• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

epileptic (amongst other things) husband, gac questions

binkyboots

Evil Pastry
phew...

I've read the disABILITIES threads for a good portion of the evening, trying to glean the information I'm hunting out for our trip... but there's nothing like getting the specifics (planning for our holidays require details, lol)

My husband has cp (physically it's mild, muscle spasms, but he has a learning disability, very little idea of when a comment is innapropriate, no sense of time or danger), epilepsy, chronic pain and leg ulcers and a history of vascular problems (dvt)

we're planning a trip to wdw in October (I want him to be at the park on his birthday!) and I'm starting my "notebook of doom" now, I try to get down information on toilets, possible "cool down" zones and so on. he'll be using a wheelchair, manual and brought from home.

so, here goes the questions...

heat, overstimulation, crowded situations can trigger his seizures, at home we deal with it by staying away from large crowds, staying in when it's hot. but this is his holiday.
Do you think it would be appropriate to ask for a gac? if lines are short and cool we're more than happy to wait with everbody else, he likes people, will start up chatting with people, but I know that there's a sort of critical point where it becomes too much, too long and too stimulating for him to deal with, results in him seizing and then sleeping it off for an hour or two.

Also, are there any facilities at the first aid stations where he might be allowed to cool off if he starts feeling fitty (sometimes he gets a warning, tastes and visual disturbances, if we're quick we can sometimes avoid the seizure altogether)

otherwise... I guess I'm just nervous, I'm hoping he enjoys himself. In a lot of ways he's very innocent, he loves disney and cant wait to meet his favorite characters. oh, that's a question, any disabled adults (particularly those with learning disabilities) here (or carers of disabled adults) do the cast members interact with you? give you a little extra time, sometimes he just gets so wowed by an experience it takes him a minute to get his head round it.

I would not hesitate to get a GAC for alternate waiting areas in shade etc. Use it when you need to. Don't feel badly! I have a seizure disorder (only), and LUCKILY did not have any while I was at WDW in 1992 on my belated honeymoon :) . Your husband is lucky you're planning ahead. I doubt my husband would have known what to do if I had had one while we were there! Unfortunately, now we worry about our daughter and her many disabilities, including seizures (I'm controlled, at least!)
I do know that there's a first aid type building, and believe that would be an appropriate place to rest/cool down. I'm sure you'll get the answers you need here!
Joan

Yes, get the GAC. You may need it occasionally and best to have in hand. Explain the heat/crowd/seizure problem and say at times it may be best he wait somewhere quieter.

Two trips ago we utilized first aid for some motrin, ear plugs, peace and quiet and recharging. They were very nice and helpful.

My DS is an adult with special needs, and he loves character interaction. They are especially kind and patient with him !!! He loves to get his photo with them. You may also want to consider a few character meals, they are fun and plenty of tables are all adults.

Great that you are planning !

ah, thank you guys!

I think yes, we'll ask for the gac, even knowing we have options will help soothe my (very rattled) nerves!

I'll check about the first aid rooms at guest services too, having somewhere I know I can take him to to chill for a while is very helpfull indeed.

I'm glad to hear the chracters will interact with adults as well, I'm scared that disney is, just for kids, that as an adult he'll feel left out. he's very childlike at heart. :sunny:

I have one final question, I have swallowing troubles, can only eat a very limited amount of pureed foods, can restaurants accomodate that? with advance notice?

I'm also worried I've left it too late to book a chracater meal, I'd love to take Mike to the crystal palace (pooh is his hero!) but we're leaving on the 23rd :faint:

Don't know about the foods. Do you have a small portable grinder (plastic case and grind manually) you could carry just in case? We had one for our son when younger. I could puree any meal, wash it off in bathroom and put into a ziploc bag.

Luckily CP has several meals a day with characters. Call and keep calling right up until you leave. If you still don't get, try checking there in the morning. They may have something open up. Also, in Toontown you can meet Pooh (usually with Eeyore and Tigger). We always go to Toontown, because often they have taken just our family in the room with no others if the lines aren't too bad. Gives my son time with the characters without others watching and they fuss over him.

I get one for my best friend and he is 38. He has physical problems associated with fibromyalgia, RA, arthritis and a host of other things but the reason we get it is for his mental condition. He is bipolar with delusional thoughts and he can not be in a confining area or he thinks that people are going to hurt him which makes him a danger to himself and others He also may have a dash of autism from a behavioral point of view he acts a lot like my DS13 with noise, lights, and obcessing about certain subjects for weeks or months at a time. . At Disneyland it is a lot harder to get a GAC and even harder for an adult but it seems like WDW is a little more accomidating then Disneyland. I had to speak to a supervisor to get him one the first time and now they know us and don't give us a hard time.
It sounds like your hubby needs the GAC to even be in the parks so yes i suggest you get one and never feel guilty about having to use it. It is made for people like him. so that they can enjoy the same attractions as everyone else without having a meltdown or medical emergancy.
(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))
JenJen

We've used the nurses stations to change DS, cool down a little and when he has needed meds. They are awesome. Disney in general is the easiest place there is to vacation with multiple disabilites. DS has had seizures there but we've been lucky enough that it has been in our room each time. They are extremely accomodating and I'd think a call to WDW Dining or the Guest Services could answer definetively about pureeing your foods but I bet you'll find they can. Have a great trip!

What's GAC mean??

And the Crystal Palace should be an easy place to get into at last minute. We got in during christmas, and missed our priority seating by about 15 minutes, we forgot our camara in the car. The buffet is really good, and there's plenty of mac and cheese, mash potatoes and ice cream to go around. When we were there, a co-worker of ours just so happened to be there. He's a disney freak by all means, and pops up there about every other weekend. It was cool cause we went over and talked with him, then Tigger came over and sat down and joined in on the conversation... in the Tigger way, sat there for a good 10 minutes before moving on.

The first aid stations are great, and rarely ever busy. I had to make a couple trips last time to the one in Epcot. And they have no problems with taking you to the back to let you relax, or you could just sit up front in the waiting area and chit chat. They got a cold water fountain and cold AC. Although October should be fairly cool, that you won't over heat yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter