Epcot - world's most craptastic???

aussiegirls

DIS Veteran
Hi all :wave2:

So I was reading this article about the worlds most craptastic tourist attractions (as in world's worst) and Epcot made number 2 on the list. Having never been to Epcot I have no knowledge of whether or not it deserves that title.

It's quite a funny list to be honest, some of those places sound truly bizarre.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/blogs/...astic-tourist-attractions/20100810-11xrb.html

Have a read, and a bit of a laugh :lmao:

xxx

I agree that Epcot isn't nearly as exciting as the rest of Disneyworld, but I certainly wouldn't call it craptastic.

Admittedly, we missed out on a ton of Future World, but what we did get to experience, we loved. Test Track and Soarin' are two of the best rides in the whole of the World. Nemo was cute as was the Ellen ride (the name is escaping me right now). We enjoyed Mission: Space although didn't work up the courage to do the orange version.

I do see his point about World Showcase. It is geared towards most Americans who will likely never travel to those places in reality. I thought it was cute. We haven't taken my kids to Europe yet so it was cool for them to get a little taste of England, Italy, Germany and France. The Biergarten was possibly my husband's favourite part of WDW. The Kim Possible missions are so cool! My kids loved them and one regret is that we didn't get to finish them all. The World Showcase rides are pretty lame though. We were told to be sure to ride the Maelstrom as it "is the best ride in WDW" which was very far from the truth!

Most of those other ones sound like they belong on the craptastic list though! :lmao:

My family absolutely loves Epcot. It is probably the reason we are returning this year rather than going back to DLR. We spent the majority of our time in future world but liked World Showcase as well. We've planned two full days there this time.

Epcot is one of the main differentiators of WDW to being in SoCal.

I love Epcot and we really saw it in a different light doing the Kim Possible missions.

I love Ben Groundwaters column - read it every week. As for EPCOT I loved it but also agree with the comments on world showcase.

For me I love EPCOT but he is right about the world showcase.

The front of the park is fantastic and makes up for the hokey parts at the back. Anyway when are we going to be represented in the worldshow case.

Any ideas from any budding imagineers on what the downunder section could have in it?????

Epcot is great! The rides in Futureworld are among the best in WDW - Soarin especially. And the kids love Test Track (so do I to be truthful). My son and I rode it 9 times :rolleyes1

I also enjoyed Spaceship Earth, but maybe that's because I didn't have to line up for it?

There is also a pretty big and very well stocked Mousegear store right there in the middle - if you can't make it to DTD that's probably the best of the shops in the parks for variety.

The Showcase isn't the most exciting but it's still ok to stroll around, and some of the restaurants are outstanding. The ride inside Norway isn't the greatest show on earth - correct me if I'm wrong but it USED to be better - like when I was aw WDW in the 90's. When I saw it last year there seemed to be something mssing from it.

Showcase is definitely geared more towards the grown ups than the kids but there's still stuff for kids to do. My son loved playing the drums near Morocco.

The American Paviliion was a bit self-congratulatory.

As for it actually trying to take the place of a real visit to those countries - that's debateable. The only place I found close was Germany - clean, quiet and expensive.

I think one hole in the World Showcase is Australia.

The nighttime fireworks and light shows are GREAT. Hang about for them if you can.

Added: Actually, after reading the paragraph he wrote about this, I'm not sure he actually gets it. In fact I'm not even convinced he's even been there. Epcot isn't WDW's "neighbour" - it's right smack in the middle. I think he thinks (as do a lot of people) that the MK is "Disney World". And he completely fails to mention the Futureworld part, which is truly awesome.

Last time I was there, I was told that the only way that the countries that already exist in World's Showcase got their guernsey, was because the governments/tourism departments gave a financial contribution to Disney to ensure their participation.

Guess that counts out Australia.........

Mind you, I will check again when I arrive there in 2 1/2 weeks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter