reported to Uber. Period. For the safety of everyone else using the service out there. It's drivers like this that give the entire ride share system a bad name. 99% are great. If not more. But it just takes one idiot to screw it all up

quick question,I've lost track of what's going on for Uber..... is tipping expected? I've used the service once or twice, but didn't realize we were supposed to rate the driver after....and I had thought it wasn;t a tipping thing? or is it? and it needs to be a cash tip,or on the cc at time of payment? thanks I plan to use it in a couple of weeks,and want to get it right this time (I saw that episode of Life in Pieces lol)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!