EPCOT to become “more Disney”

What would you like to see EPCOT become?

• Total voters
You are really underestimating the markup on alcohol and how much of it is absolute pure profit. My god, people are paying for the privilege to come in and just buy alcohol. It's nuts how much they must make off that.
That’s why I am not completely against drinking in the parks to a certain point. If you want to give all your hard earned money to the mouse be my guest. I will drink in my hotel room for a 1/4 of the cost.

True, But in club 33 they were not allowed to walk around the park with alcohol. Club 33 was initially a place for investors to hang out.

Alcohol was the whole point of Club 33, a place to do business and have a drink while doing so.

Alcohol was the whole point of Club 33, a place to do business and have a drink while doing so.
Walt was also notorious for having a places for his elites and friends to relax. He had a “boys club” at the studios. One of the reasons that led to infamous strike. He wanted Club 33 but didn’t want it to spill out in the park. That was one of the things he detested about Boardwalks

Walt was also notorious for having a places for his elites and friends to relax. He had a “boys club” at the studios. One of the reasons that led to infamous strike. He wanted Club 33 but didn’t want it to spill out in the park. That was one of the things he detested about Boardwalks

As I've said many times before Walt Disney was a creative genius, however he will never be a candidate for sainthood.

As I've said many times before Walt Disney was a creative genius, however he will never be a candidate for sainthood.
I always had this idea of Walt Disney as the "Uncle Walt" wholesome persona, stand up guy. Then I became really interested in Disney history and I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable and whoa I've learned some things... definitely not a saint by any stretch of imagination.

I always had this idea of Walt Disney as the "Uncle Walt" wholesome persona, stand up guy. Then I became really interested in Disney history and I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable and whoa I've learned some things... definitely not a saint by any stretch of imagination.

"Uncle Walt" was a purposefully crafted persona. He deliberately made sure that people, kids especially, didn't see him smoking, etc. because he didn't want to set a bad example. He was no saint for sure, but he also wasn't a bad guy - he was just a normal person though.

I'm not sure what being a 'saint' - or not being a 'saint'! - has to do with it? :-)

You can like a drink yourself, but still see the benefit of certain alcohol-free or alcohol-limited environments.

It's perfectly possible that Walt liked a tipple, but that it still wasn't what he wanted for his family theme park.

If as Brian says above, Walt avoided smoking around kids so as not to set a bad example, then it makes sense to me that he might not like how Epcot has evolved in terms of alcohol for similar reasons.

I'm not sure what being a 'saint' - or not being a 'saint'! - has to do with it? :-)

You can like a drink yourself, but still see the benefit of certain alcohol-free or alcohol-limited environments.

It's perfectly possible that Walt liked a tipple, but that it still wasn't what he wanted for his family theme park.

If as Brian says above, Walt avoided smoking around kids so as not to set a bad example, then it makes sense to me that he might not like how Epcot has evolved in terms of alcohol for similar reasons.

Walt was not against drinking and certainly enjoyed it, but he didn't like the atmosphere at the carnivals and other amusement ride locations where the kids would ride things and the parents would sit on a bench, the dad drinking beer, littering, etc. He wanted the kids and parents to have fun together, so he wanted to engage those dads with something other than alcohol. It's not that he was morally against it or anything, he just didn't want that kind of enviroment in his park. Club 33 would be a place the kids weren't too likely coming, so it was allowed there.

Walt used to say, ""I'm not Walt Disney. I do a lot of things Walt Disney would not do. Walt Disney does not smoke. I smoke. Walt Disney does not drink. I drink." The "Walt" that we all knew was not the man he really was. That's not to malign the man, he was pretty decent for the most part by all accounts, he just wasn't that perfect character that he put forward on TV every week.

Last edited:
Walt was not against drinking and certainly enjoyed it, but he didn't like the atmosphere at the carnivals and other amusement ride locations where the kids would ride things and the parents would sit on a bench, the dad drinking beer, littering, etc. He wanted the kids and parents to have fun together, so he wanted to engage those dads with something other than alcohol. It's not that he was morally against it or anything, he just didn't want that kind of enviroment in his park. Club 33 would be a place the kids weren't too likely coming, so it was allowed there.

Walt used to say, ""I'm not Walt Disney. I do a lot of things Walt Disney would not do. Walt Disney does not smoke. I smoke. Walt Disney does not drink. I drink." The "Walt" that we all knew was not the man he really was. That's not to malign the man, he was pretty decent for the mopst part by all accounts, he just wasn't that perfect character that he put forward on TV every week.

THIS EXACTLY! ::yes::::yes::

Walt used to say, ""I'm not Walt Disney. I do a lot of things Walt Disney would not do. Walt Disney does not smoke. I smoke. Walt Disney does not drink. I drink." The "Walt" that we all knew was not the man he really was. That's not to malign the man, he was pretty decent for the most part by all accounts, he just wasn't that perfect character that he put forward on TV every week.

Even today carnivals etc focus around the beer tent,

Walt wanted a place where families could have fun TOGETHER one of the ways he made that possible was by not selling alcohol in the parks, So it was no longer Dad in the Beer tent Mom stuck with the kids.

With a lot of friends that own restaurants there is no profit like the profit from AlcoDollars. And its why a lot of places went out of business when they went to takeout only - because they lost the alcohol profits.

Even today carnivals etc focus around the beer tent,

Walt wanted a place where families could have fun TOGETHER one of the ways he made that possible was by not selling alcohol in the parks, So it was no longer Dad in the Beer tent Mom stuck with the kids.

With a lot of friends that own restaurants there is no profit like the profit from AlcoDollars. And its why a lot of places went out of business when they went to takeout only - because they lost the alcohol profits.

My parents just brought us in the beer tent with them (Sea World in the early 90s, I think).

Excuse me, can someone clue me on on what IP is? I am reading through this thread, straining my brain. I can usually figure out initials by reading the thread and getting an idea of what is being discussed. IP has me stumped.

Epcot has always been my least favorite park, for the mere fact that there are not many rides. Epcot was the park we did on our arrival day. Got it out of the way, so we could say we went to Epcot. My oldest son loved MS and TT as a child, but now that he is an adult, he can take them or leave them. Spaceship Earth is my "nap" ride. I am all for Disney adding new rides at Epcot. If they can start attracting more families, it may thin out the crowds at the other 3 parks. I can't wait for GOG to open.

Excuse me, can someone clue me on on what IP is? I am reading through this thread, straining my brain. I can usually figure out initials by reading the thread and getting an idea of what is being discussed. IP has me stumped.

Epcot has always been my least favorite park, for the mere fact that there are not many rides. Epcot was the park we did on our arrival day. Got it out of the way, so we could say we went to Epcot. My oldest son loved MS and TT as a child, but now that he is an adult, he can take them or leave them. Spaceship Earth is my "nap" ride. I am all for Disney adding new rides at Epcot. If they can start attracting more families, it may thin out the crowds at the other 3 parks. I can't wait for GOG to open.
This has always been my biggest reason for it being bottom of the list for me. Even if they didn't inject more IP into the park it needs more rides period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter