Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW

Comments comment brings up a question. I rarely bother to leave any. Always stars (5 have been earned in all of our rides, thank goodness) and always tip but since we are typically on the move that's all I do. Are comments something that carry significant impact for drivers? If so, I will be sure to leave a few words in the future. Anything if it helps the drivers out.
Compliments are always appreciated if you have time. If the driver did something you especially liked, the more specific your comments the more they mean to the driver. "Great guy!" is fine, but "Really enjoyed the suggestions for visiting Little Havana and the Florida Keys" tells the driver more clearly what you liked.

Uber has an option to award "badges" for various types of compliments as an option to save time. Actual comments are much more helpful and appreciated than badges.

Compliments, badges, etc, do NOT help a driver. They are nice to receive, but do not affect the driver's rating in any way.
And related, how can (or should I) express minor displeasure? A car the smells of cigarettes, or a driver who takes a call on a handheld phone?
Hmmm. Great question, and not as simple as it seems because it's difficult to assess how a driver is going to take feedback (even helpful suggestions they need to hear) based on a 10-15 minute interaction with them

I would NOT rate a rider less than 5 stars for something minor. My inclination would be to discuss the issue with them if I thought they would be open to helpful suggestions.

With regard to the two things you mentioned:
  • A smell of cigarette smoke is very annoying to many people, and really something that you should not encounter. It might not be entirely the driver's fault. Sometimes people are smoking when we arrive. They finish before I let them in my car, but the odor lingers in their hair and clothes and can really stink up a car. That said, windows do open, and driving for a few blocks with the windows open will remove most of the stench. Air fresheners are sold everywhere, and many drivers (especially drivers who smoke) carry Oxium spray. A driver who smokes themselves may very well not notice the odor...or, you could be smelling the driver.
  • I'm not a fan of drivers talking on the phone. I am focused on driving safely from A to B, and I want my drivers to be the same. When I'm on a ride, I do not answer the phone at all (or look at texts) unless I recognize the number as being a rider call being routed through one of Uber/Lyft's numbers to me. Those types of calls are extraordinarily rare -- I think I've only had two in almost 1,000 rides: one from a woman who left her purse :eek: in my car, and another from my next rider giving me pickup instructions.
All that said, I would be cautious about how I approached the driver. I would probably hand them their tip, tell them they were getting 5 stars, and then say, "...however..." I would phrase any suggestions as gently as possible, because you never know what that driver has dealt with in previous rides.

So...we're thinking of using Uber for an early ADR. My husband has used it before, but I haven't. I saw a free ride promo for new clients...I assume I could sign up for my own account and still get that even though we share an address? Also, is it likely someone will be able to get there quickly even if it's 7 AM or something?

So...we're thinking of using Uber for an early ADR. My husband has used it before, but I haven't. I saw a free ride promo for new clients...I assume I could sign up for my own account and still get that even though we share an address? Also, is it likely someone will be able to get there quickly even if it's 7 AM or something?
home address or email address? Home address doesn't matter, email address may be more difficult to work around
You'll need a 2nd account but yes, you and your DH can each have one. DH and I each do, I invited him.
We had Lyft drivers within 4 min at 6 AM and 1 AM last week.

Have your husband refer you. You and he will both get discounts/bonuses, etc. I'm not sure the addresses (physical or email) matter. What matters is the different cell number.

Also, be sure you both have both Uber and Lyft on both phones. That's 4 accounts, 4 sets of discounts, promotions, etc.

And you may be somewhere where Lyft doesn't service or the pickup ETA is too long. Or one system is surging and the other isn't. Or one company may have a type of service the other doesn't have (e.g. Uber's childseat options at WDW). Or lots of other reasons. Expand your horizons.

Okay, I've read the whole thing. (Got a little ugly there a time or two!). Anyway, I've used Uber a lot and am totally comfortable with them but I'm glad Lyft is now in Orlando and look forward to seeing the differences. I downloaded the Lyft app and I'm good to go, but nowhere have I found any info about car seats and Lyft. Even the Lyft site isn't clear. Anyone here know if Lyft provides car seats? TIA.

No, there are UberX's with car seats, too. The extra charge for the car seat is $8. But there are limited numbers of both UberX's & UberXL's with car seats, so one or the other, or both, may not be available at all times.

I stand corrected. It is $8 more and they are available in UberX. Sorry about that.

Okay, I've read the whole thing. (Got a little ugly there a time or two!). Anyway, I've used Uber a lot and am totally comfortable with them but I'm glad Lyft is now in Orlando and look forward to seeing the differences. I downloaded the Lyft app and I'm good to go, but nowhere have I found any info about car seats and Lyft. Even the Lyft site isn't clear. Anyone here know if Lyft provides car seats? TIA.
Sorry, Lyft does not offer car seats at all (in the Orlando market; don't know about other cities.)

home address or email address? Home address doesn't matter, email address may be more difficult to work around
You'll need a 2nd account but yes, you and your DH can each have one. DH and I each do, I invited him.
We had Lyft drivers within 4 min at 6 AM and 1 AM last week.
We have different email and phone. You can invite your spouse, huh? I'll have to discuss it with him.

Have your husband refer you. You and he will both get discounts/bonuses, etc. I'm not sure the addresses (physical or email) matter. What matters is the different cell number.

Also, be sure you both have both Uber and Lyft on both phones. That's 4 accounts, 4 sets of discounts, promotions, etc.

And you may be somewhere where Lyft doesn't service or the pickup ETA is too long. Or one system is surging and the other isn't. Or one company may have a type of service the other doesn't have (e.g. Uber's childseat options at WDW). Or lots of other reasons. Expand your horizons.
Yeah, unfortunately, it appears Uber's carseats won't accomodate us as they only go up to 48 pounds and. 52 inches. My son is only 6.5 but he's nearly 70 pounds and 51-52 inches. He uses a booster at home and we didn't want to drag one along for 1 or 2 car trips, so we figured we'd just buckle him in the best we can manage.

Yeah, unfortunately, it appears Uber's carseats won't accomodate us as they only go up to 48 pounds and. 52 inches. My son is only 6.5 but he's nearly 70 pounds and 51-52 inches. He uses a booster at home and we didn't want to drag one along for 1 or 2 car trips, so we figured we'd just buckle him in the best we can manage.
I would assume that's because in FL he's outside the limits of what is required by law to be in a car seat or booster. I get why he's still in a booster at home. DGD is 9 and she's still in one at home too. Though she's outside the requirements for being in one, she still fits in the limits for her seat. We don't bring anything with us to Disney. If you feel more comfortable you can get a Bubble Bum, if he's in the limit for it. We have one but I can't remember what it's limits are.

Heard today that we can soon see tipping added to Uber app. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Also, are pick ups still due to start at MCO on July 1?
They started tests in three markets yesterday, none in Florida. We don't know how quickly they will fully roll it out, or when it will start in any particular market.

In order to use the feature, you will have to rate the driver first...which will be a learning curve because the majority of riders do not rate their drivers.

You will still be able to tip in cash.

Heard today that we can soon see tipping added to Uber app. Anyone else heard anything about this?
Also, are pick ups still due to start at MCO on July 1?
This feature started in three cities and is expected to be rolled out everywhere by the end of July.

2 more changes affecting riders:
  • After requesting a ride, you'll have 2 minutes to cancel the request without incurring a cancellation fee. That's down from 5 minutes currently.
  • After the car arrives near your requested pickup area, you'll be charged wait time starting 2 minutes after arrival. The current rate in Orlando is $0.11 per minute. The driver will still have to wait until at least 5 minutes after arrival to cancel the trip as a no-show, incurring a cancellation fee.
These changes are scheduled to take effect sometime before the end of August.

As for airport pickups, the state law prohibiting airports and other venues from barring Uber/Lyft pickups goes into effect 7/1. I've seen an article in the local press saying OIA is preparing for the change. I haven't seen anything from Uber or Lyft yet saying that they will start accepting and relaying requests on 7/1 ... but we still have a couple of weeks to go.

This may be old news, but now you can see your (passenger) rating on Uber.

That was interesting. I'm polite, I tip, I never make a mess of the car -- and I'm not five stars. But there were two times when I was on the street but couldn't find the driver, so maybe that impacted my rating.

That was interesting. I'm polite, I tip, I never make a mess of the car -- and I'm not five stars. But there were two times when I was on the street but couldn't find the driver, so maybe that impacted my rating.
I noticed that yesterday when I looked to see if the App had any changes to it since I used it last. When the tip feature is rolled out fully I'll check it and use whoever has the car closer, more than likely. As a user I really didn't feel there was much of a different between the service I received though the few times I've spoken to drivers most of them tell me they prefer the system that Lyft has set up for assigning customers and payment, at least in the Disney area. I sort of figured they were pretty similar but I guess not

Don't worry about your rider rating. Unless you use Uber every day, you will have only a handfull of rides and one 4 will cause a dramatic drop in the average. Over time your rating will stabilize at a good level.

Tipping certainly will help your rating. Not being ready and using UberPool will hurt.

Don't worry about your rider rating. Unless you use Uber every day, you will have only a handfull of rides and one 4 will cause a dramatic drop in the average. Over time your rating will stabilize at a good level.

Tipping certainly will help your rating. Not being ready and using UberPool will hurt.

Thanks! We still don't have Uber where I live, so I only use it when I'm on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter